What's new

Opening Day Postponed

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
Manfred might finally reach his dream of cancelling baseball.

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
Lets say it is only 2 weeks. Do you think they just push the entire schedule back two weeks changing every single game day or do they, tag those two weeks at the end of the schedule so only 2 weeks change? I would imagine the latter, but Manfred is in charge so...

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
Lets say it is only 2 weeks. Do you think they just push the entire schedule back two weeks changing every single game day or do they, tag those two weeks at the end of the schedule so only 2 weeks change? I would imagine the latter, but Manfred is in charge so...
I think the 2 weeks of games won't be played. So we'll have a ~150 game schedule for the 2020 season. Can't really extend the season much because weather starts to get un-baseball-playable in the northern cities as November approaches.

That being said, I full expect it to be way more than two weeks and for there to possibly be closer to 100 games. It's not a wild thing to think that the whole season may be banged.

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
It's not a wild thing to think that the whole season may be banged.
Lets say this happens. What happens with contracts? Are the players paid? If not, does the contract roll over? Would a guy who is a pending free agent end up back with the team in 2021?

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
lol gotta like that my thread/post was deleted even through it was around first.

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
Lets say this happens. What happens with contracts? Are the players paid? If not, does the contract roll over? Would a guy who is a pending free agent end up back with the team in 2021?
No idea, but the players have to be paid because they are salaried workers. It REALLY REALLY sucks for people that work hourly jobs at the stadiums, as they won't be getting a paycheck unless they find a new job. Dallas Mavs owner Mark Cuban has promised to take care of the hourly workers there, let's hope YeahJeetz does something similar with the folks who work at Marlins Park.

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
Latest:

The season will start by April 15th or the season will not start.

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
Latest:

The season will start by April 15th or the season will not start.
to clarify, this is an unconfirmed rumor for now, but it has legs. It's been reported by a couple of legit sources, just none of the MLB-employed ones.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
They can't determine cancelling the season this soon.

If the break is only 2-3 weeks I'll imagine they try and squeeze the missed games in on off days and with doubleheaders when possible. Each game has value for many reasons and while they may not play them all the more they can make up the better.

fish53

Muckdog
Reaction score
Really, Mish is "stunned". After EVERYTHING else on the planet has been canceled and baseball finally joins in he is stunned. Surprised it happened. Of course, he could have been off world until yesterday and not aware of what has been happening. I doubt anyone breathing was stunned with yesterdays announcement.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Really, Mish is "stunned". After EVERYTHING else on the planet has been canceled and baseball finally joins in he is stunned. Surprised it happened. Of course, he could have been off world until yesterday and not aware of what has been happening. I doubt anyone breathing was stunned with yesterdays announcement.
I don't think he meant stunned as in not knowing it was coming. I think it's the feeling of this all escalating so quickly the last few days and not knowing what to do next. Sounds more like he meant "stunning" instead of "stunned."

Top Bottom