What's new

Panthers release Keyshawn

Panthers release receiver Keyshawn Johnson

The Carolina Panthers have released veteran wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson.

Keep checking Charlotte.com for more details on this breaking story.

All there is right now.

link

---------------------
Anyhow, Steve Smith is Steve Smith, so no issue there. They must be expecting big things from rookies Dwayne Jarrett and Ryne Robinson, must be hoping Carter continues to improve, and must be hoping that Colbert has a big bounce back year(which I think he will).

Weird news, especially since Keyshawn was in the FO's ears telling them to draft Jarrett. Who would of thunk it might of cost him his job?

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I could def. see him coming back at a cheaper price, he seemed to really want to be in Carolina from the sounds of the draft.

He also talked about leaving after this season too, however.

He also threated to leave if Dan Henning(OC) was let go.

From panthers.com

The Carolina Panthers have released wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson, the team announced Tuesday.

Johnson spent one season with the Panthers after playing with the New York Jets,
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Dallas Cowboys.

"We appreciated the contribution of Keyshawn in his season with the Panthers," said head coach John Fox. "He brought us high production, but at this time, we are in a situation in which we have a number of young receivers and thought this was the right time to make the decision."

"Keyshawn brought what we knew he would when we signed him, and we wish him the very best," saaid general manager Marty Hurney.

The 36-year old Johnson has played 11 seasons in the NFL and ranks in a 15th place tie in career receiving with 814 catches for 10,571 yards and 64 touchdowns. He had 70 receptions for 815 yards and four touchdowns last season for the Panthers.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I could think of worse things to have than a solid possession receiver.

I could think of worse things to have than a solid possession receiver.

He dropped alot of passes, is slow, contributed to the Panthers being awful at converting 3rd downs, sucked in the redzone(which is what he was brought in for), and has an awful attitude.

Hes not really solid any more and is quite overpaid.

Most of his yardage came from short 5-7 yard routes across the middle when no one touched him...anything longer or with coverage and he was basically useless. His route running really seems to have deteriorated as well.

I'll take Dwayne Jarrett thankyou, and hope that Colbert shows what he is capable of like he did his rookie year.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would love to have him back on the jets. I mean he wouldn't be need to be a #1 or #2 reciever. I would release Justin McCariens and sign keyshawn in a second to be the #3 reciever on the team.

He still had 70 catches for over 800 yards.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
MeShawn was actually surprisingly pretty solid as a commentator during the draft and I think he would be better in the Michael Irvin Sunday morning show as well. He will more than likely nab that role if no one picks him up.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
MeShawn was actually surprisingly pretty solid as a commentator during the draft and I think he would be better in the Michael Irving Sunday morning show as well. He will more than likely nab that role if no one picks him up.

I bet there are a lot of teams that want to pick him up. It probably depends on the price.

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
A decent analyst from what I saw in ESPN's NFL Draft telecast. Way better than Tiki. He'll be 35 when the season starts, he should cash in for this season and retire afterwards.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
MeShawn was actually surprisingly pretty solid as a commentator during the draft and I think he would be better in the Michael Irvin Sunday morning show as well. He will more than likely nab that role if no one picks him up.
Yep, I was definatley surprised with how well he did. He did a real solid job.

He's still a dick.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
I say the Phins take a gamble and offer him the league minimum. We could use him, especially with Welker gone, Booker on the block, and Ginn out for who knows how long.

FishFanInPA

I say the Phins take a gamble and offer him the league minimum. We could use him, especially with Welker gone, Booker on the block, and Ginn out for who knows how long.

he'll get more then the league minimum

Keyshawn Johnson might have to put his television career on hold. Word is there might be a pretty good market for him. The Eagles, Chargers, Giants and Titans are rumored to be among the teams that are at least thinking about pursuing Johnson.

