What's new

McKeon rips into team

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
credit:flamarlins.com
LOS ANGELES -- Different day. Same old story.

Only the names have changed, but the storyline remains the same.

The Marlins' inability to produce offensively resulted in yet another frustrating close loss.

This time, Brad Penny was the snakebitten loser in a 2-1 setback to the Dodgers, who swept the three-game series before 43,775 fans Sunday afternoon at Dodger Stadium.

Despite giving up two runs on five hits in six innings, Penny watched his record fall to 2-3.

The Marlins were 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position, and scratched out just three runs in the three losses.

Falling a season-worst seven games under .500, manager Jack McKeon delivered a heated postgame speech in the clubhouse.

"We're better than this," said McKeon, who lit into the team he took over a week ago Sunday. "We've got to battle our way out of this. These guys are good players. It's embarrassing to go out there and get three runs in three days. I'm not going to stand for it. We'll do something to shake it up."

Under Jeff Torborg, whom McKeon replaced, the Marlins rarely heard the wrath of their manager. The Marlins are now 3-4 since McKeon took over.

Hideo Nomo, who gave up one run in seven innings, collected the win. And for the third straight game, closer Eric Gagne polished up in the ninth -- striking out the side in order -- for his 15th save in as many chances.

"You've got to get more than three runs," McKeon said. "If you didn't know they were better than that, it would be different. I don't want guys feeling sorry for themselves. I want them to go out there and hit."

McKeon gave his Vince Lombardi impression and lectured the team that, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going. That's what I want, the tough to get going."

The difference Sunday was the clutch two-out hitting by second baseman Alex Cora, who pushed across both Dodgers runs.

Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell welcomes the criticism, but adds each player gets motivated differently.

"Sure, why not?" Lowell said of McKeon's postgame tirade. "If we're not doing the job, I'm all for it, letting the guys know."

Cora helped out in the field, too, turning a key 4-6-3 double play to get out of the eighth.

With runners at first and second and one out, pinch-hitter Ivan Rodriguez bounced a grounder up the middle. Cora made a nice grab and flip to shortstop Cesar Izturis to start the double play.

The Marlins lost two of the three games by a 2-1 score.

"I think we're trying too hard," said Luis Castillo, who was 1-for-4 and was thrown out stealing. "Three games, three runs. We can do better than that."

Castillo had no problem with McKeon speaking up.

"For me, I think he did the right thing, because we have to play better than we have right now," Castillo said. "Sometimes, when things happen. We have to try to do something different to score runs. We want to win. Everybody tries."

Cora put the Dodgers ahead by a run with an RBI single in the fourth. Catcher David Ross doubled with one out, and after Penny struck out Nomo, Cora delivered the game-winning hit.

All series, the Marlins struggled generating runs against the Dodgers.

Facing Nomo was no different.

The Marlins pushed across a run in the second on Todd Hollandsworth's RBI single to center, easily scoring Mike Lowell -- who doubled -- from second.

As they have done in the three games, they squandered chances with runners on and less than two outs.

In the third, Juan Pierre walked and moved to second on Luis Castillo's single over short. With two on and no outs, Juan Encarnacion lined out to third. The Marlins then attempted a double steal, but it was negated when Ross threw Castillo out going to second. Nomo struck Lowell out to end the threat.

The Marlins' lead was short lived as the Dodgers scored with two outs in the second. After working out of a bases-loaded jam in the first, Penny registered two quick outs in the second before Nomo singled. The Dodgers pitcher scored standing up on Cora's triple.

"Everybody talked about our pitching going down, but our pitching has been fine all year," Pierre said. "We just haven't scored runs all year. Offensively, we just have to get it going."

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I agree....

It is needed.

Lowell and Castillo will use this as motivation for themselves....

Will the rest?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
let's hope DLee had a personal message from McKeon

"start hitting or you'll be warming the bench, while watching Banks at 1st"

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
did u see today game ? it said

One Year Ago : Avg 242 8 HRS 25 RBI
Current : Avg 242 7 HRS 28 RBI

he aslo starts slow ... remeber in June ? he hit 318 8 HRS 19 RBI

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
and do you remember how last year lee heated up when the marlins were out of the race?

ship him off to another team that is willing to put up with his headaches....

on a semi-related note....did i hear something about doug m. getting hurt today?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

One Year Ago : Avg 242 8 HRS 25 RBI
Current : Avg 242 7 HRS 28 RBI

he aslo starts slow ... remeber in June ? he hit 318 8 HRS 19 RBI
DLee's real stats .238 8hr 22rbi....not what you said above

get your facts straight....

