What's new

Most key members of front office extended through 2021

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
How to ruin the improving image of the franchise in three words.

I also have no interest having a Jeff L running the team again.
what about if he changes his to name to Michael ?

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I think it just makes no sense to decide Hill's future with this team by the win-lose record of 2020 season. If you're Hill, what would you do to secure your job with this team if you really want that ? I would play hard to win as many games as possible and would that conflict to the direction the team wants to go ? I know there is a grey area in the third year of a rebuilding between developing the prospects and signing the FAs, so maybe this team just wants Hill to do his best to win as many games as possible in the third year of this rebuilding by not extending him now, but I highly doubt it.

Michael

Wind Surge
VIP
Writer
Reaction score
I think it just makes no sense to decide Hill's future with this team by the win-lose record of 2020 season. If you're Hill, what would you do to secure your job with this team if you really want that ? I would play hard to win as many games as possible and would that conflict to the direction the team wants to go ? I know there is a grey area in the third year of a rebuilding between developing the prospects and signing the FAs, so maybe this team just wants Hill to do his best to win as many games as possible in the third year of this rebuilding by not extending him now, but I highly doubt it.
I think if the team ended up with a similar or worse record, then you let him go. However if the team improves by somewhere between 8 and 15 games or so, I say keep him on.

I know it's not him on the field but this is a team he has assembled at this point. Could see an extension midway through the year if things are trending right.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I think if the team ended up with a similar or worse record, then you let him go. However if the team improves by somewhere between 8 and 15 games or so, I say keep him on.

I know it's not him on the field but this is a team he has assembled at this point. Could see an extension midway through the year if things are trending right.
But he purposely was directed to put two bad MLB teams on the field the last two seasons while building up the farm. He built up the farm successfully and only now is the MLB team being focused on. If the 2020 team underperforms for various factors you can't let him go because the process of making it better is just starting now.

He might need more time for the MLB team to improve and you can't say it's taking too long when they were tanking for two years already.

If he was tasked to do A, B, and C in that order and he does A and B well you can't can him if C is taking longer to happen. At least give him the chance to see C through.

Contrary to popular belief the failures of the on field MLB team doesn't always mean the GM is at fault. Even a great GM can have mixed success on the field in any given season.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Let me clarify my point: you told Hill to make a bad team for two years to build up the farm and he did that very well.

Now you're telling Hill to make a good team starting in 2020 and you're gonna fire him if it isn't good immediately?

That doesn't seem right to me. Give him time to actually make the good team now that that is finally the focus because it clearly wasn't before.

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
Let me clarify my point: you told Hill to make a bad team for two years to build up the farm and he did that very well.

Now you're telling Hill to make a good team starting in 2020 and you're gonna fire him if it isn't good immediately?

That doesn't seem right to me. Give him time to actually make the good team now that that is finally the focus because it clearly wasn't before.
Exactly, which is why he should've been extended. Leaving him in limbo for 2020 is stupid.

Michael

Wind Surge
VIP
Writer
Reaction score
Similar or worse record to 105 losses though. This team can add 8 wins. C'mon fam. <3

Top Bottom