What's new

Miami Herald: Marlins Free Agency Notes

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score

According to the Miami Herald, the Marlins...

-Intend to sign at least one veteran bat but are disinclined to give him a longterm deal because they don’t want to block any of their top position prospects

-Are not aggressively pursuing Castellanos but like the player and could enter the bidding if he’s still available in a few weeks and willing to accept a shorter deal

-Aren’t pursuing free agents that would require draft pick compensation

-Are leaning toward tendering Urena

-Want to sign at least two relievers

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
Probably the search will keep going on until Feb. 2020.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
They said they're open to anything before, but now it seems they're would only to pay the minimal money to the rookie players and not want to spend really money on the veterans.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I'm disagree with the "block the prospects" thing, if you want to improve the team with the top FAs then just do your best to acquire the players and don't need to worry about the prospects that coming up, top FAs got their value and you need to give them the fair contracts to acquire them, if you're reluctantly in giving the fair contracts due to the "block the prospects" reason then you just need to stop the plan to improve the team with top FAs and continue to go with the prospects you have.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Are not aggressively pursuing Castellanos but like the player and could enter the bidding if he’s still available in a few weeks and willing to accept a shorter deal
I don't understand the point of this. So they'd like to sign him to a 2 year deal for instance? And let him become a FA just as they possibly start contending?

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I don't understand the point of this. So they'd like to sign him to a 2 year deal for instance? And let him become a FA just as they possibly start contending?
It's just the question I have, how could a young and in his prime top FA like Castellanos would accept a short term deal from a rebuilding team ? if you really want to acquire a really good player to help the team then you just need to do your best to outbid the other suitors, how could you ask a player like Castellanos to accept a one or two year deal just because you don't want your prospects been blocked !?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
It's just the question I have, how could a young and in his prime top FA like Castellanos would accept a short term deal from a rebuilding team ? if you really want to acquire a really good player to help the team then you just need to do your best to outbid the other suitors, how could you ask a player like Castellanos to accept a one or two year deal just because you don't want your prospects been blocked !?
They are hoping he becomes desperate, which is unlikely. And even if he did, I don't understand the point of doing it from Miami's perspective. Sign him to a deal that keeps him on the team after they start to contend or don't bother trying to sign him at all.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
They are hoping he becomes desperate, which is unlikely. And even if he did, I don't understand the point of doing it from Miami's perspective. Sign him to a deal that keeps him on the team after they start to contend or don't bother trying to sign him at all.
I agree, it doesn't make sense. I guess they feel that strongly that the prospects are that good that they won't need him by then.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
I guess they feel that strongly that the prospects are that good that they won't need him by then.
While that's silly, if true then they don't bother with Castellanos at all.

marlins_09

Muckdog
Reaction score
Makes it sound like they think Castellanos is a stop gap signing which is preposterous.
Unless he’s told them he’s only willing to sign a 3 year deal in Miami. Then, he essentially would be a stop gap given our timeline

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Unless he’s told them he’s only willing to sign a 3 year deal in Miami. Then, he essentially would be a stop gap given our timeline
Why would he do that? If any "good" free agent is gonna come here might as well make it a long term deal to be here to help when they contend. If he wants just a 3 year deal might as well look someone already contending.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I don't consider this a real attempt by them to sign him. There is no reason to think he's going to have such a bad market that he has to settle for a short deal with the Marlins. This is the Marlins acting like they are going after one of the better free agents out there.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I fully expect to be completely underwhelmed by our "big" signings - aka there won't be any, it'll be like last year. When they should push to sign a guy or two on a longer term deal.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I agree, it doesn't make sense. I guess they feel that strongly that the prospects are that good that they won't need him by then.
You would never know how a prospect would perform in the majors, and it would never hurt to have too many good players because you always could trade some of them when needed.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I fully expect to be completely underwhelmed by our "big" signings - aka there won't be any, it'll be like last year. When they should push to sign a guy or two on a longer term deal.
I think we would have a much more clear view of their approach to the spending on the FAs after this off- season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom