What's new

Marlins still searching for experienced closer?

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
"Boston, Florida and Cleveland have interest in right-handed closer Akinori Otsuka if Texas becomes convinced Eric Gagne is healthy enough to handle the job."

On Brad Lidge:

"Florida, Boston and Cleveland would have interest. The Rockies inquired about him during the winter and would seem a possibility, too. Lidge still lives in the Denver area and has said in the past he would like to pitch for the Rockies at some point."

courtesy of the rockymountainnews:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/spor...5482233,00.html

Both of those statements are worded differently. The first on Otsuka, says that we "have interest," which makes me think we have explored this option recently. The second on Lidge, says that we "would have interest," which makes me think that it's more speculation than anything else.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lidge has 1 year till he is a FA we wouldnt give up much for him specially wit hhis salary. Boston or Cleveland are most likely places along with Philly.

Still yes I am sure he would be interesting here. If he got his head on straight he could give us a great bullpen. Still, I dont see it happening.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Our problem with closer this season hasn't been not having someone who could do the job, it was putting the wrong person in to do the job. I think Owens or Lindstrom could do the job well, so it's not really time to go out looking for a closer.

Psycho Sid

Muckdog
Reaction score
Otsuka is a beast. I'd love to have him on the Marlins. But I don't see why Texas would trade him away with Gagne's injury history. They'd probably ask for a lot, too.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd take either of them. However, I doubt we make the move, or either are truly "available" at a price that makes sense for us.

The_Punisher

Muckdog
Reaction score
Otsuka is a beast. I'd love to have him on the Marlins. But I don't see why Texas would trade him away with Gagne's injury history. They'd probably ask for a lot, too.

AND on top of it all, with it being Texas they'll prob want one of our starters in return.

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd prefer Otsuka, but then again if I was the GM, Julio wouldn't have been acquired at all; the young guys were impressing in the spring and I didn't think it was necessary to bring a "proven closer" in at all, yet we did. The young guys continue to impress and again, I really don't think anyone NEEDS to be brought in.

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
release julio bring back garner ...problem solved...although of the two i would prefer Akinori Otsuka because he is on my fantasy team

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Trade Julio for the Japanese dude, even if he were deported right after the trade we would be the better

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd take either of them if we're willing to take on salary.

Top Bottom