McKeon thinks Lowell will stay

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
link
McKeon believes Lowell will stay a Marlin
By Steve Gorten, staff writer
June 9 2003

Some believe it's only a matter of time before Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell is traded, likely to the Cubs or Dodgers.

But Manager Jack McKeon said Sunday he doubts any move will be made.
"I really believe in my heart, unless it's something that is overwhelming, they [management]have no intentions," McKeon said. "I haven't been led to believe ..."

"They want to keep these guys, as many guys as they can possibly keep, I really believe that. Now, I'm not saying things couldn't change."

As rumors continue to gain momentum, some teammates have playfully teased Lowell, insisting his deep fly outs at Pro Player Stadium would be home runs at Wrigley Field.

Lowell, who was 2 for 4 with two singles in the Sunday's 8-5 loss to the Angels, said the speculation is getting "a little ridiculous," but said he doesn't mind the lingering uncertainty about his future.

"I was a 20th-round pick out of FIU, I have all the stability in the world right now," Lowell said, smiling.

Should a trade involving Lowell happen, pitcher Brad Penny expects backlash. "It happens every year, like Cliff Floyd last year ... our best hitter, they get rid of him," Penny said. "I think a lot of people will be p----- off if that happens."

BECKETT MAKES PROGRESS

Starter Josh Beckett threw 50 pitches off the mound in the bullpen, mixing in curveballs for the first time since he went on the disabled list May 9 with a right elbow sprain.

"It was the first time I've gotten a chance to watch him up close," McKeon said. "He's got pretty good stuff."

Despite his progress, Beckett, who had hoped to be back by mid-June, said he likely won't return until next month.

"I'm just ready to pitch," Beckett said. "I want to get rid of all this other eye-wash. I'll do a rehab start if I have to, whatever I need to do to get back out there. I told them I'm ready to pitch out of the bullpen, but I don't know if that's feasible."

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I thought the Sentinel never had a positive word to say about the Marlins....

Or at least that is what I have been led to believe.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where do you see any positive opinions in this article? They're just reporting the coach & players' reactions to the trade rumors...

I wouldn't say the Sun-Sentinel is anywhere near as negative as the Herald actually.

Plus I don't recognize this writer....maybe he's new.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think McKeon is right...

He's a smart, frank man, and he says exactly what he knows.

The only queston is: What have they told him?

Top Bottom