What's new

Miguel Cabrera and other notes....

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
c/o flamarlins.com
MIAMI -- The gaudy numbers were just too impressive to ignore any further.

And with the Marlins lacking production from left field, general manager Admin Beinfest decided it was time to give prize prospect Miguel Cabrera a taste of the Major Leagues.

After Thursday night's 5-1 win over the Mets, the Marlins announced Cabrera will be their new left fielder for the foreseeable future, beginning Friday night against Tampa Bay.

Cabrera, who turned 20 on April 18, makes the leap from the Carolina Mudcats to the Major Leagues after just 68 games in Double-A. To make room, outfielder Chad Allen is being optioned to Triple-A Albuquerque.

Cabrera, who opened the season at third base, is batting .365 with 10 home runs and 59 RBIs, which leads the Southern League.

At Carolina, he was a teammate of left-handed pitcher Dontrelle Willis, who is 6-1 with the Marlins since being called up.

"We'd like to go 2-for-2," Beinfest said of hitting big on Double-A prospects. "Miguel Cabrera is going to be a big leaguer. There is no question in our minds. He demonstrated in the minor leagues that he is going to be a very good big league player. He's coming up in a different position than he envisioned and so did we. But so did [St. Louis']Albert Pujols. I don't want to make that comparison, but Miguel at 20 years old has demonstrated what he's needed to show in Double-A. He's just been outstanding offensively."

This week, Cabrera was observed by Hall of Famer Tony Perez, a Marlins special assistant to the president. The past two nights Dan Jennings, the team's vice president/player personnel, watched Cabrera.

For about a month the Marlins have contemplated what to do with Cabrera, who was playing third, first and most recently left field.

He doesn't have much experience in the outfield, but his offensive potential and athleticism has the team confident he will blossom.

Cabrera, who bats right-handed, replaces left-handed-hitting Todd Hollandsworth, who is mired in a 2-for-36 slump and is batting .251.

Hollandsworth has two home runs and 14 RBIs with a team-high 22 doubles. But he is batting .170 (8-for-47) with 10 RBIs with runners in scoring position.

For now, the veteran will be a backup.

By adding Cabrera to the 40-man roster, the Marlins will have to remove a player off their roster Friday.

Making the leap from Double-A to the Major Leagues may be challenging, but it isn't unprecedented.

Marlins right-hander Josh Beckett did it in 2002 and Willis had just six Double-A starts before making the leap to the big leagues.

Willis and Cabrera were teammates for a while at Carolina.

"He's an asset," Willis said. "I wish him the best in the big leagues. When I got the call, he was more happy for me than I was. He gave me a big hug."

Originally a shortstop, Cabrera moved to third base. But the past few games, he started in left field for the Mudcats.

How fast to promote is too fast?

Marlins manager Jack McKeon says it depends on the individual.

McKeon, who formerly managed the Reds, notes that Cincinnati outfielder Austin Kearns made the jump from Double-A last year.

"Kearns is up from Double-A, no big deal," McKeon said. "Look what he's done. If he doesn't get hurt at the end of [last] year, he's probably Rookie of the Year."

The fact that Cabrera is getting work in left field is interesting since there is so much speculation that third baseman Mike Lowell may be traded.

The Marlins clearly want to be .500 or better before the All-Star break to have a shot at Wild Card contention. If they aren't, player moves are likely.

"He deserves it," Lowell said of Cabrera's promotion. "It's worked well with one young guy, Dontrelle. I hope it works for two."

Lowell had a chance to work beside Cabrera in Spring Training, and is impressed by the Venezuelan native.

"I think he's going to have a long big-league career," Lowell said. "Being as young as he is, he doesn't seem fazed by big-league pitching. He makes adjustments. He has 10 times the mental approach and awareness of the games as most 20-year-olds. Not only does he have the tools physically, he has a good makeup.

"He's quiet. He kind of knows his role, but he's not scared. I relate that to Dontrelle a lot. Dontrelle is still in awe being in the big leagues, but he's not scared to compete. I think there is a big difference between respecting where you are and competing at the highest level that you can."

Washed out again: For the second straight day, rain washed out Beckett's scheduled rehab start.

Beckett was expected to throw the first game of a doubleheader for Class A Jupiter at Viera. But rain cancelled both games. Beckett initially was slated to throw for Jupiter on Wednesday before rains cancelled those plans.

On the disabled list with a sprained right elbow, Beckett hopes the third scheduled start is a charm. The 23-year-old right-hander, who has been on the DL since May 9, now is scheduled to throw on Saturday for the Hammerheads at Jupiter. The game starts at 7:05 p.m. Beckett should throw 50-55 pitches.

While he didn't pitch in a game on Thursday, Beckett did throw a bullpen session.

