Mets waiting to hear from Vaughn

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
ESPN.com news services.

Wednesday, May 14
Mets waiting to hear from Vaughn
ESPN.com news services

The Mets are unsure when -- or if -- Mo Vaughn will return to the field. Right now, though, the Mets would like to know exactly where Vaughn is.

The team and members of Vaughn's family expressed concern for the first baseman on Tuesday when he did not contact them.

"He was supposed to call," Mo's father, Leroy Vaughn, told The New York Post Tuesday night. "I'm in the dark like you are. We're waiting patiently."

When reached by ESPN on Wednesday, a Mets official said that Vaughn was not missing, even though the team is still waiting to hear from him.

The New York Times reported over the weekend that Vaughn was scheduled to get extra medical opinions on his ailing knee, and then rejoin the Mets in Colorado on Tuesday.

The 35-year-old first baseman has not played since May 2. Vaughn has no cartilage in part of his left knee, causing bone to rub against bone and pain that is too intense for him to play through. He said he would consider an operation to shave "10 or 12 bone spurs" in the knee and inject a substance into the knee to provide a cushion.

Mets general manager Steve Phillips said recently that that particular procedure is "experimental" and wasn't sure if it would work for Vaughn.

"I'm not sure it's reversible," Phillips told The Associated Press last week. "I don't know what surgery resolves either. He has bone on bone. There's no cartilage on one side of the knee."

Several members of the Mets' brass, including manager Art Howe, have been unable to contact Vaughn, according to the Post. The Mets weren't even sure what state he was in, according to the newspaper. Vaughn has seen doctors in Georgia, Texas, California, and possibly Massachusetts.

Asked by the Post when he would hear from Vaughn, Howe put a hand up to shrug and said, "Your guess is as good as mine."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
put word out to the all you can eat buffets also.

Joe Mac

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just to tell you guys, he called the Mets and got in touch with them.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards Joe Mac.. nice to see people from The Mofo.net :mischief2

MasterChief

Muckdog
Reaction score
looks like mo's baseball days may be over

credit ESPN.com

Mo Vaughn reportedly is in "rough shape" and likely would risk permanent disability if he played baseball again. In fact, several sources told Gannett News Service on Wednesday that Vaughn has given up on the idea of resuming his baseball career.

"It's hard to talk to him because of what he's going through these days," Tony Clark, a long-time friend of Vaughn and a teammate with the Mets, told Gannett. "It's a bitter pill for him to swallow."

Vaughn, 35, has an arthritic left knee. He has no cartilage in part of the knee, causing bone to rub against bone and pain that is too intense to play through. He was put on the disabled list on May 2, and has not played since. In 79 at-bats this season, Vaughn is hitting just .190 with three homers.

After getting numerous medical opinions, Vaughn was essentially given two options: retire, or have major surgery followed by a long rehabilitation.

Vaughn and agent Jeff Moorad met with the Mets on Wednesday.

"My understanding is that he will need surgery just to walk normally, never mind play baseball," a Mets official told Gannett. "He's in rough shape."

The Mets released this statement after the meeting: "We had a very productive meeting with Mo and his representatives. We discussed all of the information that has been gathered and now Mo will take it into consideration and make a decision in the near future on how to proceed."

Vaughn is owed approximately $28 million on his contract. An insurance policy would pay 75 percent of Vaughn's contract once he spends 90 days on the disabled list, and that deadline would pass on July 31, according to Gannett.

Vaughn will earn $15 million next season and has a $2 million buyout for 2005.

Over the last four seasons, Vaughn has missed more than 200 games with injuries to his left ankle, left arm, right hand and now the left knee. In parts of two seasons with the Mets, Vaughn has hit only .249 with 29 homers in 166 games. He also has committed 19 errors at first base.

While with the Red Sox, Vaughn, the 1995 American League MVP, was selected to three All-Star teams.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mo vaghn fears his career must be over....

C/o Espn.com

Vaughn could risk permanent injury if he returned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Mo Vaughn's career could be over -- especially if he undergoes major knee surgery.

Vaughn, 35, has an arthritic left knee. He has no cartilage in part of the knee, causing bone to rub against bone and pain that is too intense to play through. He was put on the disabled list on May 2, and has not played since. In 79 at-bats this season, Vaughn is hitting just .190 with three homers.

All six of the doctors Vaughn consulted recently recommend knee replacement surgery, which would certainly end Vaughn's career, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports. Vaughn is waiting for another month and will attempt to get his knee flushed (arthroscopic surgery) in the hopes that knee replacement surgery could be avoided.

"I'm 35, not 40, and if I have the knee replacement surgery, it's going to be practically impossible to come back," Vaughn told Gammons on Thursday. "I still want to play, so I'm going to wait a few weeks, see if I can have it flushed out and then determine if there's any chance I can come back. I have played through pain before, so pain isn't the issue. Of course, playing through pain is one of the reasons I'm in his predicament."

Vaughn and agent Jeff Moorad met with the Mets on Wednesday.

"My understanding is that he will need surgery just to walk normally, never mind play baseball," a Mets official told Gannett News Service on Wednesday.

The Mets released this statement after the meeting: "We had a very productive meeting with Mo and his representatives. We discussed all of the information that has been gathered and now Mo will take it into consideration and make a decision in the near future on how to proceed."

Vaughn is owed approximately $28 million on his contract. An insurance policy would pay 75 percent of Vaughn's contract once he spends 90 days on the disabled list, and that deadline would pass on July 31, according to Gannett.

Vaughn will earn $15 million next season and has a $2 million buyout for 2005.

Over the last four seasons, Vaughn has missed more than 200 games with injuries to his left ankle, left arm, right hand and now the left knee. In parts of two seasons with the Mets, Vaughn has hit only .249 with 29 homers in 166 games. He also has committed 19 errors at first base.

While with the Red Sox, Vaughn, the 1995 American League MVP, was selected to three All-Star teams.

Top Bottom