Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
The brother of the New Music Thread.

Discuss music that isn't that new.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
I recently rediscovered Radiohead's The Bends.

It was one of those albums I never really got. I enjoyed it, but I didn't understand the "Best Album of the 90's" or "Best Album Ever" titles people like to bestow upon it, and I still don't. But I do understand where it's coming from. Thats a great album.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Radiohead is great. I do think people go a little overboard with them though and they are one of those 'can do no wrong' bands where their fan base is so intense that absolutely everything they do is brilliant and if you don't care for it, your music tastes suck, etc. Kind of like how Nine Inch Nails has become. I can't stand rabid music fan bases.

That said, I like them a lot.

OK Computer is definitely my favorite of their discog.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Radiohead is great. I do think people go a little overboard with them though and they are one of those 'can do no wrong' bands where their fan base is so intense that absolutely everything they do is brilliant and if you don't care for it, your music tastes suck, etc. Kind of like how Nine Inch Nails has become. I can't stand rabid music fan bases.

That said, I like them a lot.

OK Computer is definitely my favorite of their discog.

I'm stuck between Kid A and Ok Computer, but regardless both are in my top 20 of all time.

I kind of think they can do no wrong mostly because in my opinion they've done very little wrong so far. And the new songs I've heard give no indication that they are slipping at all.

That said, I have no qualms with those who don't like them. There's a lot to not get.

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't stop listening to Def Leppard. :|

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well its things like, in Airbag there are those sleigh bells playing. I like them and think they are cool but if someone said around some Radiohead fans that they thought the bells were dumb, they'd be bludgeoned. "The sleigh bells were absolute genius! If you don't like them, you don't know what you are talking about!"

Then when you find out that Thom Yorke wanted the bells in randomly and the band thought it was a retarded idea and he eventually got his way and latter he even admitted he thought it was dumb. :lol

Its more of me just ranting on fan bases, especially ones like Radiohead's then a knock on anything the band has done.

Radiohead grew on me slowly in high school. I used to not like them but they are one of those bands that you almost have to give multiple listens to and the album got better and better with each listen.

Just like Bjork for me. I never 'got' Bjork for a long time and within probably the last 15-18 months I made an 'effort' to start listening to her and I now think she is one of the best musicians of all-time. Post and Homogenic are probably somewhere in my top 15-20 albums I've ever listened too. Just phenomenal. I'm always glad I gave her the chance.

Yeah, I've actually played Hysteria a bunch on my surround sound for some reason in the last few weeks. I don't even think they are that talented and I don't like that era of music that much but that is an addicting and well put together album. Ton of hits on it.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well its things like, in Airbag there are those sleigh bells playing. I like them and think they are cool but if someone said around some Radiohead fans that they thought the bells were dumb, they'd be bludgeoned. "The sleigh bells were absolute genius! If you don't like them, you don't know what you are talking about!"

Then when you find out that Thom Yorke wanted the bells in randomly and the band thought it was a retarded idea and he eventually got his way and latter he even admitted he thought it was dumb. :lol

Its more of me just ranting on fan bases, especially ones like Radiohead's then a knock on anything the band has done.

Radiohead grew on me slowly in high school. I used to not like them but they are one of those bands that you almost have to give multiple listens to and the album got better and better with each listen.

You just described Wilco and their fan base.

I spend a lot of time on a Wilco message board and it's exactly like that...

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score

Just like Bjork for me. I never 'got' Bjork for a long time and within probably the last 15-18 months I made an 'effort' to start listening to her and I now think she is one of the best musicians of all-time. Post and Homogenic are probably somewhere in my top 15-20 albums I've ever listened too. Just phenomenal. I'm always glad I gave her the chance.

Yeah, I've actually played Hysteria a bunch on my surround sound for some reason in the last few weeks. I don't even think they are that talented and I don't like that era of music that much but that is an addicting and well put together album. Ton of hits on it.

Hysteria itself is actually a great song and it's one of the first tabs I've been working on. Photograph is by far my favorite Def Leppard song. If not my favorite song. Ever.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
I recently rediscovered Radiohead's The Bends.

It was one of those albums I never really got. I enjoyed it, but I didn't understand the "Best Album of the 90's" or "Best Album Ever" titles people like to bestow upon it, and I still don't. But I do understand where it's coming from. Thats a great album.

Extremely overrated band.