DLee only plays well when there is no pressure.... its no coincidence

Doug M severely rolled his ankle....he is going on the DL "HR" said....maybe out 2 months

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I am just thrilled to hear Mckeon layed down the law today. As a fan its been a very rough weekend, yesterday you knew Almanza wasn't going to get the job done, and to sit there and watch it unfold before your eyes, it was extraordinarily frustrating. A pity because a one run shut-out might have been inspirational for the team. After that today's loss was preordained.

I read that Pudge may only play 5 out of 7 games under Mckeon. I posted about that yesterday, I want a healthy Pudge back. He's the key. Castillo and Piere will get on base even more often if Pudge regains his late April form. Those three, when they are all in sync are a run machine.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
A manager with some fire. :w00t

Could this be the turning point? :unsure :

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
A couple of interesting things are happening it seems. McKeon is bringing some fire, that is good and much-needed. But the fact is the Marlins are not hitting, the pitching has been stellar and that is being overshadowed considering we have 3 starters out. Give the pitching staff some props. But the hitting has vanished now and the Marlins cannot seem to match all three aspects of their game together. If we have pitching, we dont have offense, etc. (Defense is the third aspect, in case you are wondering... :) )

So Doug Mientkiewicz went down? Could a trade with Minnesota be imminent? I dont want to toot my own horn but...I did say they could be a target for D Lee - of course I wanted Doug M in that deal... :banghead

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's the latest article on your boy Doug

Doug's injured (link)

From what I can see, besides having a badly sprained ankle and being out 10days - 2 weeks, the guy is slow (zero SBs), doesn't hit for power and is a .260-.275 hitter. Why the heck would you want this guy? There is nothing special about him, nothing at all.

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score

One Year Ago : Avg 242? 8 HRS? 25 RBI
Current : Avg 242? ? 7 HRS? ? 28 RBI

he aslo starts slow ... remeber in June ? he hit? 318? ? 8 HRS? 19 RBI
DLee's real stats .238 8hr 22rbi....not what you said above

get your facts straight....

DLee only plays well when there is no pressure.... its no coincidence

Doug M severely rolled his ankle....he is going on the DL "HR" said....maybe out 2 months Like i said Lee is better than u .. He will get out of his slump . And when June comes around he ganna get deadly !

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
you fool...

I know DLee is better than me...he is better than anyone on this board but he does not contribute....

I could strikeout on 3 pitches looking....it's not hard...

he needs to take a seat for a game or two.....i hope he turns it around, he means alot to this lineup, any chance of the Marlins turning this ship around is if DLee and Pudge start producing

bottom line

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
by the time he heats up he'll be gone... The Marlins aian't going to pay him $7,250,000 for his crappy services...

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's the latest article on your boy Doug

Doug's injured (link)

From what I can see, besides having a badly sprained ankle and being out 10days - 2 weeks, the guy is slow (zero SBs), doesn't hit for power and is a .260-.275 hitter. Why the heck would you want this guy? There is nothing special about him, nothing at all.
Remember a couple of years ago when the Twins blew up on the scene (facing contraction, like our Marlins, but showing a pulse)? Doug M was a leader on that team, plays great D (like Lee) and has solid speed (do you really need your 1B to steal 20+ a year?). In 2001, he batted .306, 15HR and had an OPS of .851. Now I know those stats are old, and not better than anything Lee has put up. But, from what I have seen of DM he is clutch, a fiery leader, and could be had cheap and could play first until/if AD Gonz and Stokes are ready. Also, we could get Doug M and a prospect (I dont know who the Twins have...) for Lee. I think Miens could be an excellent hitter for a 'small ball' team especially at JRS.

By the way, it has just been reported (On baseball tonight) that M is not going to go to DL.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
how much does Dougie make?

Twins cant take on $ remember

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Doug makes $1,750,000 this year... says ESPN..
ok then....

Twins cannot afford Doug

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
How about "The Mayor" :mischief2

Reds want to dump him..

Top Bottom