What's new

Optimism

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
Uggla has struggled, Julio's contract is apparently being picked up by whoever we are playing, Nolasco hasn't looked good since the first couple games of Spring, and Borchard is an absolute mess (which he walked twice tonight, so I'll take that.)

With Tank, Johnson, and Hermida gone... we have to be feeling pretty incredible about our start.

Miguel Cabrera looks like he is in BP, everytime he steps to the plate.
Hanley is the Hanley we fell in love with last year... only stronger.
Jacobs learned to hit to the opposite field, and already has 3 hits to the oppo this year. This is huge for him.
Hammer is hitting the ball very hard.
You know who else is hitting well? Effing, Miguel Olivio, and some kid whose name sounds like a magic trick out in CF.

Dontrelle has been dominate in 10 of his 12 innings
Olsen looked crazy good for his first 5 innings and he has just as many or more hits than Borch or Uggla.
Anibal Sanchez is so freaking crafty on the mound.
Sergio Mitre far exceeded his very low expectation from us.

Not to mention Messenger, Owens, Gardner, and Lindstrom and Pinto have allowed ZERO runs in 8.2 Innings.

I know it's only 5 games. But for all the complaining we do, there is a lot more to be really ecstatic about.

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
Julio, Julio, Julio...

I have no idea.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
There is much to be optimistic about.

I'm just worried about the defense and the situations the Marlins use Jorge Julio in.
pretty much echoes my thoughts

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
There is much to be optimistic about.

I'm just worried about the defense and the situations the Marlins use Jorge Julio in.
pretty much echoes my thoughts

me too

i honestly think our weak defense and lack of an effective closer will keep us from being one of the elite teams in the national league. i really do think we're that good otherwise.

llahsram

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good post, Bucklin!

We've addressed one of our biggest spring training concerns in that we're hitting the ball well for the most part, and we're scoring runs. I'm very optimistic about this team.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
We're playing very well all things considered, but the 500 pound gorilla in the room (or the guilloteen over our heads) is that our defense appears pourous and we still use Jorge Julio. Either of those things can/will give away games we should win. That and you have to wonder how we'll do when Miggy and Jacobs cool off since they can't hit .500 for the rest of the year.

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
We're playing very well all things considered, but the 500 pound gorilla in the room (or the guilloteen over our heads) is that our defense appears pourous and we still use Jorge Julio. Either of those things can/will give away games we should win. That and you have to wonder how we'll do when Miggy and Jacobs cool off since they can't hit .500 for the rest of the year.

I'm not worried. When they cool off, Beinfest will just make a trade an rip off another GM. Clearly you have not learned your Beinfest 101.

mcwkm

Muckdog
Reaction score
That and you have to wonder how we'll do when Miggy and Jacobs cool off since they can't hit .500 for the rest of the year.
who says miggy cant hit .500 for the rest of the year :mischief2

Reaction score
That and you have to wonder how we'll do when Miggy and Jacobs cool off since they can't hit .500 for the rest of the year.
who says miggy cant hit .500 for the rest of the year :mischief2
:thumbup

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
If not for Julio we would be 4-1. De Aza made a bad mistake tonite but he has been sensational in CF so far. Uggla has slumped and JJ is still out but all other sophomores have continued to play very well

beautox

Muckdog
Reaction score
De Aza made a mistake tonight in CF, but so far so good.

Uggla will come out of it, i think somewhere between pre asb and post asb '06 is the real Dan, and ill gladly take it.

Can't wait to see Hermida out in RF in may, possibly on the north or south side of Chicago.

On an off note i can't wait to see how the marlins approach the draft this year scout.com in their first mock draft has us taking 3B Josh Vitters, if were in contention do you think the FO might draft fast track college BP arms that could potentially help us in Sept?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not to take this thread in a different direction (and I suppose I could have asked this in the minor league forum) but anyone know what happened to the plan MLB was putting forward, of changing the rules to allow draft picks and choices to be traded before and immediately after the annual draft as is the case in professional football for example?

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
De Aza made a mistake tonight in CF, but so far so good.

Uggla will come out of it, i think somewhere between pre asb and post asb '06 is the real Dan, and ill gladly take it.

Can't wait to see Hermida out in RF in may, possibly on the north or south side of Chicago.

On an off note i can't wait to see how the marlins approach the draft this year scout.com in their first mock draft has us taking 3B Josh Vitters, if were in contention do you think the FO might draft fast track college BP arms that could potentially help us in Sept?
I doubt it...it's not the Marlins way

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's not the Marlins' way, they wanted Hansen in '05 but Boras wanted more than they were willing to pay. That said, I don't think it is a great idea as like Hansen a dominant closer at college doesn't necessarily translate into great initial results. I do think a guy like Hansen can be great in the majors, just that he was rushed and given the number of innings a college closer throws throughout the season, they are often tired come Sept.

Top Bottom