Mattingly: 'It's time' for Marlins to take next step

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score

miamibaseball

Muckdog
Reaction score
i hope so we need see team take next step we joke of mlb because team been so bad

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
#cheapJeter isn't happy enough with the current step, wants to take the next one too.

Reaction score
I agree that mattingly is a terrible in game manager, but the players seem to like him. So for a rebuilding team that’s not a bad thing to have a player’s manager.

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
I agree that mattingly is a terrible in game manager, but the players seem to like him. So for a rebuilding team that’s not a bad thing to have a player’s manager.
Would be great if we had two managers. One as the in game guy (who could only be worse than Mattingly if he were Dusty Baker) and then Mattingly for clubhouse stuff.

Reaction score
This meme of Mattingly's in-game blunders has got to go. I've yet to see a compelling argument for how Mattingly has mismanaged either the bullpen or overall in-game strategy. A lot of the complaints last year boiled down to "Conley sucks" and "Chen sucks," neither of which is in the control of Donnie. He only can use the bullpen he's given. I bet this year, some folks are going to start thinking Donnie has started managing better, even though they can't out their finger on why -- spoiler, it's going to be because he has a better bullpen this year.

Moreover, Jeff Sullivan (who works for the Rays now) said on the podcast Effectively Wild last week that the public only sees 1% of a manager's job, and I believe that. We love to second-guess all the moves in-game that blow up, but really between flights and pregame prep, these players spend about twice as much time preparing for a game than playing it. I suspect the average MLB manager does WAY more than they'll ever get credit for.

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
This meme of Mattingly's in-game blunders has got to go. I've yet to see a compelling argument for how Mattingly has mismanaged either the bullpen or overall in-game strategy. A lot of the complaints last year boiled down to "Conley sucks" and "Chen sucks," neither of which is in the control of Donnie. He only can use the bullpen he's given. I bet this year, some folks are going to start thinking Donnie has started managing better, even though they can't out their finger on why -- spoiler, it's going to be because he has a better bullpen this year.

Moreover, Jeff Sullivan (who works for the Rays now) said on the podcast Effectively Wild last week that the public only sees 1% of a manager's job, and I believe that. We love to second-guess all the moves in-game that blow up, but really between flights and pregame prep, these players spend about twice as much time preparing for a game than playing it. I suspect the average MLB manager does WAY more than they'll ever get credit for.
I'll agree there's behind the scenes stuff you don't know, and we won't know who's available and not available, but I remember a few times last season when we'd have a 1 or 2 run lead late in the game and then he puts in Chen, knowing he'll implode, that's not a good choice.

Or the same when we just put up several runs to get within a run or two, just to bring in Chen or Conley who immediately proceeds to give up 4-5 and put the team right back in the hole.

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
Yeah, my biggest gripe with Mattingly is that he would often treat 2-3 run deficits as if the game were over. 3-1 in the 7th inning? Better just let Chen, Conley, or Kinley in because we already lost! (And then we'd lose 7-4 or something like that.) Mattingly does fine in between games and he's usually okay enough with lineup construction (except he often refuses to ride players on hot streaks). It's the in-the-moment moves, many of which are bullpen related, where he seems to struggle.

Top Bottom