With all that said, "Fake Plastic Trees" from The Bends and "Karma Police" from OK are just sick, sick tracks that will never get old.

My problem with Radiohead is that they have such a boner for the obscure. With the exception of "Everything In Its Right Place", Kid A is relatively awful and Amnesiac is rubbish. A waste of my money.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I download the album "Absolution" by Muse yesterday, and I cannot stop listening to it. No idea while I didn't get into Muse earlier.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Radiohead lost me around the time of Kid A. I thought it was okay, but didn't really understand why it was being proclaimed as a landmark album. I still don't. Their early stuff--especially OK Computer--is great. OK Computer is possibly in my 10 favorite albums ever.

I still like most of what they do, but I like what many other bands are doing quite a bit more.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Radiohead lost me around the time of Kid A. I thought it was okay, but didn't really understand why it was being proclaimed as a landmark album. I still don't. Their early stuff--especially OK Computer--is great. OK Computer is possibly in my 10 favorite albums ever.

I still like most of what they do, but I like what many other bands are doing quite a bit more.

Yeah, you can't really be in the middle about Kid A. If you're in you've gotta be in "whole hog", as my friend says.

I personally think it's one of the most terrifyingly gorgeous albums ever made.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
Go download a mix called 'Buzz Ballads'. '90s and early '00s alternative/rock songs that I cannot get enough of.

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sirius has that new 90s Alternative station "Lithium 24" which is basically the soundtrack for my college years (1990-1994) and law school (1994-1997). I've listened to stuff there that I haven't heard in a while. While listening to it, I've grown a new appreciation for Everclear. Don't ask me why!

As for old songs, I have what I consider my own personal Top 5 songs of all time:

Anything, Anything by Dramarama
How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
Save It For Later by The English Beat
Divorce Song by Liz Phair
Veloria by The Pixies

Two "asides" from that list of songs. I'm stoked about getting good seats to see Morrissey at Mizner Park Amphitheatre in July. That last time I saw him live was in 1992 at the University of Central Florida Arena. I and the girl I was with at the time (who weighed all of 95 lbs) were almost trampled by morose gay men that were rushing the stage! The Morrissey show is going to be four days (July 14) after The Police show (July 10) of which I also have tickets -- looks like 2007 is going to be a pretty good concert year for me. Second, I saw Liz Phair two years ago and she is SO MUCH BETTER LOOKING in person than on video! I literally was right up against the stage at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale and was stunned by her looks, and she's about my age so that didn't make me feel icky!

Also speaking of old music and also because there has been an inordinate about of Def Leppard being discussed here, one of my high school buddies wrote this book:

Pick it up if you have the chance, it's available at amazon.com. Brian May of Queen wrote the forward of the book, and thanks to that we got to see Queen + Paul Rodgers for free last year at the American Airlines Arena. My buddy has become friends with alot of the guitarists who contributed to the book and he keeps sending me pictures of his escapades with these guys (the Zakk Wylde stories are hilarious!). So, if you want to, please patronize my good buddy!

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Early Liz Phair is awesome. Exile in Guyville, for all its women empowerment is awesome and a phenomenal debut album.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've somehow never listened to that Liz Phair album, though I've always wanted to. A lot of people think it's the best album of the 90's. I have seen Liz Phair live, though. I'm putting Guyville on my To Do List for May.

I've never been able to make a Top 5 for songs. There's not even one song I could name that would definitely make it. In fact, I would probably need to go to at least a Top 20 before I could guarantee any song would make such a list.

As for your Top 5, SoFla...Save It For Later is one of those songs I never get sick of. My favorite Smiths song is probably Bigmouth Strikes Again. I have no idea what my favorite Pixies song is, but it's not Velouria, no offense to Velouria. I am unfamiliar with Dramarama.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
FWIW ...

the bends is an EXELLENT album.

I was really behind the whole electronica-alternative vibe that Radiohead embarked upon releasing OK computer, that album was groundbreaking and uber awesome but their old stuff rocks as much as anyone

anything after OK computer was bleh though

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've somehow never listened to that Liz Phair album, though I've always wanted to. A lot of people think it's the best album of the 90's. I have seen Liz Phair live, though. I'm putting Guyville on my To Do List for May.

I've never been able to make a Top 5 for songs. There's not even one song I could name that would definitely make it. In fact, I would probably need to go to at least a Top 20 before I could guarantee any song would make such a list.

