What's new

NHL---More Embarassing News

Reaction score
first of all...

why in the hell did the NHL have their A-S game midweek?!?!?!?

this is the one weekend where they were no sports going on that wouldve been competeting with them.

minus the austraillian opean and that golf tourney, which dont count anyway..

ANYWAY

with the game on a wednesday night take a look at what the USATODAY reported.

viewing down 74% from the last AS game (04) and had less than 500,000 viewings!! :banghead

outdrew by

American Idol (doesnt count, seeing as Idol outdraws everything)

Mythbusters

HGTV Designer Series

and a couple other shows that i forgot but it was embarassing...

oh, if that wasnt enough

in the host city, Dallas it was the 18th most watched TV Cable Program

I for one, are still a hockey fan but somethings gotta give. this is embarassing

strandedx02

Muckdog
Reaction score
first of all...

why in the hell did the NHL have their A-S game midweek?!?!?!?

this is the one weekend where they were no sports going on that wouldve been competeting with them.

minus the austraillian opean and that golf tourney, which dont count anyway..

ANYWAY

with the game on a wednesday night take a look at what the USATODAY reported.

viewing down 74% from the last AS game (04) and had less than 500,000 viewings!! :banghead

outdrew by

American Idol (doesnt count, seeing as Idol outdraws everything)

Mythbusters

HGTV Designer Series

and a couple other shows that i forgot but it was embarassing...

oh, if that wasnt enough

in the host city, Dallas it was the 18th most watched TV Cable Program

I for one, are still a hockey fan but somethings gotta give. this is embarassing

MLB also has their all-star game midweek. I think the bigger issue is the network because nobody has ever heard of it. I wouldn't have heard of it had it not been for the NHL.

By the way, Mythbusters is a pretty awesome show. :p

Marlins97-03

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thats because it was televised on Versus. I forgot I even had Versus, until I caught the allstar game and went, "oh yeah, I have versus."

Buckeye

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thats because it was televised on Versus. I forgot I even had Versus, until I caught the allstar game and went, "oh yeah, I have versus."

Exactly. Nobody has Versus so it losing ratings to all those other shows doesn't mean sh*t because more cable companies carry those other channels. Big deal.

I only know five people in my circle who even know what the hell Versus is.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
The network of choice isnt on most cable tv stations. The only way I can watch it is having a friend live feed it through the computer to me (which I had him do). Really I think they need to get out of that contract, get on a major network and ESPN once more or even FSN.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
The nhl all star game is also terrible. I didnt even both watching it or checking the score. I found out a few days later that it was 12-9. The nhl should have take less money on stayed on espn, where atleast people watch it. VS is a terrible station.

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's pretty sad. But other than the fact that it was on a channel that no one knows exists, the fact that it was on a Wednesday hurt it big time.

Juanky

MLB also has their all-star game midweek. I think the bigger issue is the network because nobody has ever heard of it. I wouldn't have heard of it had it not been for the NHL.

By the way, Mythbusters is a pretty awesome show. :p
Yeah, but baseball has the most popular ASG and there is also absolutely nothing going on sportswise when they take the field. The day before and the day after the ASG are generally known as the two days where there are no games in big time professional sports in a year.

And Mythbusters rules.

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Versus...channel 68 here and 42(?) back home...I love having it...indoor lax and NHL hockey! But its too bad that most people don't

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of the ASG, here's the logo for next year's.

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thats a pretty sweet logo.

The ASG for the NHL is a shamockery of the game. I like the skills competition and all because I think its pretty cool but they need to have the right people in the right competitions.

I'm all for the old ASG which took place before the season started and was between the Stanley Cup champs on one side, and the true NHL all star team on the other side.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

The ASG for the NHL is a shamockery of the game. I like the skills competition and all because I think its pretty cool but they need to have the right people in the right competitions.

I'm all for the old ASG which took place before the season started and was between the Stanley Cup champs on one side, and the true NHL all star team on the other side.
I just literally cannot believe Bettman extended the contract with VS for three more years. What is this guy doing to hockey?

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score

I just literally cannot believe Bettman extended the contract with VS for three more years. What is this guy doing to hockey?
Are you serious?

rorod

Muckdog
Reaction score
hockey sucks on tv imo...but it pretty cool in person

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll only watch hockey on TV if its the Panthers. Otherwise I'd have to be there to get into it.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Versus Nets NHL Rights Extension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By R. Thomas Umstead

Amid flat national ratings and sliding regional numbers, Comcast will remain in the rink with the National Hockey League into the next decade.

Comcast?s Versus network will televise national NHL games through 2011 after exercising an option to air the 2007-08 season and picking up the rights to three additional campaigns.

?We?ll definitely have the third season, and we?ll have [the NHL] for six years,? said Versus president Gavin Harvey, who declined to discuss deal terms. ?We?re looking forward to season three on Versus.?

Sources close to Versus said the 71 million-subscriber network exercised a $72.5 million option for the 2007-08 campaign and then extended its pact for three more seasons at an undisclosed price.

"We're pleased to be partnered with Versus next season,? NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a prepared statement. ?We look forward to working together on the promotion of our game, players and the telecasts as we focus on growing U.S. viewership.?

The league would not comment about the three additional seasons.

Some in the TV-sports community thought Comcast might ice a third NHL season after failing to see a significant uptick in ratings since 2005, when it began offeringregular-season games on Monday and Tuesday nights, as well as a number of playoff contests, highlighted by the first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Through 32 games this season, Versus averaged a 0.2 Nielsen Media Research household rating, level with last year?s regular-season NHL numbers and its 2006 primetime average.

In addition, the NHL is having trouble scoring locally. According to Nielsen, regional sports networks owned by FSN, Comcast and Rainbow Media suffered an average 18% drop in ratings in their respective markets -- to a 0.78 from a 0.95 in 2005-06 -- through Jan. 21.

Nationally, Garvey said, Versus is ?thrilled? with the NHL?s performance and expects growth as viewers become more familiar with watching hockey on the network.

?We feel like we have a great partnership with a major sport and the viewers have responded,? he said. ?Hockey fans are really passionate, and we?re really happy with it.?

The network received a ratings bump with its Jan. 24 All-Star Game telecast, which garnered a 0.7 household rating, a 250% increase over Versus? regular-season ratings. The All-Star Game was the league?s first in three years.

Comcast had hoped that the NHL rights would make Versus a contender for other high-profile professional-league sports packages from the National Football League and Major League Baseball. But the NFL elected to award an eight-game primetime package to its NFL Network and Turner Broadcasting System connected with a cable package of regular-season and postseason baseball contests.

Top Bottom