What's new

Notes: Mckeon Loves Gonzo and Castillo

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good article on Alex and Luis....

Notes: Duo wows McKeon
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- In all his years managing professional baseball, Jack McKeon has never had a better double-play combination than Alex Gonzalez and Luis Castillo.
McKeon has managed the Marlins just over a month, but it didn't take him long to single out the team's dynamic fielding duo.

Both players are having All-Star caliber seasons at the plate and in the field.

Defensively, McKeon calls the two "magicians."

"They are the best double play combination I've ever had," McKeon said. "In San Diego, I had Bobby Alomar and Gary Templeton. Those guys were very good. Alomar's instincts are as good as I've ever seen. But these guys [Gonzalez and Castillo]are phenomenal."

On the just-completed road trip, Gonzalez saved two runs in crucial situations by keeping grounders earmarked for left field in the infield. The rangy shortstop preserved a Marlins win in the ninth inning at Milwaukee, running down an infield hit that otherwise would have scored the tying run from second.

He made a similar play at Texas last Friday early in the game for Brad Penny. With a runner at third, Penny was able to get out of the inning without allowing a run.

"We see that all the time," McKeon said. "That's nothing new. I don't know who is better [in the league] than these guys."

When turning double plays, McKeon marvels at how the two work so smoothly together.

"They are always anticipating," McKeon said. "They are never fooled by each other."

Both have achieved All-Star status in the past. Castillo was a reserve at second base last season, largely because of his 35-game hitting streak. But many believe he is a Gold Glove contender.

Gonzalez made the All-Star team as a rookie in 1999.

"I try to do my job in the field," Gonzalez said. "Sometimes you win games playing good defense."

Link

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
I bet that if Castillo gets traded he will be disapointed.

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
even though McKeon prob. has no control whether or whether not players will stay or go, i hope he puts up a fight for Louie to stay. but if he's smart he wont. :plain

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
McKeon doesn't care who stays or goes...

He won't be manager next season...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
He won't be manager next season...
Huh? If he goes i am complaining to the Marlins the Second he goes. He has been a very god manager and finally we have a manager that knows when to put players and when not to. If he wasnt our manager right now we would of been in very bad conditions....

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
McKeon is a short-term manager (I mean, he is 72)... He will finish the season here and I bet any money the Manager next season is Perry Hill... Which would be a wise choice, no doubt...

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think Ozzie is ready... He would be a candidate, though...

I would rather see Hill... He has always been recognized as one of/the best IF coach in baseball today...

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think Ozzie is ready... He would be a candidate, though...

I would rather see Hill... He has always been recognized as one of/the best IF coach in baseball today...
I agree with you Josh... Perry Hill should be our manager after this season...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
How about another great decision that paid off for McKeon tonight?

Let's see...Redmond's batting over .500 versus Glavine...do you start him?
Nah, put Pudge in there.

So Pudge goes out & gets a double and the game-winning homer.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah great call by Mckeon. He knew Pudge was heating up and gave him the start.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here's one for ya....

How about Willie in NY???

Although he may be the next fall guy for the Yanks, if Torre sticks around he may bolt for an oppurtunity.

You are more likely to see Leland managing the Marlins next year than Old Man River. He's already missed too many early bird specials than he'd care to admit.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
y not try and ask Bobby V to manage the Fish
Yeah. Why not? He could get this team fired up and get them to win games like Mckeon has. Also another candidate could be Buck Martinez.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd rather gouge my eye out with a rusty spoon than see Bobby V. in a Marlins uniform.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd rather gouge my eye out with a rusty spoon than see Bobby V. in a Marlins uniform.
:D Yeah, but come to think of it and he's a good manager. When he's in control of his emotions that is.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
You are more likely to see Leland managing the Marlins next year than Old Man River. He's already missed too many early bird specials than he'd care to admit.
Hey those "old" jokes are great, really. I noticed the south florida writers threw in every "age" joke in the book when McKeon was hired. If the team keeps winning though, be assured they'll fall all over themselves to write about what a great tactician he is, or how he uses his vast experience to build a confident team, or that it's his stern hand that got the team winning, etc, etc, etc...

P.S. I agree about Bobby V and the spoon. Although this town does love a big name coach.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is an exciting, enthusiastic team... That's the type of coach Bobby V. is... He is into every pitch and makes smart decisions...

And if he signed a maybe a three-year deal with Fla (figuritively speaking) I gaurentee you that he FORCES Loria to drop a lil bit of cash bot not much on a long-term deal with Dontrelle...

He loves this kid!

Top Bottom