What's new

****Official Opening Day Thread*****

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
So who else woke up hyper today? I know I'm not the only one.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
This morning can't pass fast enough. I'm taking off work at noon and will be at the park around 2 or 3.

This is the most psyched I've ever been for the start of a baseball season. Maybe it's because the hockey season's over with and the Panthers aren't making the playoffs (again), or that the Heat stink or that the Dolphins missed the playoffs, or that the Hurricanes football loss still stings... Maybe it's the war that's been weighing on me, I don't know. Part of it has just been from visiting this site and getting to talk baseball and share in the enthusiasm that you all have for the Marlins. But I am literally ready to scream when the team takes the field today.

And for those of you that aren't in town, a wonderful cold front moved in Sunday night and the temperature should be in the high 60s or low 70s for the game! A nice cool breeze, free hot dogs, and a packed house. Can't beat it.

Nice article in the Miami Herald from Greg Cote:
Herald article

here's a part of it:
Home plate is clean right now, painted white, pristeen, untouched, a blank canvas waiting. Everything starts over, just like that. Today, the Marlins have a chance again. Baseball in South Florida has a chance again.
''This feels like Christmas Eve,'' new Marlins reliever Tim Spooneybarger said Sunday. ``From the last out of the last season, you think about this day.''

Josh Beckett joked that he was going to drink a 12-pack of beer Sunday night so he could relax and get some sleep! :cheers
Let's get it on! :marlinsbanner

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know, I'm counting down till 1 so I can see those Braves and Met's lose! Hopefully Sosa's 500 too.

I better find a station that's carrying today's game, damn Philly CBS got the rights and I don't have that station!

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Totally right about LeBatard. I caught a few moments of his ESPN radio show over the weekend, and man is he horrible. Why ESPN hired him is beyond me. He ought to just move up to Bristol, Connecticut full-time and get out of town. I don't get the Herald anyway, but he's an embarrassment.

You & me both 1truefan, I'm bouncing off the walls at work...

Totally agree Minus, LeBatard's opinon means absolutely zero as far as I'm concerned.

I have a comment about Hyde's article, and everyone else who seems to think we've reduced our home run output through all the trades this year. Look at it from an offensive standpoint.

1. Replace Floyd with Pudge. Home run difference? Nope.
2. Replace Preston with Encarnacion. Home run difference? Nope.
3. Replace Millar with Hollandsworth. Home run difference? Minor.
4. Replace CJ with Pierre. Home run difference? Sure, but I'll take the .290 average and 50 steals and you can keep CJ's .230 average.

So where's the big dropoff?

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Man, I can't wait either. I'm leaving work at noon.

I'm sitting in the first row of the Upper Deck behind home plate!

Go Fish!

:w00t

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Don't know if someone caught this yet, but last year for the Braves, Kevin Millwood went 0-3 with a 7.65 ERA in four games against Florida.

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
HC- yeah that was in a previous topic.....thanks though. :)
Should be interesting regardless....I think our guys are probably as hyped or more than you and I are....(hard to believe but yeah.)

Malman, you'll be in the section above me. 249!!

lucaze

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hi everybody!!!

I simply would like to wish all of you a wonderful baseball season for you and your fav team!!
I am sure our Fish will do great this year and they will surprise MLB!!
Torborg said we have postseason chances: I am sure of that!
I still have in my eyes those incredible nights in South Beach (and San Francisco too)!!!!!
Unbelievable.
Shame I was by myself and did know none of you, yet, guys!!!!

Now a promise!!!! Or even something more!!!
On September 20th, 2003, I will marry my wonderful girlfriend Jolanda!!
We are planning our honeymoon in Mexico ( 2 weeks in Cancun including a 4 days trip to Yucatan): but, you know, after all Mexico is not so from Miami.
So why not coming to the ProPlayer Stadium for a game or two just to celebrate the postseason with you????
And if the Fish are doing well, why not staying in the wonderfull South Florida like I did in '97???
Just promise me you'll be there too!!!

Have a great baseball season and remember that there is an italian Marlin who almost every night follow the Fish on the web supporting them as if he were there in South Florida with you!!!

Thanks again for making me feel part of the Marlins and South Florida!!!

Ciao
Luca

:hat

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
No, keep it in the forum for it.

I just found out ESPN might carry The game for local's but if I don't get it Ramp, I'll depend on you ;)

C

CHRISTYTOD

I was one of them too ---- pitching and defense??????? WHERE??????????

The pitching was lame and the defense was LAMER!

Way to go, guys, walking in runs, etc.......

And way to go, Lowell and Castillo, losing the game for the team with all the unearned runs.

Better get a grip guys, and in a HURRY.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Better get a grip guys, and in a HURRY.
Yes we don't want to lose all those bandwagon fans... ;)

seriously... if Pudge wasn't there.. not even 10,000 would show up...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hey that was a fantastic turnout though. I was guessing 30,000 would show and it turns out to be 37K!

Wish those fans had more to cheer about, but at least the Fish made a little run late. Hopefully we'll see some more nice crowds like that this year. Wish we could've seen AJ Burnett out there against Millwood! Soon enough though....

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
THe buig question how many will show up after opening day disaster??I hope people realize it was just first game of a long season.

Marlins4lyf

Muckdog
Reaction score
THe buig question how many will show up after opening day disaster??I hope people realize it was just first game of a long season.
i am with u there . A fan is not a real fan if he doesnt keep it head up after loses.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
They (Marlins) are expecting a big walkup crowd especially since students and teachers in Miami-Dade are on Spring Break.

Broward County has a workday on Monday as well- I don't see any reason why there won't be a huge walk up crowd.

Weather is supposed to be beautiful- a little cool- perfect for an Opening Day Win! Beautiful? It was so cold yesterday! I forgot to bring a jacket i ws freezing my butt off... :rolleyes: :p

playattheplate

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dan Retarded has the Expo ahead of the Marlins.I wonder why this guy opinions even matter and why ESPN paying to voice his opinion.
and...

Latest posts

Top Bottom