What's new

Our OF situation and a random idea

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
We know this about our OF:

1. Willingham is a stud
2. Hermida is out until at least May. Can he remain healthy? *
3. De Aza looks promising but what can we realistically expect throughout the whole course of the season?
4. Offensive and defensive production from Borchard/Ross is cloudy at best.

* If still love the kid and think he can be awesome this year but can we count on it?

Reggie Sanders - I know the guy is 39. But you can pretty much count on consistent production from him, something I would take in a heartbeat in RF when Willingham is the only member of the OF we can realistically rely on this year. And from reading the reports, KC is willing to eat most of the $5 mil that is owed to him. I just think it'd be a wise decision all around and would be a great addition to the team... and makes me wish we still had Petit to offer up in exchange.

Thoughts? I know adding a RF hasn't been on the forefront of many peoples minds.

Libelula

Muckdog
Reaction score
The last line in your post pretty much sums it up.

And I'd like to stay away from any outfielder named Reggie for a long time.

ultimopain

Muckdog
Reaction score
It won't happen ... but it's not the worst idea ever.

Plus, there's always Rule #409385893895 in the Baseball Handbook that we could use to our advantage: Any team not named the Kansas City Royals that has Reggie Sanders on its roster is more than likely headed to the postseason. :mischief

fanfish

Muckdog
Reaction score
De Aza looks good so far. He may indeed be the real thing.
Hermida has to be given a real shot to prove he's the player everyone thought he would be. He'll be be back late April or early May.
Willingham is off to a great start.

I wouldn't mess with the out field right now.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's ironic in another thread I had something of the same idea (I decided not to post after thinking about it) but at Reggie's age and his cost, better to consider acquiring a Reggie Sanders-type player than the guy himself.

I have nothing against Borchard or Ross per se, they aren't malcontents or lazy, they play to their abilities, but hopefully Beinfest and company are searching to find a plan B should Hermida's reclamation take longer than thought or ever comes to pass.

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
I like the make-up of the outfield for the time being, Ross and Borchard are good back-ups and should screw things up too bad until Hermida gets healthy. But this might not be a bad idea come June and the Fish are playing .500 ball or better and Hermida isn't hitting.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
I love the projection of our OF. I really believe De Aza is the real thing, he has the ability and the skills that is for sure and also the confidence. Willy can hit with his eyes closed and one hand tied behind his back. Hermida can hit, field and throw. The ability is there but he has yet to be healthy. We have to see how he bounces back. I really like the kid. The backup OF is not bad if Cody can hit .250 or better he will be one of the best 4th OF in the majors, with his power and defensive ability, lets not forget his arm. JoBo plays all 3 positions and is a switchhitter. Not a bad picture the status of our OF right now

FlummoxedLummox

At this point, I am firmly of the belief that we cannot count on getting any amount of production from Hermida. Not because he doesn't have the talent, but because he's proven himself too delicate. Some people have all the mental and physical tools to be a great athlete, but are betrayed by their bodies. I'm becoming more and more fearful that this is and will continue to be the case with Jeremy. Accordingly, I agree that we should be investigating what short term options are available. What will it take to pick up a Reggie Sanders type player? Is there anybody else out there available?

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
At this point, I am firmly of the belief that we cannot count on getting any amount of production from Hermida. Not because he doesn't have the talent, but because he's proven himself too delicate. Some people have all the mental and physical tools to be a great athlete, but are betrayed by their bodies. I'm becoming more and more fearful that this is and will continue to be the case with Jeremy. Accordingly, I agree that we should be investigating what short term options are available. What will it take to pick up a Reggie Sanders type player? Is there anybody else out there available?
Your right, i just hope Hermida doesnt turn into a Ryan Church. :whistle

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Unfortunately,

It seems that age finally has caught up to Reggie.

FishFanInPA

Unfortunately,

Really??? Sanders went 3 for 4 yesterday in his first game this season.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't know about Reggie Sanders, but I'd certainly like to acquire another outfielder whose more reliable.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Unfortunately,

Really??? Sanders went 3 for 4 yesterday in his first game this season.
The guy can still contribute if he's healthy. Last year was his first unproductive, injury plagued year but still had 11 HR in 300 AB. The year before had 21 HR in 300 AB. In '04, had a 20-20 season.

I know he's 39 but he can still be productive, ala Niner. From reading about their trade talks with baltimore, KC was willing to eat most the salary, so i'm guessing 3+ mil of the 5 owed to him in exchange for a decent 26 y/o pitching prospect. I'm sure we could work something out.

If anything, he's insurance for Hermida and he takes Ross' spot on the team when Jeremy gets back. He immediately steps in as our RFer and provides a much better presence in the 6 hole than anything we currently have. Ramirez, Uggla, Cabs, Jake, Willy, Sanders, Olivo, De Aza. I'd be all for it if it doesnt cost us much.

If he starts hitting and proves healthy, teams will start calling. I hope we atleast explore it.

Top Bottom