What's new

May 4, 2007 - Padres @ Marlins - 7:05 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dontrelle Willis

(5-1, 5.35 ERA)

Vs.
Greg Maddux

(2-2, 3.86 ERA)

Game preview courtesy MLB.com:

05/03/2007 3:50 PM ET
Willis set for big-time duel with Maddux
San Diego (15-13) at Florida (13-14), Friday, 7:05 p.m. ET
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

A year ago, home field wasn't necessarily an advantage when the Marlins faced the Padres.

The two teams split their six games, with Florida winning two of three in San Diego, but dropping two of three at home.

On Friday night, the Marlins take on the Padres at Dolphin Stadium in the first of three games. The Marlins return home after taking two of three from the Mets at Shea Stadium, and going 3-3 on their road trip.

An ideal pitching matchup is on slate as Florida sends Dontrelle Willis to the mound in quest of an Major League-leading sixth win. Willis went 5-1 in April, and is 8-11 with a 4.37 ERA in his career during the month of May.

The Padres counter with veteran Greg Maddux, who has a 19-12 career record and a 2.69 ERA against Florida. Lifetime at Dolphin Stadium, the veteran is 9-7 with a 2.93 ERA.

This will be Maddux's 39th appearance against the Marlins.

Willis has a career mark of 2-1 with a 4.00 ERA while taking on San Diego. His first Major League win, in 2003, was at San Diego.

The last time Willis opposed San Diego was on Aug. 17, 2005. He was on the winning end, turning in a complete-game 6-0 shutout.

Pitching matchup
FLA: LHP Dontrelle Willis (5-1, 5.35)
Forced to battle for 6 1/3 innings, Willis ended up beating the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on Saturday. The D-Train gave up four earned runs (five total) and struck out seven while allowing nine hits to improve to 14-2 with a 3.18 ERA in his career during April.

SD: RHP Greg Maddux (2-2, 3.86)
There were no surprises from Maddux in his outing on Saturday, a seven-inning effort at home against the Dodgers. He had trouble early, but he said he began to locate better as the game went on. Maddux retired the last 14 hitters he faced, a string spanning from the second out of the third inning until the end of seventh. He allowed two runs on five hits, striking out three and walking one for the victory.

Player to watch
Adrian Gonzalez, a former first overall pick of the Marlins, is having a solid season as the Padres' first baseman. The left-handed hitter entered Wednesday batting .310 with seven home runs and 26 RBIs.

On the Internet
- MLB.TV
- Gameday Audio
- Gameday
- Official game notes

On television
- FSN Florida

On radio
- 560 WQAM, 1140 AM WQBA (Espa?ol)

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lineups :)

Hanley
Uggla
Miggy
Jake
Hammer
Borchard
Olivo
Fredo
Dontrelle

canada-marlin24

Muckdog
Reaction score
wow i still cannot beleive that anibal was sent down....anyway we need this one tonight

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
Arg, this is one of the games that's in the game package that my cable provider (Cox) didn't pick up, so I won't be able to watch it. :-(

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't believe I missed Dog night!!!!!!!!! I'm so pissed at myself for not going to this game. Willis vs. Maddux and what could have been my Doberman's first game ever.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nice top of the first for Dontrelle. I just realized I have no frickin excuse for not being there tonight. Oh well, I'll be there tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom