What's new

Oliver Perez, More Value than Dontrelle?

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
(First off sorry if this has been posted somewhere already)

I was reading an article by Bob Klapisch on ESPN.com today regarding Oliver Perez rise to "dominance" this year for the Mets. There was an interesting quote regarding Dontrelle Willis from Omar Minaya...

Today, Perez is blossoming so quickly that usually cautious Minaya openly says, "People talk about Dontrelle [Willis], but with the stuff Perez has, he's right up there with Dontrelle."

Not that I necessarily disagree with Omar but Perez was once lauded as the next Randy Johnson and then the next year lauded as the biggest bust.

My question is do you really think (or afraid) that we missed the boat on shipping Dontrelle out for the best package possible? I've been reading a Mets blog i frequent daily and most commentors on there would rather have Dan Haren over Dontrelle. I'm afraid Dontrelle is quickly being viewed as just a normal pitcher and not the ace he once was.

I really hope once the trade deadline approaches that (and if we are sellers) we do not settle for a mediocre package for Train b/c the market just isn't there for him.

Here is the link to the rest of the article I got the quote from: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=2885301

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's not worth as much as he once was, imo.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I still think we would get a very nice package in return for Dontrelle if we decided to trade him at the deadline. The value for pitchers keeps going higher, he has a good track record of success, he is a lefty, and there won't be many pitchers on the market with the history that Dontrelle already has at such a young age.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
I still think we would get a very nice package in return for Dontrelle if we decided to trade him at the deadline. The value for pitchers keeps going higher, he has a good track record of success, he is a lefty, and there won't be many pitchers on the market with the history that Dontrelle already has at such a young age.
Hopefully his clubhouse presence and his huge heart will help net that kind of deal. Then again hopefully we won't need to trade Dontrelle.

Reaction score
A Lefty Workhorse who has already had a 20+ win season. Oh yeah, and he's what? 25?

Baseball's open market is the same one that thought Alfonso Soriano should be getting an 8 year 100+ million dollar contract. I don't think that the open market in baseball really does a good job of evaluating the value a player has to their team.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Quality lefty is a quality lefty.

Perez has one maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajor meltdown to his credit so to see him go kablooey again wouldn't be at all surprising. Dontrelle's on-field production is certainly overrated, and he is really living off of a great '03 debut and a fantastic '05, but he's been subpar in his two most recent seasons.

Still, if you were to tell the Mets they could get Dontrelle for Perez straight up, they'd do it in a heartbeat...to me, that says all you need to know.

Would I trade Dontrelle if I were the Marlins? Probably, but not this season unless we get a trifecta of blue-chip talent in return, and that's a price many would be reluctant to pay.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
What do you expect Minaya to say...."I'd sell my soul to have Dontrelle on the team. I'd give up plenty, and more. He'd be worth 30 Million a year to us in merchandise sales alone plus other things. My God, the man's value is staggering!"

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
What do you expect Minaya to say...."I'd sell my soul to have Dontrelle on the team. I'd give up plenty, and more. He'd be worth 30 Million a year to us in merchandise sales alone plus other things. My God, the man's value is staggering!"
Nope I didn't expect him to say that. I just thought it was a curious comment since the Mets have been so high on him for the past few years.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nope I didn't expect him to say that. I just thought it was a curious comment since the Mets have been so high on him for the past few years.
He's trying to negotiate. And he's not real good at it. Not a good trader either. I would say that this pathetic statement comparing Oliver Perez to Dontrelle isn't going to fool any GM in baseball, but I guess it fooled a few here.
Don't worry about Dontrelle's trade value. As long as he can be even a #4 pitcher he's worth a king's ransom in ancillary value to teams like the Mets, Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox(well, maybe not in Boston).

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
what was the package offered to the Marlins for Dontrelle?
when?

Marlino

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Mets would wet their pants to get Willis. I don't get why people bad mouth Dontrelle. The guy is leading the NL in victories and has done so all year.

He is a very valuable commodity for three reasons. 1. He is good, 2. he is young and very importantly 3. he has a dynamic personality. He would be a star in NYC.

To media/marketing people that is important because players with personality generate team profit.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wouldn't part with a whole lot for Dontrelle, I mean he's pretty inconsistent from year to year.
2003 -- great year
2004 -- bad year
2005 -- great year
2006 - mediocre year
2007 so far -- f***ing horrible year
He's good when he's on, but he's pretty inconsistent IMO. And if it costs one of the Mets' top OF pospects to get him, forgot that.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score

I wouldn't call it a f***ing horrible year. Glad to see you changed your sig :thumbup

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wouldn't part with a whole lot for Dontrelle, I mean he's pretty inconsistent from year to year.
2003 -- great year
2004 -- bad year
2005 -- great year
2006 - mediocre year
He's good when he's on, but he's pretty inconsistent IMO. And if it costs one of the Mets' top OF pospects to get him, forgot that.

2007-Horrible F'n year? :rolleyes:

Your adorable dude.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
2003 -- great year
2004 -- bad year
2005 -- great year
2006 - mediocre year

2007-Horrible F'n year? :rolleyes:

Your adorable dude.
His name says alot, a bunch of Mets BS. :thumbup

Top Bottom