What's new

Orange Bowl -vs- New Baseball Facility

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
The details are still unofficial, but this is what I got out of the TV/Radio/Print outlets today.

Leaked today that UM has reached an agreement in principle with the city of Miami to initiate a $100mil refit/refurbish plan to the OB. The plan, which is still requires Mayoral approval, calls for structural improvements, widening of concourses, new JumboTron, addition of seatbacked chairs, etc....

UM has agreed to provide some funding to the project, but the majority of the funding will originate from a naming rights deal and CITY SPONSORED FUNDING, such as bonds, possible tourism-related tax hikes, etc....

I'm glad that a munincipal organization down there wanted to help foot the bill, I love 'Canes football as much as the next SoFLa guy and believe UM is a very positive aspect of the Miami area in general....But a few points I don't understand in relation to the Marlins' pursuit of munincipal funds.

1) How many events does the OB hold every year, 10, maybe 20? Whatever it is I'm sure it isn't anywhere near 82, and that's just for baseball.

2) Isn't UM located in Coral Gables? Granted, I'm all for munincipal reciprocity and all that, but the fact that UM isn't in the city. And the county has nothing to do with this deal.

3) UM isn't a state school.

4)UM has a very high percentage of out of state students (and subsequently graduates). I would even guess that the largest College Alumni population in Miami-Dade isn't even from UM. This makes me wonder why funding was sooo easy to get, especially in the face of the Marlins' stadium quagmire.

Now, I know the Marlins went after MDC for money, not the city, but still. I cannot draw an equal comparison between going in on a MLB (and possibly multi-purpose)
domed stadium and an old, open air, single purpose stadium, with far fewer revenue generating events, for a college sport that's popularity is cyclical.

I sure hope the Powers to be in the Marlins aren't off appraising Picassos and Riveras and kept an eye on this development.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
2) Isn't UM located in Coral Gables? Granted, I'm all for munincipal reciprocity and all that, but the fact that UM isn't in the city. And the county has nothing to do with this deal.
My sister goes there.

Yes, the actual college and dorms themselves are in Coral Gablers, but the Orange Bowl is actually in the city. Don't ask me why, but the school is in CG and the stadium in Miami.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I went to school at UM. OB was built waaay back in 1937. The stadium's in Miami, but it's really not that far away from Coral Gables.

4)UM has a very high percentage of out of state students (and subsequently graduates). I would even guess that the largest College Alumni population in Miami-Dade isn't even from UM.

correct. FIU has about twice the enrollment of UM and has much bigger alumni population. It's not that surprising for a private school though.

Top Bottom