What's new

Meulens accepts role on coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I'm with @el_gmac, I now hate this guy. He strung the Marlins along and would have settled for the job if the Mets didn't give him the bench coach gig, after agreeing initially to the job with the fish. That's rude.
Incidentally, he beat out Fredi for the job. He left the Marlins to pursue a gig in that area apparently.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I'm with @el_gmac, I now hate this guy. He strung the Marlins along and would have settled for the job if the Mets didn't give him the bench coach gig, after agreeing initially to the job with the fish. That's rude.
Incidentally, he beat out Fredi for the job. He left the Marlins to pursue a gig in that area apparently.
I mean, the Marlins apparently offered him the job and gave him the option to find a higher position before accepting. So you can't fault him.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I mean, the Marlins apparently offered him the job and gave him the option to find a higher position before accepting. So you can't fault him.
I still fault him. That's just desperation on their part if so. If he didn't want this job, he shouldn't have accepted it. And if they really did do that, they should not. Makes them look second class, which they are but they shouldn't make it so obvious.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Wait, how are the Marlins the second class ones here? I think allowing him to pursue a better position is admirable from the Marlins perspective. I think that's better than forcing the guy to stay here if he would rather be elsewhere because you also don't want him to stay with the Marlins and be grumpy about not being allowed to go for the Mets job. If he wants to leave, you give him the chance so that you don't run the risk of having an unhappy coach here. If anything Meulens is the one who looks bad here but with that said, he never signed any agreement with the Marlins and he is doing what I assume is best for him and his family so is it really that bad what he did? Maybe we're all over reacting here?

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
I'm a little more frustrated that he beat Fredi for this spot because, while it wasn't intentional, it comes off like the Marlins let Fredi pursue this opportunity and then took it away from him by letting Meulens go after it too.

That has to suck for Fredi.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Wait, how are the Marlins the second class ones here?
Because he would have settled for the job with them if the Mets passed on him. They waited around and kept the position open for him if he needed it. Stinks of desperation on their part. Makes them like a lesser team that has to be settled for if other options are exhausted. Once he asked to check on the Mets gig after accepting the job with Miami, fish should've said ok good luck then and withdrew their offer to him.

That's how I see it anyway. You and others may see it differently which is fine.

Last edited:

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Because he would have settled for the job with them if the Mets passed on him. They waited around and kept the position open for him if he needed it. Stinks of desperation on their part. Makes them like a lesser team that has to be settled for if other options are exhausted. Once he asked to check on the Mets gig after accepting the job with Miami, fish should've said ok good luck then and withdrew their offer to him.

That's how I see it anyway. You and others may see it differently which is fine.
I don't want a guy who "settled" on my coaching staff though. I think it's more second class to force him to stay if this isn't his most desired position.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Once he asked to check on the Mets gig after accepting the job with Miami, fish should've said ok good luck then and withdrew their offer to him.
Oh wait, this I agree with... I think you're saying your point wrong.

It's classy for the Marlins to allow him to leave... but it's second class for them to allow him to return had he not gotten the Mets job.

Better?

I like that they let him go... you don't like that they would have let him back after going.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Wait, how are the Marlins the second class ones here? I think allowing him to pursue a better position is admirable from the Marlins perspective. I think that's better than forcing the guy to stay here if he would rather be elsewhere because you also don't want him to stay with the Marlins and be grumpy about not being allowed to go for the Mets job. If he wants to leave, you give him the chance so that you don't run the risk of having an unhappy coach here. If anything Meulens is the one who looks bad here but with that said, he never signed any agreement with the Marlins and he is doing what I assume is best for him and his family so is it really that bad what he did? Maybe we're all over reacting here?
He signed a letter of intent.

I'm a little more frustrated that he beat Fredi for this spot because, while it wasn't intentional, it comes off like the Marlins let Fredi pursue this opportunity and then took it away from him by letting Meulens go after it too.

That has to suck for Fredi.
I'd laugh if Fredi ends up being our bench coach after all this.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Clearly we didn't have one this past season :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom