What's new

Mitre pitching tonight

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is anyone else super amped to see Mitre throwing against El Duque tonight?

Between Dontrelle, Scotty, and Mitre, our rotation went effing nuts last night. I'm so excited.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
*still pumped from last night*

Orlando is just coming off the DL so hopefully he wont be on his game. GO MEAT-TRAY!

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
he has never pitched against the mets

which could be a good thing if his sinker is on or a horrible thing

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope Mitre pitches well his entire career, and he's looked good in the last few games, but he's as much our ace as Vargas was our ace for awhile last year. Dontrelle is our ace.

marlin2266

Muckdog
Reaction score
Vargas was horrible all last year -

He was good in '05 (and as a bonus could rake).

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gosh, I hope this thread does a good job of jinxing him tonight!!1

Beastie

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope Mitre pitches well his entire career, and he's looked good in the last few games, but he's as much our ace as Vargas was our ace for awhile last year. Dontrelle is our ace.

I dont have any idea how you can compare Mitre to Vargas.

Vargas pitched well his first season with a flat fastball and a good changeup...once the report came out he got ripped.

Mitre has been in the league for a long time and everyone knows that he is going to pump you with that sinker. That is the one pitch that you can't really prepare for because its not liek everyone could throw it. Now add that with the slider that he's developing and I think we just may have ourselves a top notch pitcher.

fishfan25

Muckdog
Reaction score
:knock on wood: ever since i started looking like sergio, hes pitched well...

and hell even if he starts pitching bad, im gonna keep this look...i look bad ass.

go Mitre!

and the marlins!

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score

Vargas pitched well his first season with a flat fastball and a good changeup...once the report came out he got ripped.

Mitre has been in the league for a long time and everyone knows that he is going to pump you with that sinker. That is the one pitch that you can't really prepare for because its not liek everyone could throw it. Now add that with the slider that he's developing and I think we just may have ourselves a top notch pitcher.
I absolutely agree that Mitre looks much beter than Vargas did. I was more reminding all that for awhile in 2005 he was considered by many here our best pitcher. And I was using the experience learned from this to point out how ludicrous it is to say that Mitre's the team's ace. He's not. Dontrelle is. I hope Mitre's success continues and maybe one day he will be the ace.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

I'd hardly say Mitre's been around a "long time."

And, just to throw rain on the parade, Mitre still allows a ton of runs, they just happened to be unearned...so don't let that ERA fool you.

Is he an effective pitcher right now? Sure, but he's the farthest thing in the world, at least in his current form, from being a top notch pitcher.

Beastie

Muckdog
Reaction score

I absolutely agree that Mitre looks much beter than Vargas did. I was more reminding all that for awhile in 2005 he was considered by many here our best pitcher. And I was using the experience learned from this to point out how ludicrous it is to say that Mitre's the team's ace. He's not. Dontrelle is. I hope Mitre's success continues and maybe one day he will be the ace.

O ok

But at this moment Mitre has been by far our best pitcher...I'm not saying that he's our ACE because Willis is the face of the franchise but right now but Mitre has outshined him.

Alex22

Muckdog
Reaction score

And, just to throw rain on the parade, Mitre still allows a ton of runs, they just happened to be unearned...so don't let that ERA fool you.

Is he an effective pitcher right now? Sure, but he's the farthest thing in the world, at least in his current form, from being a top notch pitcher.

There is a reason that the runs are classified as unearned. Tell Cabrera/Ramirez not to have mental lapses and we won't have any problems with that. I also don't recall him giving up a 'ton' of runs in any of his recent starts

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score

haha, yeah. i think every batter Vargas retired in 05 was with a high changeup.

Beastie

Muckdog
Reaction score

What I was referring to in terms of pitching a long time was just comparing him to Vargas. Just saying that you cant compare the 2.

Yea they happen to be unearned because we have the worst defense in the league...the pitcher can't do anything about that.

And why do you say he is so far away from a top notch pitcher? His fastball is comparable to Lowe and Webb and the slider and changeup have been good pitches.

Oh and if you want to use your other criteria...He has a 1.10 whip with a .235 BAA.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Since I guess it's no longer en vogue to trash Mitre around here, I'll leave you with one thought.

Mitre's not a work-horse. He doesn't have a complete game this season, has gone past 7 innings only twice.

In one more star than Anibal Sanchez, Mitre has allowed one more run, yet his ERA is half of Sanchez. There are plenty of runs being scored off him.

Alex22

Muckdog
Reaction score
Since I guess it's no longer en vogue to trash Mitre around here, I'll leave you with one thought.

Mitre's not a work-horse. He doesn't have a complete game this season, has gone past 7 innings only twice.

In one more star than Anibal Sanchez, Mitre has allowed one more run, yet his ERA is half of Sanchez. There are plenty of runs being scored off him.

Maybe that is because he is a groundball pitcher and we have a third baseman and shortstop who make a lot of mental errors during games on defense.

Anibal is a flyball pitcher, he is going to give up more earned runs because of that. They are called unearned runs because the other team does not earn them off of the pitcher.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Serg has pretty solid peripherals, and I'm suprised at his fairly low BABIP (.270) considering his awful defense. That is probably going to rise unless the defense can step it up, which I think they can.

Gotta love less than 2 BB/9.

Top Bottom