What's new

Most key members of front office extended through 2021

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
Biggest question, does this include the esteemed Michael Hill?

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
Update: Mike Hill was not one of the ones extended and 2020 is his final contract year though it's expected he will be retained.

"However, Mish says Hill is still entering 2020 on an expiring deal—“at the end of the year or maybe even sooner,” he is expected to officially sign up to stick around, but his status will be partially subject to the team’s performance on the field. The Marlins cannot have a repeat of last season’s 57-105 record and minus-193 run differential. Mish also wonders aloud whether Hill was paid above market rate by Jeffrey Loria and if new ownership will attempt to reduce his salary in exchange for job security (as they did when extending manager Don Mattingly)."

Kinda weird to judge Hill's future on the 2020 team record when he's done so much right beyond that. The record might not improve enough to justify keeping him but that probably wouldn't be fair to be honest.

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
I do not like having a lameduck GM. Should have extended him or fired him.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
I do not like having a lameduck GM. Should have extended him or fired him.
True but I've always thought the lame duck idea is overblown. It's not like it's the end of the season. They still have time to extend him if they are going to do it. If they're gonna fire him though, then it almost doesn't matter when it gets done.

SonOfJack

Writer
Reaction score
True but I've always thought the lame duck idea is overblown. It's not like it's the end of the season. They still have time to extend him if they are going to do it. If they're gonna fire him though, then it almost doesn't matter when it gets done.
A GM is especially bad to have in a short term role since they are in charge of the direction of the current and future for the franchise. You want someone who thinks they'll be there in charge of the future.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Kinda weird to judge Hill's future on the 2020 team record when he's done so much right beyond that. The record might not improve enough to justify keeping him but that probably wouldn't be fair to be honest.
Should the fans just signed to the team to extend him ?

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
A GM is especially bad to have in a short term role since they are in charge of the direction of the current and future for the franchise. You want someone who thinks they'll be there in charge of the future.
Which is also why I don't think it would be wise to fire him at this point even if the 2020 team isn't good. The organization has been applauded for it's improvements over the last two years and Hill has been a big part of that so he might as well see it through. There would be no point in starting with a new GM and there's a big chance that a new guy could totally mess up everything that has been achieved to this point because he'd be picking up the project too far into it.

SonOfJack

Writer
Reaction score
Which is also why I don't think it would be wise to fire him at this point even if the 2020 team isn't good.
Shouldn't fire him now since the season is close, should've fired him after the 2019 season ended or extended him at that time. Now they have no choice but to go with him in 2020. For what it is worth, I think he should have been extended. They could still extend him, but seems like they don't want to at this time.

Last edited:

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
If he's expected to retain after the 2020 then why not just extend him now !?

Michael

Wind Surge
VIP
Writer
Reaction score
"Mike Hill signs record setting 13 year $325M contract to stay as Marlins GM."

Top Bottom