What's new

MLB to televise draft

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Coming this June: The MLB draft on TV
ESPN.com news services

The NFL and NBA drafts have been televised for years. Now, Major League Baseball is joining the trend.

For the first time in its history, the baseball entry draft will be aired live on ESPN2. Coverage will begin on Thursday, June 7th at 2 p.m. ET from Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida. The broadcast will end at 6 p.m. ET.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the telecast, "will give fans access to see this critical function of an organization's development. This is an idea whose time has come."

Each team's first round pick will be televised and all clubs will have a maximum of five minutes to make their selections.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays will have the first selection. The San Francisco Giants will have three picks in the first round, while the Toronto Blue Jays and the Texas Rangers will each have two first round choices.

The draft will have 50 rounds and will conclude after all 30 teams have passed on a selection or after the final selection of the 50th round, whichever comes first.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2862901

I personally love it. I watch the draft unfold on my computer screen, so stick it on TV!!!

Plus, the 5 minute pick frame makes it a whole lot more "watchable."

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is great.

The less Mlb.tv type broadcasts I have to watch, the better.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
"with the first pick, the florida marlins select....Ted Ginn!" Boooooooo!

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
"with the first pick, the florida marlins select....Ted Ginn!" Boooooooo!

brady brady brady

Night Phantom

It's about damn time!

Hopefully this brings a renewed interest in the minor leagues.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
The NBA and NFL draftees make immediate impact on their team or at least their short term plans. You won't see 3/4ths of these names again ... ever, and the other 1/4th you won't hear about again for 3 years.

That, and isn't this conducted over the phone? Won't that make for some entertainment.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll watch it. I also might be tempted to watch it in person, if they would allow that.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
I LOVE this. Finally they have the draft on t.v. I know where I will be on that day - in front of my t.v.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The NBA and NFL draftees make immediate impact on their team or at least their short term plans. You won't see 3/4ths of these names again ... ever, and the other 1/4th you won't hear about again for 3 years.

That, and isn't this conducted over the phone? Won't that make for some entertainment.

I was thinking about the same. For the hard core, sure more baseball talk is good. But I'm in the same line of thinking

costabear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll definitely be interested in watching this. It'd be cool to see video of all the prospects when they are drafted, GM interviews, etc.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
You might see these guys sooner than you think. It took less than a year for 2006 Draft Picks Joe Smith (Mets) and Tim Lincecum (Giants) to make their MLB debuts. Other players like Bill Bray, Ryan Wagner, and Ryan Zimmerman were also in the majors less than a year after being drafted.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

I mean, ignoring that a lot of college pitchers generally spend a year to a year and a half in the minors before going pro, not unlike most QB's riding the pine for most of their 1st season, you still have plenty to do with this.

It's not like all players appear in person at the draft, and it's not like most fans care about that anyway.

This is obviously targeted to a niche market who would like to tune in, see who goes where and hear interviews from GM's and maybe the top players after and during the draft.

If you're going to tell me that people watch the NFL or NBA draft to see Brady Quinn pose with the Browns' jersey, then I'll tell you you're 100% right that this is a train-wreck, but I think you misinterpret the viewers' desires.

Ill watch it. But I did like the fact that in the days of the conference call it went by quick and you knew who your team had lickity split.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good God No.
I will definitely not waste any of my time watching this.
To each his own.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think I'll pass. Most of these players spend years in the minors before you ever hear from them. I could think of 1 million things better than watching the mlb draft. IMO

Night Phantom

Firstly, I sincerely doubt that they're going to air a conference call. Normally during the call teams don't have five minutes to pick, so that right there tells you a change is coming.

Secondly, thanks to the recent movement in the draft, it's not unreasonable to say that some of the players chosen will be in the majors within two years of their selection. As Swifty already pointed out, many players in the NFL and NBA take years to make a difference. Heat fans can look at Dorrell Wright, who still even now hasn't been given a shot to start regularly.

Finally, I think the draft will succeed for one big reason and the airing on TV will have a couple of positive results. First, the MLB draft will have a niche viewership to start. Um, who watches the draft for the NFL and NBA? No casual fans, I'll tell you that. The people watching the drafts of the three sports are the ones who follow the yungins in the first place, and that won't change with baseball. Furthermore, the draft on TV can have two effects. First off, the one I already mentioned, the minors can become more popular. That's good for the cities that don't have big clubs but have popular minor league teams with rich histories. Also, the draft being on TV could be what puts an end (over time) to Boras and co. dominating the process and preventing players from being drafted where they should be.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score

Firstly, I sincerely doubt that they're going to air a conference call. Normally during the call teams don't have five minutes to pick, so that right there tells you a change is coming.

Secondly, thanks to the recent movement in the draft, it's not unreasonable to say that some of the players chosen will be in the majors within two years of their selection. As Swifty already pointed out, many players in the NFL and NBA take years to make a difference. Heat fans can look at Dorrell Wright, who still even now hasn't been given a shot to start regularly.

Finally, I think the draft will succeed for one big reason and the airing on TV will have a couple of positive results. First, the MLB draft will have a niche viewership to start. Um, who watches the draft for the NFL and NBA? No casual fans, I'll tell you that. The people watching the drafts of the three sports are the ones who follow the yungins in the first place, and that won't change with baseball. Furthermore, the draft on TV can have two effects. First off, the one I already mentioned, the minors can become more popular. That's good for the cities that don't have big clubs but have popular minor league teams with rich histories. Also, the draft being on TV could be what puts an end (over time) to Boras and co. dominating the process and preventing players from being drafted where they should be.

Well the nfl draft gets great ratings for the first round. The reason is that most of the first round picks/first day picks will be starting on teams the following season. You also have two of the the biggest rating getters in the NFL and NCAA Football involved in the same event.

NBA doesnt get as good ratings as the NFL draft, but the one good thing it has going for it is that its only 2 rounds. The top draft picks usually start on teams and are well known going into the draft. I dont watch college basketball but I have heard of the big names in college basketball. I couldnt even name one player in ncaa baseball.

Most importantly, NCAA Football and NCAA Basketball are A LOT bigger than NCAA baseball. I dont know one person that watches college baseball. On the flip side all of my friends watch either college football, college basketball or both.

Night Phantom

Granted, NCAA football is a lot more popular than NCAA baseball. Not even going to try and argue that.

However, how can you argue with a first round that's shorter than the NFL's? Plus, most teams won't take all five minutes since they aren't allowed to trade draft picks and players picked can't be moved for another year. These players WILL be playing for the team that selected (at least in the minors) and people watching can hang their hat on that. Then again, I've always thought teams should be allowed to deal their picks and I hope this leads to that as well.

Why do you think the NBA draft gets ratings that aren't as good as the NFL's? Could it be because the NBA is no where near as popular? The only sport that can even remotely challenge the leviathan that is pro football is Major League Baseball. The MLB draft, if it continues to be televised, will easily be drawing more viewers in 2009 than the NBA will and it won't be close. Furthermore, baseball has the advantage that its draft is in season when interest is high. You think people won't flip on the deuce to catch their team drafting a couple of hours before they get to watch them play a game? Are you serious?

Finally on your points, when is NCAA basketball most popular? The conference and overall tournaments. Regular season is alright unless you're a diehard. When does NCAA baseball come to the forefront? College World Series. Give a little bit more airtime to the Super Regionals, and the problem of the college talents being unknown is gone.

I don't think the draft will be in its final state. In the future, I'd like to see tradeable draft picks, the first three rounds televised (with the time between picks in the second and third rounds being 2-3 minutes), and the draft permanently stationed on the third weekend of June rather than always on June 15th.

Don't kid yourself, this has a lot of potential.

Top Bottom