What's new

More Willits speculation

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Q: Reggie Willits is never going to start in an Angels uniform, and he's a player whom I suspect might be better off in the National League with his skill set. In your estimation, is he good enough to be an everyday major league center fielder, and if the Angels farm system is short on pitching prospects, would they match up well in a trade with Florida, since 30 of the Marlins' top 50 prospects are pitchers?

Rick, Miami Shores, Fla.

A: I haven't seen enough of Willits to determine whether he can be an everyday player, because he only has 45 big-league at-bats, and he hasn't started more than two games in a row for the Angels. You have to see a guy play on a regular basis for at least a few weeks to get a good feel for his ability and potential.

But what little I've seen of Willits, I like. He has excellent speed, a good arm, gets good jumps on fly balls and glides well into the gaps. Offensively, he doesn't have much power, but he's a gritty player who seems to make consistent contact and is an excellent bunter. He kind of reminds me of a young Len Dykstra.

I don't know the Marlins' farm system, but knowing how much General Manager Bill Stoneman covets young power arms, I would think the Angels would be a good trading partner for Florida on a minor deal. Plus, outfielder Tommy Murphy has a similar skill set as Willits, so either player could be expendable.

Here's the link: http://www.latimes.com/services/site/premi...tered.intercept

Reaction score
If Willits is as nice as fit as he has been made to sound around here, he would be a nice addition. But even at worst, it wouldn't hurt to throw another minor leaguer into the CF sweepstakes. Worst thing that can happen is he doesn't make the team. And how much of a problem that is only depends on what he would cost us.

All said though, this is conjecture that is coming from a reader's question. Not a rumor coming from either club.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Willits is as nice as fit as he has been made to sound around here, he would be a nice addition. But even at worst, it wouldn't hurt to throw another minor leaguer into the CF sweepstakes. Worst thing that can happen is he doesn't make the team. And how much of a problem that is only depends on what he would cost us.

All said though, this is conjecture that is coming from a reader's question. Not a rumor coming from either club.
Willits is certainly expendable and would cost us very little (Mitre or Mildren). This all depends on Reed and what he shows in ST

Top Bottom