What's new

Marlins to promote Olsen

MasterChief

Muckdog
Reaction score
Credit : MLB.com

MIAMI -- The Marlins are promoting right-handed pitcher Kevin Olsen from Triple-A Albuquerque, and he is taking the roster spot of struggling right-handed reliever Vladimir Nunez.
Olsen's agent, John Esposito, confirmed to MLB.com that the 26-year-old will be appearing on the Marlins' roster for the first time this season.

The fate of Nunez has yet to be decided. The right-hander is 0-3 with a 16.03 ERA, giving up 19 earned runs and seven homers in 10 2/3 innings. The Marlins are trying to decide if they will option Nunez to Triple-A Albuquerque or possibly outright him.

Nunez did not travel Monday with the team to Milwaukee.

The Marlins had no comment on pending roster moves. Official announcement is expected Tuesday before the Marlins play the Brewers at Miller Park.

Olsen was 0-5 with a 4.53 ERA in 17 games with the Marlins last year but spent most of the year in Triple-A. He pitched most of the season with a neck/back problem.

In Albuquerque, he was 2-1 with a 2.11 ERA and had 28 strikeouts with seven walks. He gave up nine earned runs in 38 1/3 innings.

Nunez started the season with the Marlins but got off to a rough start and was sent to Triple-A on April 25. He was activated from Albuquerque on Thursday. Again, he ran into trouble, giving up a walk and a double against the only two A's batters he faced. On Saturday, he gave up three runs in the ninth inning to the Angels.

Last season, Nunez was one of the Marlins' most dependable relievers. He was 6-5 with a 3.41 ERA in 97 2/3 innings. His 20 saves were the most on the team.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thats good to see Olsen back! We havent seen him since last year. I hope he pitches well, He has great stuff but struggled mightly with us last year but hopefully he has put things together. Finally Nunez is sent back down. Im Convinced already....we should release him!

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Im Convinced already....we should release him!
I'm still in awe that he has played like this...

Amazing how you can go from being the best pitcher in the bullpen to having to buy tickets in the Terrace box or Oasis to even come near it.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Me too, he's been the staple of the bullpen for 3 or 4 years now it seemed.

Give him time, let him work it out in AAA this year. If he can't get it together, it's 1.4 million going to someone else.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's a thought:

Add him to a deal that involves Lee or Castillo and dump his salary with them, so we don't have to pay him, which we would have to if we realeased him. :mischief2

marlins02

its about time, judging by the stats Olsen pitched well in AAA this year and he should be given a chance, especially with Nunez getting rocked everytime he goes out.
i like the idea of trying to involve him in any trade we make like we did last offseason with Darensbourg

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
i like the idea of trying to involve him in any trade we make
"One Luis Castillo coming up... 0o0o0 yes, I forgot, with every order of a Luis Castillo or Derrek Lee, you will recieve a Vladimir Nunez!" :p

marlins02

damn right, dont just take our good stuff, take our overly expensive junk to. :D
im not calling nunez junk personally, for those that will jump on me for saying that, i just used it for the example

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's a thought:

Add him to a deal that involves Lee or Castillo and dump his salary with them, so we don't have to pay him, which we would have to if we realeased him. :mischief2
That'll be a great Idea. If we can trade him along with Luis or Lowell it will help Decrease our budget. Vladi wont get his act together right now so we might as well trade him while he is struggling...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
No one will take him, even as a throw in. He's too expensive.

Ouright his a**. 1.4 mil a year, prorated for about a 3rd of a season? Sounds like around a million in the piggy bank going towards the Marlins' "2004 keep someone who is decent instead of trading them off for prespects" Fundraiser.

Top Bottom