Marlins strike out in Tallahassee

canada-marlin24

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins strike out in Tallahassee

By Sarah Talalay and Linda Kleindienst
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted May 4 2007, 4:18 PM EDT

The Marlins have struck out in the Legislature again.

The Senate adjourned Friday afternoon without taking up the request for a $60 million sales tax rebate to complete the financing for a new $490 million ballpark in Miami, despite the House's overwhelming 86-24 vote for the measure last week.

Legislators said the bill was the victim of political wrangling between the two chambers in the final days of the session and a long-running feud between Sen. Rudy Garcia, R-Hialeah, and Sen. Alex Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, who both supported the measure, but couldn't agree on whose name would appear on the bill.

The measure's failure is a significant blow to the team, Miami-Dade County and Miami city officials who thought the state would finally grant the funding on the sixth try in the past eight years.

"It's very disappointing. I thought this was going to be the year," Miami Mayor Manny Diaz said Friday afternoon when it looked as if the bill wouldn't be considered by the Senate. "Everybody did."

But as he did after the funding request wasn't heard in the Senate in 2005, Diaz vowed not to give up on completing a deal.

"What happens is I'm going to go back and fight harder than ever to find a local solution to the building of the stadium and keeping the Marlins," Diaz said. "I think if we put our heads together, I think it can still be done."

Reaction score
Omg, this is so stupid. Im disgusted. You know you almost hate....almost hate to say it but maybe if they did leave it would be better. F^%k the senate. How did this happen? im distraught, GD, MF, S, F, D,H all of them. whos name will we put on it? Are you kidding me? Uggghhhhh im gonna go jump off a MF Bridge now. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

sdg210

Muckdog
Reaction score
Does this mean no shot at state money? If so, when will Cabrera and Willis be shipped?

All I know is, that if ANY other team goes up to get money, I WILL FIGHT AGAINST IN ANYWAY I CAN!!!! If they somehow do get money, I will launch an immediate investigation into the undertakings of Congress!!!

Reaction score
Im still in shock

Ok lets organize, get does or can anybody get the email adress that these guys use?

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've said it before, i'll say it again.... I hate this f***ing state! :banghead

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cabrera and Willis will not be shipped. The team has made plans to retain them that are independent of the ballpark.

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
Legislators said the bill was the victim of political wrangling between the two chambers in the final days of the session and a long-running feud between Sen. Rudy Garcia, R-Hialeah, and Sen. Alex Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, who both supported the measure, but couldn't agree on whose name would appear on the bill.

So if I understand this correctly, it didn't pass because two senators couldn't agree whose name to put on the bill?

dot dot dot...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is there a Plan B?
The state was not plan A. Plan A continues as normal with all the sides working at the table. The state was some easy candy they couldn't score.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
yawn

So if I understand this correctly, it didn't pass because two senators couldn't agree whose name to put on the bill?

dot dot dot...
no, that's somebody trying to deflect the blame on those two.

FishFan24

Muckdog
Reaction score
This was supposed to be the best chance the Marlins had at getting the rebate out of Tallahassee was it not? I mean that is what we were all lead to believe. I seriously doubt that a $30 million gap is going to be the death kneel for this stadium. The three sides had to go into the session knowing that there was a strong possibility of this thing not passing again...

GoGiancarlo4456

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is there a Plan B?
The state was not plan A. Plan A continues as normal with all the sides working at the table. The state was some easy candy they couldn't score.

so what is the real plan A?

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is there a Plan B?

so what is the real plan A?
Plan A for the Fish: Have the City/County cave in and pay the gap
Plan A for the City/County: Have Loria cave in and pay the gap

Hence the negotiations continuing. The funding gap and location have to be decided, but that all depends on the Canes.

I am doing research and an article on this....so stay tuned.

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
This was supposed to be the best chance the Marlins had at getting the rebate out of Tallahassee was it not? I mean that is what we were all lead to believe. I seriously doubt that a $30 million gap is going to be the death kneel for this stadium. The three sides had to go into the session knowing that there was a strong possibility of this thing not passing again...

You would certainly hope so. Who knows how this will play out, but I see the 2 remaining options as: 1. The three sides get together and find another $30 million. This should be relatively easy, but as we know, nothing is easy with the Marlins stadium. 2. Is that UM moves to Dolphin Stadium and more city and county money suddenly becomes available. This also seems likely as UM stand to make millions more per year at DS.

Top Bottom