What's new

Olsen Gets A Free Ride on A.J. Like Comments

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins
I'm surprised that the day has gone by and nobody has brought this up. Olsen making comments about the fans(or lack of) down here. Similar to what we've heard in the past from others, like A.J., who got lambasted here for voicing his opinion. Personally, I have no problem with what Olsen and others have said. It's a fact. But there are some here who like to blast players for making fan comments. I'm surprised Olsen got a free ride on this one.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
like with AJ, I could care less what they say

just pitch well and I won't complain

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
went to all 3 games and marlins fan easily outnumbered mets fans the only problem is we literally had nothing to cheer about during the whole 3 game series so 5000 thousand fans who are cheering can easily sound as if they own the stadium when 20000 fans are heading for the gates after getting their a?sses kicked again, again , and again . btw over 34k on sats game we were loud and supportive with our thunder sticks :)

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Meh, Scottie is right, the crowds down here are pathetic and I don't blame him or
anyone else for saying it. I went on Saturday and Sunday and I felt like I was in
New York Jr.

MiRi

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have no problem with what he said. He didn't say anything horrible.

I was at Friday & Saturday's game. I felt outnumbered. And by the way, I hate it when the Mets fans start their chant, our fans just boo. Why not just start a big loud "Let's Go Marlins" chant to drown theirs out.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
went to all 3 games and marlins fan easily outnumbered mets fans the only problem is we literally had nothing to cheer about during the whole 3 game series so 5000 thousand fans who are cheering can easily sound as if they own the stadium when 20000 fans are heading for the gates after getting their a?sses kicked again, again , and again . btw over 34k on sats game we were loud and supportive with our thunder sticks :)

I wanted to shove my thundersticks up a few blue and orange asses.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score

I agree. As I said, I have no problem with the comments. It's a fact. It's naive to think that 99% of the players don't feel the same as Olsen or A.J., they just don't talk about it.
As long as you pitch or play well, it's fine with me to have the players speak the truth.
What struck me was the double-standard between A. J. and Olsen. A.J. was roundly lambasted here for his comments, though he was a very worthwhile contributor to the team, apart from his last month. I really liked A.J. and I really like Olsen. Just couldn't let this one pass without bringing up the double standard.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm surprised that the day has gone by and nobody has brought this up. Olsen making comments about the fans(or lack of) down here. Similar to what we've heard in the past from others, like A.J., who got lambasted here for voicing his opinion. Personally, I have no problem with what Olsen and others have said. It's a fact. But there are some here who like to blast players for making fan comments. I'm surprised Olsen got a free ride on this one.
Most fans believe the hype and expect him to be a star so they give him a free ride on everything.

AJ was a good pitcher for the Marlins. The same thing cannot be said about Olsen.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Most fans believe the hype and expect him to be a star so they give him a free ride on everything.

AJ was a good pitcher for the Marlins. The same thing cannot be said about Olsen.

Olsen is still young and has more than enough time to improve, A.J. has reached his
peak and he ain't all that good.

Reaction score

Too early to say that Olsen has not been a good pitcher for the Marlins so far. He's had limited service time, and so far I think he's done a decent job.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score

Olsen is still young and has more than enough time to improve, A.J. has reached his
Well AJ goes deeper into games and allows fewer runs. The chances that Olsen will have a better career than AJ (based on innings per start and ERA+) are slim and none.

Too early to say that Olsen has not been a good pitcher for the Marlins so far. He's had limited service time, and so far I think he's done a decent job.
He has been around for the equivalent of a year and a half and so far his ERA is a bit worse than league average and his innings per start are ridiculously low. Below average pitcher so far in his career.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
went to all 3 games and marlins fan easily outnumbered mets fans
You were at home. If you have to clarify that, then that's sad. It's not like it's a Milwaukee/Chicago thing here either.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well AJ goes deeper into games and allows fewer runs. The chances that Olsen will have a better career than AJ (based on innings per start and ERA+) are slim and none.

He has been around for the equivalent of a year and a half and so far his ERA is a bit worse than league average and his innings per start are ridiculously low. Below average pitcher so far in his career.

He's only 23, chillax.

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
AJ didn't get heat from comments like those, he got heat from comments like those, while failing to win games during a playoff chase, and saying he can't wait to get out of South Florida.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Olsen didn't really come out and blast the fans here. He just stated basically said that they're not getting a lot of support, and that it would be nice to have more people at the game. Which is to say: he stated the obvious. I remember A.J.'s comments being a lot more pointed.

arm9703

Muckdog
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, I would like to have ALL the Marlins players saying what Olsen's saying. It's only the truth. And what's the worst that can happen. We feel even more alienated? (If that's even possible)

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

AJ was 7-9 his first two years here and 49-50 over his 7 years here. Scotty is 17-15 in his short time here. AJ rarely would let his ego accept advice from the coaches or his catcher while Scotty is at least starting to listen and settle down. AJ was also a club house cancer. I'll take a pitcher that is coachable and has a winning record over one that isn't and didn't. I predict if Scotty is here 7 years he will far surpass AJ's numbers with us.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. There was nothing to cheer about. I thought the Marlins fans came out in force this weekend. Too bad the team didn't.

I also suspect young Mr. Olsen has probably learned a thing or two about being interviewed by Mike Berardino. Olsen has been presented to the fans of South Florida as a face of the Fish, at loads of events and usually attached at the hip to LB. My guess is Berardino led him on and Scott was being agreeable, whether or not he agreed.

Let's see if this happens again. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering the interviewer.

Top Bottom