What's new

Offense

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
After tonight we'll be 2nd in the NL in runs scored. Does anyone still think we have a poor hitting team?

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
We have a very talented offense.. just need to Hanley back in the lead off spot.. which i suspect we will do when Jake is back.

I'd like to say again, wouldnt mind leading off boone while jake is hurting if we insist on leading off hanley.

But to say we are a "poor hitting team" is ludicrous.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, we're certainly not the second best offense in the league, and we're not as good as the numbers indicate. That's all.

We feature two dead-weight spots in CF and C and we have a feast or famine microcosm of the offense in Dan Uggla.

Do we have the best hitting infield in the national league (catcher excluded) arguably, but Hermida's going to have to turn into the player we all expect him to be and we're going to have to do something for centerfield for me to believe this is a good/great offense.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
what's our record since Hanley moved to the #3 hole

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
We feature two dead-weight spots in CF and C
And after tonight we'll have 5 players (qualified players) with OPSes over .850. I may be wrong but I don't think there will be any other NL team with 3 or more. You have to look at the entire team and not only at the holes.

Festa

*raises hand*

We run it up on poor pitching.

Doesn't every good team though?

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's freefalling hitting 3rd. I don't think he's freefalling because of the move.. just mentioning it.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Reggie at lead-off experiment needs to end ASAP, he needs to bat 8th

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's freefalling hitting 3rd. I don't think he's freefalling because of the move.. just mentioning it.
I think the Marlins will be 10-5 since the move

The Reggie at lead-off experiment needs to end ASAP, he needs to bat 8th
Hate all you want, but he got on base twice tonight

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd rather know what our standing in mode runs scored is, rather then total or average per game. Totals and averages doesn't mean much.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp,
I'm not just hating, lets remember one of the trips to 1st was a Hit by Pitch

The guy looks lost out there.

We have 3 back to back black holes on the line up, 8-9- and now 1st

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
*raises hand*

We run it up on poor pitching.

Doesn't every good team though?

Absolutely.

(Welcome back, BTW)

But, I did a really half assed statistical survey of our team a while ago when some were ready to crown us with the Mets and found that while we averaged the same number of runs, we equaled or surpassed our average number in less than half our games while the Mets equaled or surpassed their average runs scored in more than half their games.

So, my reasonable conclusion was that our mean was not truly representative of our offensive ability.

(Off the top of my head, I think the average was 5.5 runs, we scored less than 5 17 times, more than 5 8 times and more that 11 twice or three times, but under 3 4 or 5 times).

With the frequency really all over the place, I had no qualms calling it an inconsistent offense that feasts on bad pitching. Yes good teams run it up on bad pitching, but good teams also beat good pitching.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't beaten any of the big NL arms this year.

Plus, there's also the matter of holding the modern baseball record for most times being no hit into the 5th inning in the team's first 30 games.

And if Lily had not been daydreaming about David Hasselhoff he probably would of beat Abercrombie to 1st...

Reggie was well out of the box before Lily even broke towards 1st.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
I do!

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score

The first time was because Lilly did a bad job on defense and didn't run to the bag.

The second time, he was likely hit on purpose because the Marlins were running up the score.

He has a .286 OBP in the lead off spot this year, including tonight's game.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

The first time was because Lilly did a bad job on defense and didn't run to the bag.

The second time, he was likely hit on purpose because the Marlins were running up the score.

He has a .286 OBP in the lead off spot this year, including tonight's game.
he still got on base twice

Ralph

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp,
I'm not just hating, lets remember one of the trips to 1st was a Hit by Pitch

The guy looks lost out there.

We have 3 back to back black holes on the line up, 8-9- and now 1st
Is'nt Boone hitting 8th?

Top Bottom