McKeon said Beckett remains on pace to return to the rotation on June 28 at Boston. Once Beckett returns, Tommy Phelps will go back to the bullpen.

Remembering Admin Doby: Hall of Famer Admin Doby is being remembered as a pioneer, gentleman and underrated player by members of the Marlins organization.

"I had seen him play as a kid," McKeon said. "He was a good player. Probably underrated. He didn't get the recognition that Jackie Robinson got. But he was a good player, and a good power hitter."

Doby broke the color barrier in the American League when he joined the Indians in 1947, months after Jackie Robinson appeared for the Dodgers. The Hall of Famer died Wednesday night at age 79.

"I think he probably wasn't as extroverted as some of the other guys," McKeon said. "He was just a quiet, nice guy, who didn't seek the publicity or was afforded the publicity of say Jackie Robinson or Monte Irvin, guys who were up in New York, the big city."

Marlins hitting coach Bill Robinson called Doby a "quiet idol."

"He's always been just a very nice man," Robinson said. "He is just an asset to our race, and the thing he did to lay the ground work for me, and guys who have followed."

Hall of Famer Tony Perez, Cuban born and a special assistant to the president for the Marlins, said Doby was in declining health for a while.

"I saw him at the Hall of Fame last year, Perez said. "He wasn't feeling too good. He was a great man. He was one of the guys who opened things up for us. I've known him for years. He opened doors for a lot of people, Latins, blacks and a lot of people."

Down on the farm: Triple-A Albuquerque scored 11 runs in the sixth inning and overcame a seven-run deficit to beat Colorado Springs 11-8. The Isotopes sent 15 batters to the plate in the sixth and had 11 hits in the inning. Rob Stratton belted his 24th home run and he had two RBIs. Kevin Hooper went 2-for-6.

Double-A Carolina blanked West Tennessee, 2-0. Four Mudcats pitchers combined on the seven-hitter. Aaron Small (3-4) threw five scoreless innings. Jose Cueto, Sean Fesh and Mike Flannery closed out the game. Flannery collected his 10th save.

The skipper says: "He reminds me of Vida Blue with his high leg kick." -- McKeon on Willis and his high-kick delivery

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
One thing I havent heard mentioned and actually didnt know until I looked it up, but Cabrera is listed in the Marlins media guide as a switch-hitter.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't know that!

A . 365 switch hitter? DAMN!

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
hes not a switch hitter
i think he is just righty

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I guess it was a mistake in the media guide. I was surprised when I saw it, too, didnt think he was a switch-hitter.

odom006

Muckdog
Reaction score
who cares what he is..... just be gald he is on our team... he is our SAVIOR!!!!!!

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
who cares what he is..... just be gald he is on our team... he is our SAVIOR!!!!!!
i wouldnt go that far...... yet

let him get his first ab atleast

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
LoL...

If he works out like our last two AA to ML jumps have have been, he will do just fine...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
let him get his first ab atleast
And that will come Today!

Battle of Florida gets youthful feel
Devil Rays (24-46) at Marlins (35-39), 7:35 p.m. ET
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

Devil Rays preview
MIAMI -- The future is now for the newest Marlin, Miguel Cabrera.

After going 1-for-3 for the Carolina Mudcats on Thursday night, Cabrera got the call that he was headed for the Marlins.

The Marlins announced Cabrera was being brought up from Double-A and will become the left fielder for the foreseeable future.

Cabrera, a 20-year-old from Venezuela, will make his Major League debut Friday against Tampa Bay.

After splitting a four-game series with the Mets, the Marlins take on Tampa Bay in Interleague play.

The Marlins hold a 17-11 advantage over their state rivals, but were 2-4 against them last year.

Left-hander Mark Redman, who faced Tampa Bay when he was with the Tigers, looks to join Dontrelle Willis as a six-game winner on the staff.

Pitching matchup

TB: RHP Rob Bell
2003 record: 0-1, 16.20 ERA
2003 vs. FLA: first appearance
Lifetime vs. FLA: 0-0, 5.63 ERA

FLA: LHP Mark Redman
2003 record: 5-2, 2.80 ERA
2003 vs TB: first appearance
Lifetime vs. TB: 2-0, 3.04 ERA

Player to watch:
Mike Lowell snapped an 0-for-11 skid with a three-run homer Thursday. With 22 home runs, Lowell is tied for the Major League lead. He also has 60 RBIs, which ranks among the league leaders. The most RBIs a Marlin has ever had at the All-Star break is 70, by Cliff Floyd in 2001.

Quotable:
"Miguel at 20 years old has demonstrated what he's needed to show in Double-A. He's just been outstanding offensively." -- Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest on promoting Cabrera

c/o:Mlb.com

odom006

Muckdog
Reaction score
YAAAAAAAAAAAAA MIGGY in the game BABY!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Top Bottom