Fisher: 'mutual interest' between Titans and Keyshawn
ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 17, 2007, 5:00 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans need an experienced receiver to help Vince Young and said Thursday they are interested in Keyshawn Johnson. But the veteran has made it clear he has no intention of being a cheap rental.

"There's mutual interest I'd say right now," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I think we'll probably look into the possibility of pursuing things. Where that goes, I can't tell you."

Keyshawn Johnson

Wide Receiver
Carolina Panthers

2006 Season Stats Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
70 815 4 11.6 40 220

If the Titans go down that road, Johnson told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley, he's looking for a commitment beyond just the 2007 season and that it would have to make financial sense to him. Johnson was en route to Nashville on Thursday and plans to meet with the Titans on Friday, ESPN's Michael Smith reports.

"I'm not in rental mode. You're not going to rent me for six months because someone with my career warrants more than that," Johnson said Thursday. "I just laugh when I read that stuff. All those editors should save their ink for another day. I keep seeing people say that I'm going to sit around and wait for a receiver to get hurt in training camp.

"I don't need to do that. I'm not playing for $750,000, $850,000, $1 million or $2.5 million. You can write that down."

The Carolina Panthers released Johnson, who turns 35 in July, earlier this month after drafting Dwayne Jarrett. He had 70 catches for 815 yards and four touchdowns last season and became the 16th player in NFL history with 800 career catches.

His 70 catches for 2006 easily tops the receptions of all the receivers currently on the Titans' roster who played in the NFL last year.

Johnson's relationship with Fisher goes back to Southern California, when the coach played for the Trojans and Johnson was a ball boy.

"I know Jeff, but I don't know the organization and I don't know the makeup of the team and the coaching staff," Johnson told The Associated Press. "I know a little bit about Norm Chow. I know Norm from college. At the same time, I want to make sure everything's the right fit.

"I was in a situation last year I thought was the right situation, and wind up a year later going in another direction. I want to make sure it's something everybody is committed to for the next couple of years. They're committed to me, and I'm committed to them, whoever it is I go play for.''

Center Kevin Mawae, who played with Johnson when both were with the New York Jets, said he wasn't sure if Johnson's personality -- which earned him the nickname "Me-Shawn" -- would click with the young Titans.

"One thing I do know about Keyshawn, he's absolutely an incredible athlete and a wonderful receiver. The guy works harder than most guys in this league," Mawae said. "He plays hard and he practices hard. That's the kind of guy you need in this locker room."

David Givens is the Titans' only receiver with more than five seasons in the NFL and the only one with more than 65 career catches (166). But he had a second surgery on his left knee seven weeks ago and isn't expected to be ready for the start of the season.

The Titans' receivers include Justin Gage, a four-year veteran signed as a free agent who has 64 career catches; a trio of players drafted in 2005 led by Brandon Jones with 27 catches in 2006; and another trio of draft picks last month -- none taken before the third round.

Compare that to the 6-foot-4 Johnson, who was the No. 1 pick in the 1996 draft. He spent last season with Carolina after being released by the Dallas Cowboys to free up enough salary cap space to sign Terrell Owens.

Johnson said last year he wants to play a couple of more seasons to reach 1,000 career receptions. But productivity has never been his problem.

He clashed with Jets teammates and wrote the book "Just Give Me the Damn Ball" after his rookie season.

Mawae was a teammate in New York in 1998 and 1999 and still remembers Johnson's feud with fellow receiver Wayne Chrebet.

"I'd like to think everybody has matured since then. I know Keyshawn's a great player, and that's ultimately what you need in this locker room -- a great player and a guy who comes in and works hard with a great ethic," Mawae said.

Johnson helped Tampa Bay win a Super Bowl in 2002, only to be deactivated for the final six games the next season after feuding with coach Jon Gruden.

Meshawn still thinks he is better than he really is.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
when he first got released I thought (besides the jets) that the titans would be the team for him. The titans lost their leading rusher and top two recievers and didnt replace any of them. I think he would be a nice addition to their team.

Top Bottom