What's new

Marlins select Sterling Sharp in Rule 5 Draft

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I heard this guy's sinker has some really sharp movement.

SongInTheAir

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Marlins really sticking to the "relievers who throw strikes" thing with Sharp and Yimi. I'm happy with it. Strikeouts are nice, but walks are infuriating, so I'll take a guy with a 9 K/9 if he's walking fewer than 3 guys in those 9. Not like the 2019 Marlins bullpen, which was "hitters will either walk, homer, or strikeout and it will always be the one that is least convenient to the Marlins at the time"

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Would have preferred a guy like Jose Rojas. Kind of reminds me of a lefty Dan Uggla, but can play multiple positions (albeit at Uggla level defense at each.)

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Under Rule 5 requirements, Sharp must spend 90 active days on the Marlins’ 25-man roster before the team can use minor-league options on him. If the Marlins fail to meet those requirements, he’ll be returned to the Nationals.
Did the Rule 5 rules change? It's no longer having to keep them up for an entire season?

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
That 90 days thing only seems to apply if they go on the IL it looks like:

Rule 5 Draft:
Definition

Held each December, the Rule 5 Draft allows clubs without a full 40-man roster to select certain non-40-man roster players from other clubs. Clubs draft in reverse order of the standings from the previous season. Players who signed with their current club at age 18 or younger and have played professionally for at least five years are eligible to be selected, as are those who signed at 19 or older and have at least four years of professional experience.

Not every club will make a selection, but those that do pick a player must pay $100,000 to the club from which said player was selected. Rule 5 Draft picks are assigned directly to the drafting club's 25-man roster and must be placed on outright waivers in order to be removed from the 25-man roster in the subsequent season. Should the player clear waivers, he must be offered back to his previous team for $50,000 and can be outrighted to the Minors only if his original club does not wish to reacquire him. A Rule 5 Draft pick can be placed on the Major League injured list, but he must be active for a minimum of 90 days to avoid being subject to the aforementioned roster restrictions in the next campaign.

Clubs may trade a player selected in the Rule 5 Draft, but the same restrictions apply to the player's new organization. However, a club may also work out a trade with the Rule 5 pick's original club to acquire his full rights, thereby allowing him to be optioned to the Minors under traditional circumstances.

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Showing my age but he was a damn good receiver for the Packers

Top Bottom