What's new

Past Marlins management explains trades that cost five skilled young pitchers

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I do have to say that, as much as the previous ownership is criticized for those disastrous trades, Samson does have a major point in that they were never trying to have the best farm system and they were always going for it which does explain why they kept doing this.

Unfortunately the trades were bad and they just ended up being a water-treading underachieving team but the intent was clearly to go for it every year even when it probably wasn't gonna work out anyways. 

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
Man I'm really glad absolutely no one from the previous regime is still in power with the team now

taiwanmarlin

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Lol, they make mistakes to trade for Benedict and that guy continues to make mistakes to make bad trades, lol.

Reaction score
Man I'm really glad absolutely no one from the previous regime is still in power with the team now
I'm guessing this is a dig at Michael Hill, but the article definitely makes it sounds like other voices were drowning him out and Loria was ultimately making the final calls on everything. Either way, very interesting insight into a pretty important time in team history.

THRILLHO

Wichita TBA
Reaction score
@el_gmac nailed it.  I don’t need to hear from Samson anymore.  I liked the access he gave before Loria cut his media appearances.  I enjoyed getting a peak behind the curtain after his gag order expired.  But I’m done with it now.  The front office is turned over besides Hill.  Sherman stays out of it.  The Top prospects have mostly been acquisitions by the new group.  I don’t hate myself enough to revisit over and over why the team thought Castillo was a reliever, why they wanted Mat Latos, and on and on 

Even the 2020 Wei Yin Chen farewell tour will be anti climactic because really I think that his suck has been pretty well flushed out over the course of his stay here 

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
So you're telling me that those five young pitchers weren't traded away by Derek Jeter himself? 

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
What a sick system. This article reminds me of miserable past again. I just wanna erase our old features. Also, I didn't have any idea on the homer sculpture who was introduced by Loria, but re-locating it outside of park, that was so nice decision. as well as getting rid of the old creepy M logo, too.

Mr. Man

LumberKing
Reaction score
What is there to say, I hate the whole dynamics of that situation. And that's another reason why I'm glad we moved on from it. This franchise wasn't going to succeed with that type of leadership.
And I find it funny that they were trying to win at the major league, not concerning themselves about having a good farm system. Because a good farm system helps you win the major league level.
I don't mind you going against the grain a little bit, like not having a good farm system on purpose. But you have to be prepared for extra criticism if it goes off the rails.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I mean, to be fair, some teams have been successful with a go all in plan and not much of a farm behind them (the 97 Marlins maybe?)... it's just that Loria's group did it all wrong. Looking back, with Loria on the way out, I guess I can sorta kinda see why he would try to force one last great Marlins team even if he did a horrible job doing it. Loria was on the way out he had zero interest in a slowly built long term contender.

cyoung

LumberKing
Reaction score
This pretty much says everything we need to know:

"...Jeffrey didn’t care to have a highly ranked farm system. We wanted to win at the major league level.”

Second, this guy is great at blaming everyone else for their failures. You're responsible for the actions of those that you employ. The fault lies with Loria & Samson in every situation.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
This pretty much says everything we need to know:

"...Jeffrey didn’t care to have a highly ranked farm system. We wanted to win at the major league level.”
It's funny because many (especially fans) will tell you that that's the way an MLB team should be run anyways... always going for it and not tanking, trying to save money, and/or winning the farm system rankings.

And there probably is a fine line where that sure does seem like the "right answer."

Ask Mets fans I guess.

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
It's funny because many (especially fans) will tell you that that's the way an MLB team should be run anyways... always going for it and not tanking, trying to save money, and/or winning the farm system rankings.

And there probably is a fine line where that sure does seem like the "right answer."

Ask Mets fans I guess.
I'd love it if we could always go for it and not have to worry about the farm system, but zero harm in having a great Major League team with a top tier farm system.

cyoung

LumberKing
Reaction score

Ask Mets fans I guess.
His issue is that he wasn't playing with the Yankee's budget. If you can buy your teams in free agency, sure, who cares about the farm system. If you're near the bottom in payroll, and still broke, you better know how to build from the ground up.
He may have a little bit of money, but he knows nothing about sustainable & repeatable growth.

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
His issue is that he wasn't playing with the Yankee's budget. If you can buy your teams in free agency, sure, who cares about the farm system. If you're near the bottom in payroll, and still broke, you better know how to build from the ground up.
He may have a little bit of money, but he knows nothing about sustainable & repeatable growth.
Even the Yankees have prioritized a good farm system. Some of their better players right now, Judge, Andujar, Torres, etc. came up in their system in the past few years. You want an example of a high spending team that has ignored their farm look no further than Boston. Sure they win every few years, but they have had some pretty bad years in between. The Yankees have been more consistent year in an year out the past 10 or so year.

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Even the Yankees have prioritized a good farm system. Some of their better players right now, Judge, Andujar, Torres, etc. came up in their system in the past few years. You want an example of a high spending team that has ignored their farm look no further than Boston. Sure they win every few years, but they have had some pretty bad years in between. The Yankees have been more consistent year in an year out the past 10 or so year.
Well. Boston did bring in Dombrowski who is known for trading from prospects for the MLB team.