What's new

"Oh you wanna question me..."

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
So "The Dukester", aka Brad Penny, thought maybe he had the right to publically question Jack McKeon's decision to yank him after he not only forgot how to pitch, he may have lost the game with his failure to cover first base. His pathetic excuse-making and pointing the finger of blame at everyone but himself certainly didn't sit well with Jack.

Unlike Torborg who would have smiled and nodded his way through yet another "things happen in baseball...I had a long talk with Brad" excuse, Jack on the otherhand decided on a more Machiavellian way to bring the Dukester back onto the reservation. HE SENT ALL THE PITCHERS OUT FOR AN AFTERNOON OF FIELDING PRACTICE!!!! In other words, "Brad next time you get confused about who runs this club, ask your teammates."

Nice work Jack, I'm proud of you. The team is already playing above .500 ball since you got here and I'm sure you'll soon introduce the Marlins to winning baseball. We may not make the playoffs this year Jack but a season of winning baseball would mean alot to the fans in South Florida and to the players, most of whom have no idea what it feels like to be a winner, and I think you're the guy to make it happen.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think it was Peter Gammons who once said Brad Penny was to macho.. and wouldn't take advise from anyone... Nice to see Jack making these kids learn what winning is...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Kudos to Old Man River for laying a little discipline on the boys...But lets' not get carried away on the McKeon bandwagon (or is it a walker?) just yet.

Fact is, I've got just as much of a shot to skipper the Fish as Jack does next year. So don't get too used to him.

And allthough I too think the McKeon move is working out wonderfully so far, it's a mistake to pass judgement on his heavy hand too soon. Who knows how the club will reate in a week, or two weeks, or in two months for that matter. And keep in mind McKeons' actions might be reactions, as Spoony chirped up a couple weeks ago about he was being used too.

And as for him getting the boot...That was a thinly veiled attempt to spark the team. Now, it's great to see him jump on a grenade once in awhile to get the team fired up, but lets not get carried away, Gonzalez got all huffy over an interference that didn't happen, after all.

Like I said, good job Moses on managing so far, but we are winning, so let's not fix what ain't broken.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Fish, no one's talking about McKeon being here next year, he's here to do one thing - teach these players how to win. If he's here and we just had a winning season, so be it. If he's not I don't care who is the manager next year except that he brings us a winning season. That is the gold standard for the Marlins. Two straight winning seasons would transform the sports landscape in south florida.

It's best to be pragmatic about players and coaches when it comes to MLB, it isn't the Marlins per se, although they are doing particularly poorly, the game needs to wring out the contract excesses of the nineties and it has to recognize they are at war with the NFL and start fighting back. Football is devouring the spring and summer months with the Arena league and European football and drafts and camps and and and...

But back to Jack. Right now he's working, the team appears more agressive and we're winning, a good start. There's an obvious comparison to last year when the Marlins had a good chance to make a run against what at the time appeared to be inferior teams and we failed miserably. My hunch is Jack will guide this team to a winning record before the All-Star break.

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
HE SENT ALL THE PITCHERS OUT FOR AN AFTERNOON OF FIELDING PRACTICE!!!!
yep, they all could use some fielding practice to, i've seen some half-a**ed fielding from the pitchers this year

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
yep, they all could use some fielding practice to, i've seen some half-a**ed fielding from the pitchers this year thats not the main reason why he sent them out for that practice

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
yep, they all could use some fielding practice to, i've seen some half-a**ed fielding from the pitchers this year thats not the main reason why he sent them out for that practice You got it Das! lol

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
yep, they all could use some fielding practice to, i've seen some half-a**ed fielding from the pitchers this year thats not the main reason why he sent them out for that practice You got it Das! lol yea i know, it was because of Penny and his big mouth right?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
yep, they all could use some fielding practice to, i've seen some half-a**ed fielding from the pitchers this year thats not the main reason why he sent them out for that practice You got it Das! lol yea i know, it was because of Penny and his big mouth right?

uh huh

Top Bottom