What's new

NBA Finals 2003

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
For the first time in NBA history.......

Two ABA teams meet in the NBA Finals. The Spurs are the only ABA team to win the whole enchilada. The Pacers are the only other team to make it to this level.

This is a rematch of 1975. The Spurs will get vindication for that defeat Dr. J gave to the Spurs and the Iceman.

I will analyze this series at some point today. But briefly...

Jason Kidd > Tony Parker

Rest of the Spurs > Rest of the Nets

Next.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
For the first time in NBA history.......

Two ABA teams meet in the NBA Finals.? The Spurs are the only ABA team to win the whole enchilada.? The Pacers are the only other team to make it to this level.

This is a rematch of 1975.? The Spurs will get vindication for that defeat Dr. J gave to the Spurs and the Iceman.

I will analyze this series at some point today.? But briefly...

Jason Kidd > Tony Parker

Rest of the Spurs > Rest of the Nets

Next.
Here it is a non-bias analysis..................
Only edge Spurs really have is at Center and rest goes to the Nets.

Kenyon Martin > Robinson
Jefferson > Jackson
Kittles >Bowens
Kidd > Parker
NJ Bench < SA Bench
Go NETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
Kidd vs. Parker= Kidd

Kittles vs. Bowen= Tie

Duncan vs. Martin= Duncan

Jefferson vs. Jackson= Jefferson

Mutombo vs. Robinson= Tie

Nets Bench vs. Spurs Bench= Tie

My Finals Pick: Spurs in 6

I think the Spurs win in 6, but I'm gonna cheer my a** off for the Nets.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Kidd vs. Parker= Kidd

Kittles vs. Bowen= Tie

Duncan vs. Martin= Duncan

Jefferson vs. Jackson= Jefferson

Mutombo vs. Robinson= Tie

Nets Bench vs. Spurs Bench= Tie

My Finals Pick: Spurs in 6

I think the Spurs win in 6, but I'm gonna cheer my a** off for the Nets.
Williams is the starting center for nets not Mutombo..Yo Das:

Duncan start at center or Robinson?

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Duncans blows the big one against The Nets, 16 ppg I think this season.

Jefferson and Martin are going to be co MVP's as The Nets bring it back to the east and I cook Das a big a** crow.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
David Robinson is the starting center for the San Antonio Spurs. He will guard Collins or whatever stiff the Nets have at center.

Malik Rose will get heavy minutes guarding either Martin or said stiff.

Bruce Bowen is the starting small forward, the best on the ball defender in the game, he will probably guard Richard Jefferson, but dont be surprised to see him switch off onto Jason Kidd at times.

Stephen Jackson is the Spurs' starting off guard and he will go up against Kittles I presume. Don't underestimate Jackson.

Here are their numbers...

Kerry Kittles 10.8 pts, 3.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.2 steals.
Stephen Jackson 13.6 pts, 4.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists, and 1.4 steals.

How is Kerry Kittles better than Stephen Jackson? question

At point guard you have Tony Parker going up against Jason Kidd. We all know who has the advantage, and the advantage at the point is about as big as the advantage Duncan has over Martin. Also someone remind me who Martin has defended in these playoffs before yapping about how good of a defender he has been in these playoffs...last time I checked the Celtics dont know what low post scoring is, and Ben Wallace is not exactly known as a scorer.

The Spurs bench is definitely deeper than the Net bench. You have Lucious Harris and Rodney Rogers as the primary Net subs, where you have Manu Ginobili and Malik Rose as the Spur primary subs. After these two the bench heavily favors the Spurs due in large to their depth.

Coaches...Pop is the NBA coach of the Year. Scott is doing a great job in a very weak East.

Spurs win in 6 games or less.

The detailed overview will follow in a bit.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Stephen Jackson is the Spurs' starting off guard and he will go up against Kittles I presume. Don't underestimate Jackson.

Here are their numbers...

Kerry Kittles 10.8 pts, 3.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.2 steals.
Stephen Jackson 13.6 pts, 4.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists, and 1.4 steals.

How is Kerry Kittles better than Stephen Jackson? question

The detailed overview will follow in a bit.
How is he?Just look at Kittles career stats and I'll take Kittles in a heart beat over Jackson.Kittles can score from anywhere and he can catch fire this series and elevate his playoffs points per game.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I dont care about career stats...

If you want to look at career stats, David Robinson could score 25 points per game with 10 rebounds and a few blocks per game in this series.

The Spurs can adjust to any team's offensive schemes and will defend the Nets properly.

Kerry Kittles has never been anything more than a role player. Just wait and see. The Spurs have far too many weapons for the Nets to counter.

The first quarter of game one should be played with a red, white and blue basketball.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dont care about career stats...

If you want to look at career stats, David Robinson could score 25 points per game with 10 rebounds and a few blocks per game in this series.

The Spurs can adjust to any team's offensive schemes and will defend the Nets properly.

