What's new

Olsen figured out what he did wrong today....

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Chipper Jones blasted a three-run homer, and Olsen's day was through after 65 pitches, with 39 for strikes. The outing was Olsen's shortest since his Sept. 24, 2006, appearance at Philadelphia, when he gave up seven runs, three earned, in 2 2/3 innings.

"I got killed," said Olsen, assessing his outing bluntly. "I didn't throw strikes. That's the bottom line. When I did, they hit it. Even when it wasn't a strike, they still hit it. Days happen like that."

Olsen calls the walk to Hudson the turning point in the game.

"If you don't walk the pitcher right there, you've got a guy on second with one out," he said.

Olsen says he knows what he did wrong and knows what he has to fix before his next start, which will be Friday against the Nationals at Dolphin Stadium.

"A lot of it is sequence, I think," Olsen said, meaning he needs to keep the hitters guessing more about what he will throw. "Chipper Jones was sitting slider. I saw on the replay. It looks like he is sitting slider right there, the whole time. That's my guess, that it is sequence."

An example of how the Braves were guessing correctly on Olsen's slider came on Chipper's home run.

"If you watch the replay, he clears his front foot and drops the head [of the bat] on the ball," Olsen said.

Olsen added he had been throwing across his body a little bit in recent starts, but he felt he was better with that part of his delivery Sunday.

"It's a mental thing, I think I need to focus more," Olsen said. The five runs allowed in the third were the most given up by Marlins pitchers in any inning this season. Five times previously, the club gave up three.
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/gameda...sp&c_id=fla

FishFanInPA

Once again....Olsen comes up small......he annoys me more then anyone with his cocky attitude....walking the pitcher was disasterous.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Once again....Olsen comes up small......he annoys me more then anyone with his cocky attitude....walking the pitcher was disasterous.
and yet you probably liked one of AJ Burnett or Josh Beckett

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I like that he was upfront about the error and is working to fix it.

How is it cocky to say he was in error and will fix it?

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Command is the main problem obviously, which is tied to sequence.

FishFanInPA

I loved AJ....still do....and he got so much sh*t for his antics....how do we pardon Olsen for the fight with Mess....the bravado that is not backed up with performance.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score

I loved AJ....still do....and he got so much sh*t for his antics....how do we pardon Olsen for the fight with Mess....the bravado that is not backed up with performance.

AJ Burnett is awful. He's a cocky prick who has never been as good as he thinks he is.

UCFMarlinFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
with respect to what he said about his pitch sequence to chipper.... shoot yourself in the face if you didn't know a slider was coming after he got ahead with two fastball strikes.

it was a good slider... but chipper just knew it was coming, it was written all over his swing.

later in that inning he did a great job of pitching to franceour; mixing in a nice change that froze him.

juanpierre

Muckdog
Reaction score
burnett worried more about the attendance and fans than he did about pitching. I dont remember him trying to better himself. He was a tremendous talent but a terrible pitcher because he tried to strike everyone out rather than helping the team out by being an effective pitcher.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

So you don't like Scott Olsen, because people hated AJ Burnett. Gotcha.

FishFanInPA

No I don't like Olsen because he doesn't back up his cockiness....I see him as another AJ that for some reason no one wants to say anything bad about.

juanpierre

Muckdog
Reaction score

No I don't like Olsen because he doesn't back up his cockiness....I see him as another AJ that for some reason no one wants to say anything bad about.

what are you joking? He has already matched aj burnett's highest win total in a season. And in case you forgot, he did it in his rookie year.

LetsG0Fish

Muckdog
Reaction score

Obviouslly Olsen wasn't the only one to get in an argument with Girardi before. That was two egos clashing. As for the Cabrera argument, Cabrera was being a lazy ass and i'm glad he called him out for it. With Messenger i don't know what happened there but after his black eye i doubt he'll piss messenger off again.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score

what are you joking? He has already matched aj burnett's highest win total in a season. And in case you forgot, he did it in his rookie year.
Like FishFanInPA I don't particularly care for Olsen I don't think his stuff is nearly as good as many Marlins fan would have you believe. Reading this board one would think Olsen is a fireballer who blows hitters away and that's ridiculous. I have very little doubt once their careers are over AJ and Beckett will have a lot more innings than Olsen with a lower ERAs.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not all that sure I like his attitude. Seems like he felt he had to make an excuse for his performance.

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
Olsen is good. He probably belongs in the mid to lower half of a rotation, but you can't deny that he is good. I know people always talk about his slider, but that pitch might be the best pitch in the rotation. He doesn't have great velocity, but he touches 90 with no problem. I've heard hitters say that his fastball (when on) can be thrown anywhere and make you hesitate.

Is he a pompous ass? Yes. Is he good? Yes.

I like Scotty. I like his fire. I don't know when competitveness became such a negative attribute.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
I love the kid. You can call it a cocky attitude but the kid just wants to win and he's not sure how to handle it yet. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head but i would bet the farm that superstars up and down sports had high emotions when they were first starting out. You dont get to be this good without being competitive. Still no excuse for throwing hissy fits or playing like hell..but thats still the way I feel.

I was hoping outings like this were behind him but I think we should all agree he still has some growing up to do. No matter what though, his future is as bright as any young gun in the NL. Top 5 Cy Young next year.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Im pretty sure he started the same way last season...could care less about his attitude as long as he starts to heat up

and whoever said he doesnt have good stuff...huh? He has above average stuff for a LHP, no doubt.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

IMO completely different situations and reasons. I have made it known I am not a Scotty fan but it's because umps and players can get into his head. He loses concentration and then becomes nothing better than a BP pitcher if he can even get the ball over the plate. I like his stuff and I think he will become a very good pitcher when the maturity sinks in. And I do believe that maturity will come around to him. Not letting things get to you, and taking it one pitch at a time has got to be the biggest hurdle for anyone, but it is the difference from being a thrower and a pitcher.
AJ and Josh were different. Neither wanted to listen to the coaching staff or their catcher and it hurt them big time. Josh seemed to mature the last year or so with us and started to become a pitcher instead of a thrower. He kinda won me over that last year. However, AJ never did. Once in a while he would listen and he would be great. But when you started to see him shake off signs you just knew bad things were about to happen. I got slammed so many times on boards and at games saying I thought he was that "unnamed club house source" that was giving all the negative comments, and then everyone just shut up when it was divulged it actually was him. The guy has all the tools except a brain. I rather doubt his ego will ever allow him to become the pitcher he can be.

Top Bottom