As for your Top 5, SoFla...Save It For Later is one of those songs I never get sick of. My favorite Smiths song is probably Bigmouth Strikes Again. I have no idea what my favorite Pixies song is, but it's not Velouria, no offense to Velouria. I am unfamiliar with Dramarama.

MY favorite Pixies song would be "Where Is My Mind". GReat tune.

My top 5 right now would be:

"Jesus Etc."- Wilco
"Rosalita"- Bruce Springsteen
"Astral Weeks"- Van Morrison
"No Surprises"- Radiohead
"Something"- The Beatles

That was tough, and it'll change in the next 5 minutes.

Speaking of old music...

For the first time I am going out of my way to listen to a Grateful Dead album. American Beauty. Only because I saw an episode of Freaks and Geeks last night which featured some songs from it that actually sounded good.

My biggest beef with the Dead is that you can't just think they are ok. YOu have to love them, or you can't like them at all. And for the most part, I've not liked what I like. But I'm enjoying this album. Not at all jammy. I could see my self liking this album a lot.

Let's see all of your top 10 albums of all time. MIne would resemble this:

Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
The Beatles- Abbey Road
The Clash- London Calling
Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisited
Weezer- Pinkerton
Radiohead- OK Computer
Van Morrison- Astral Weeks
The Arcade Fire- Funeral
The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Bright Eyes- I'm Wide Awake It's Morning

So as you can tell, I'm not of the opinion that no good new music ever comes out, seeing as 4 of my top 10 were released in the past 5 years, and 2 in the last 2 years.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Listening to "Let's Not sh*t Ourselves" by Bright Eyes from Lifted, or the Story Is In The Soil and I've realized this may be my favorite song of all time, actually. Each one of the verses stands on it's own as an incredibly piece of imagery and each one is among my favorite lyrics ever.

Well the animals laugh from the dark of the wilderness
A baby cries hard in an apartment complex
As I pass in a car buried under the influence
The city's driving me out of my mind
I've seen a child, he's caught in the sad trap of gravity
He falls from the lowest branch of the apple tree
And lands in the grass, and weeps for his dignity
Next time he will not aim so high
Yeah, next time, neither will I

Now a mother takes loans out, sends her kids off to colleges
Her family's reduced to names on a shopping list
While a coroner kneels beneath a great wooden crucifix
He knows there's worse things than being alone
And so I've learned to retreat at the first sign of danger
I mean, why wait around, if it's just to surrender?
And ambition, I've found, can lead only to failure
I do not read the reviews
No, I am not singing for you

Well, I stood dropping a coin into the pit of a well
And I would throw my whole billfold if I thought it would help
With all these wishes I make, I should buy something real
At least a telephone to call home
Well, my teachers, they built this retaining wall of memory
All those multiple choices I answered so quickly
And got my grades back, and forgot just as easily
But at least I got an A
And so I don't have them to blame

Well I should stop pointing fingers, reserve my judgement
Of all those public action figures, the cowboy presidents
So loud behind the bullhorn, so proud they can't admit
When they've made a mistake
Well, poison ink spews from a speechwriter's pen
He knows he don't have to say it so it, it don't bother him
Honesty, accuracy, just popular opinion
And the approval rating's high
And so someone's gonna die

Well, ABC, NBC, CBS bulls***
They give us fact or fiction, I guess an even split
And each new act of war is tonight's entertainment
We're still the pawns in their game
As they take eye for an eye, until no one can see
We must stumble blindly forward, repeating history
Well I guess we all fit into your slogan in that fast food marquee
Red-blooded, white skinned, oh and the blues
Oh, and the blues, I got the blues, that's me!
(That's me!)
That's me!

Well I awoke in relief, my sheets and tubes were all tangled
Weak from whiskey and pills in a Chicago hospital
And my father was there, in a chair by the window
Staring so far away
I tried talking, just whispered, "So sorry, so selfish"
He stopped me and said, "Child, I love you regardless
There's nothing you could do that would ever change this
I'm not angry, it happens
But you just can't do it again"

So now I try to keep up, I've been exchanging my currency
While a million objects pass through my periphery
Now I'm rubbing my eyes, cause they're starting to bother me
I've been staring too long at the screen
But where was it when I first heard that sweet sound of humility?
It came to my ears in the goddamn loveliest melody
How grateful I was then to be part of the mystery
To love and to be loved
Let's just hope that is enough

Top Bottom