Kerry Kittles has never been anything more than a role player. Just wait and see. The Spurs have far too many weapons for the Nets to counter.

The first quarter of game one should be played with a red, white and blue basketball.
LOL funny thing is Robinson is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY past his prime.Just because Jackson is avg. more points per game in the playoffs doesn't mean he is a better player than Kittles.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Here are your regular season stats then....

Stephen Jackson 11.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 asists, and 1.6 steals.

Kerry Kittles 13.0 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.6 steals.

So we are talking about 1.2 points, .3 rebounds and .3 assists.

We are talking about the guy Byron Scott said cant play in this league.....dont think he will show up?

Stephen Jackson is 25 years old and is showing himself to be a balls out playoff performer.

What has Kerry Kittles done?

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here are your regular season stats then....

Stephen Jackson 11.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 asists, and 1.6 steals.

Kerry Kittles 13.0 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.6 steals.

So we are talking about 1.2 points, .3 rebounds and .3 assists.

We are talking about the guy Byron Scott said cant play in this league.....dont think he will show up?

Stephen Jackson is 25 years old and is showing himself to be a balls out playoff performer.

What has Kerry Kittles done?
Weak argument because I know Kittles can carry the load and he has in the past.Nets have a more talented starting line up in terms of more scorers so Nets don't have to rely much on Kittles.Kittle will avg. at least 17 ppg if you switch Kittles for Jackson.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong...I think Jackson hasn't reach his full potential and he still can grow as a player but as of right now he is not better than Kittles.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
So the Spurs should just mail it in now and give the Nets the title?

Kerry Kittles has averaged 17 points per game for a season once. Yeah I know, that is one more time that Stephen Jackson.

Kerry Kittles is the fourth option for the Nets, Stephen Jackson is the third option for the Spurs.

Jax averaged 16 points per game against the Suns and Mavs in these playoffs. People have said the Nets are similar to the Suns in style. This is a good thing for Jax.

In the matchups between the two teams this year, Jax wins the matchup.

In reality the Jax and Kittles matchup is a push.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
So the Spurs should just mail it in now and give the Nets the title?

Kerry Kittles has averaged 17 points per game for a season once. Yeah I know, that is one more time that Stephen Jackson.

Kerry Kittles is the fourth option for the Nets, Stephen Jackson is the third option for the Spurs.

Jax averaged 16 points per game against the Suns and Mavs in these playoffs. People have said the Nets are similar to the Suns in style. This is a good thing for Jax.

In the matchups between the two teams this year, Jax wins the matchup.

In reality the Jax and Kittles matchup is a push.
Actually accroding to experts "Nets are the underdog".I think this series will be alot closer than what people think and Nets will come out on top........Nets in Six....!!!!!!!!!

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
[
Kenyon Martin > Robinson
Jefferson > Jackson
Kittles >Bowens
Kidd > Parker
NJ Bench < SA Bench
Go NETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's look at your matchups which I have quoted.

Kenyon Martin will not matchup with David Robinson, he will matchup with Tim Duncan, so Martin loses there.

David Robinson is going up against Aaron Williams which he will win slightly.

Richard Jefferson will go up against Bruce Bowen which he wins.

Kerry Kittles vs Stephen Jackson is a push.

Jason Kidd matches up with Tony Parker which he wins.

The question will be who will Bruce Bowen guard? Whoever he guards will be hassled endlessly and will have to work extra hard for their scores.

The benches you are correct, the Spur bench beats the Net bench.

Intangibles favors the Spurs. Especially with Steve Kerr on the bench for the Spurs with his 4 championship rings and clutch shooting.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
The so called experts are reading too much into the Net's 10 game win streak. Boston sucked. New Jersey eeked out victories in games 1 and 2 in Detroit, which pretty much deflated them and their will to win.

I think the media is reading far too much into the 20 point victory in game 4 as a sign that the Nets can defeat the Spurs in a 7 game series.

Have the Nets improved that much in a year with the same cast that they can win a series where they got swept by a Laker team that dominated the Nets.

This Spur team this year is just as good as that Laker team last year. The majority of the national media are bandwagoners who are too easily influenced.

Which 'experts' are you referring to by the way?

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
San Antonio Spurs vs New Jersey Nets 2003 NBA Finals

San Antonio

reg season 15.5 points, 2.6 rebounds, 5.3 assists, .9 steals
post season 14.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 1.1 steals
vs NJ 18 points, 1 rebound, 3.5 assists

reg season 11.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.6 steals
post season 13 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.4 steals
vs NJ 15 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals

reg season 7.1 points, 2.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists, . 8 steals
post season 8.6 points, 2.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists, .9 steals
vs NJ 7 points, 4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.5 steals

reg season 23.3 points, 12.9 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 2.9 blocks
post season 24.9 points, 14.8 rebounds, 5.3 assists, 2.6 blocks
vs NJ 21 points, 14.5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block

reg season 8.5 points, 7.9 rebounds, 1 assist, 1.7 blocks
post season 6.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1.2 blocks
vs NJ 7 points, 9.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1 block

Bench

reg season 10.4 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists, .5 blocks
post season 9.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 assists, .4 blocks
vs NJ 3.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block

reg season 7.6 points, 2.3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.4 steals
post season 9.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.6 steals
vs NJ 11 points, 3.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 2.5 steals

reg season 5.8 points, 1.9 rebounds, 2.5 assists, .7 steals
post season 4.9 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, .7 steals
vs NJ 1 point, 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals (1 game)

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/0110.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/0177.jpg

New Jersey

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/2625.jpg

reg season 18.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, 8.9 assists, 2.2 steals
post season 20.3 points, 8.4 rebounds, 8.3 assists, 2.1 steals
vs SA 11 points, 8 rebounds, 13 assists, 1 steal (1 game)

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3095.jpg

reg season 13 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.6 steals
post season 10.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 steals
vs SA 11.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1 steal

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3523.jpg

reg season 15.5 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1 steal
post season 14.4 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.6 assists, .6 steals
vs SA 17.5 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1.5 steals

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3400.jpg

reg season 16.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.4 assists, .9 blocks
post season 20.7 points, 9.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 1.4 blocks
vs SA 13.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists, .5 blocks

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3530.jpg

reg season 5.7 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.1 assists, .5 blocks
post season 6.8 points, 6.9 rebounds, .8 assists, .6 blocks
vs SA 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 blocks

Bench

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/1299.jpg

reg season 10.3 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, .7 steals
post season 8.3 points, 2.6 rebounds, 1.8 assists, .5 steals
vs SA 10.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, .5 assists, 1 steal

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/1280.jpg

reg season 7 points, 3.9 rebounds, 1.6 assists, .5 blocks
post season 7.6 points, 3.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists, .2 blocks
vs SA 4.5 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2 assists, .5 blocks

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/2222.jpg

reg season 6.2 points, 4.1 rebounds, 1.1 assists, .7 blocks
post season 6.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1 assist, .7 blocks
vs SA 7.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, .5 assists, .5 blocks

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/0396.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/0425.jpg

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3544.jpg

The Skinny

Kidd > Parker
Duncan > Martin

Of these two things we know for sure. We can go into discussions all we want, but quite simply the Spurs top star is better than the Nets second star and the Nets top star is better than the Spurs second star. Of that there is no arguement, try to make an arguement saying the opposite and any credibility you have will be erased.

Robinson > Collins

Their numbers this postseason are similar, of that there is no arguement. But David Robinson does it in five fewer minutes. Also the defensive numbers favor Robinson. Robinson is greater than Collins, not by an awful large margin, but enough to make this arguement not much of a debate.

Jefferson > Bowen

Richard Jefferson in his second year in this league is really developing as a good player in this league. He has continued to get better and better as he plays. Bruce Bowen should be assigned to Richard Jefferson for most of the series, but dont be surprised to see him placed on Jason Kidd from time to time. Bruce Bowen is the best on the ball defender in the NBA. He will hassle whomever he guards and frustrate them beyond belief. Bowen even though he is the top 3 point man in the league does not match up to Jefferson, who wins this matchup easily.

Kittles Jackson

Call this a push. Stephen Jackson has done very well in two playoff series, but struggled in the other. The same thing can be said for Kerry Kittles. Jackson may have a slight advantage over Kittles, but Kittles has had success in the past, and the difference is too small to call a winner. This is a push anyway you look at it.

Spurs Bench > New Jersey Bench

Malik Rose is a better front court player than either Aaron Williams or Rodney Rogers. He is a gnat around the boards and works tirelessly to achive success. Rogers has a nice jumper which can draw the defender away from the basket, but he cannot rely solely on that jumper. Williams is an adequate backup center, but he will be at a disadvantage no matter who he matches up against in this series. Manu Ginobili and Lucious Harris both play somewhat similar roles, though I would contend Ginobili does more of the little things it takes to win. Harris is solid, while Ginobili has a flair for flash at times. After these matchups, the Spur bench heavily favors the Net bench. Steve Kerr remains one of the most clutch shooters in the NBA, seen in Game 6 of the WCF, something the Nets have no match for.

Verdict

Spurs win this series in 6 games. The Nets will provide a formadible opponent, but in the end the Spur depth and advantage in the blocks will be too much for the Nets to overcome. In the first all-ABA finals, the Spurs come out on top.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I believe I read someone earlier on this thread...

Who has Kenyon Martin defended in the playoffs? What kind of statement is that?

1.Antoine Walker - HE DOMINATED HIM. I think his series high was 17 points, and his average was around 12-13 in the series. This is an ALL-STAR we are talking about here.

2.Ben Wallace - Listen for a guy who has no touch he can still be an inside force. Kenyon shut down any second chance opportunities he had and he did an amazing job at keeping Ben off the offensive glass.

Im guessing you havent watched any Nets playoff games?

Top Bottom