What's new

Pavano Savors Complete Game

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Since yall say that there are no positive articles on the Marlins nor about what's going on with the team....

I encouage all of you who send your email's blasting writers when you disagree with their views to do the same when you like what a writer writes about.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...8fa11c1010.html

Pavano savors complete game

By Tom D'Angelo, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Carl Pavano remembered the site and the opponent. But when pressed for more details about the only other complete game of his major-league career, the Marlins' right-hander was stumped.

"It was a good game, I guess," he said.

That game -- June 13, 1999, in Montreal against Tampa Bay -- could not have been much better than Monday's 5-1 masterpiece against the Expos, a game that Pavano called the most efficient of his career.

Pavano allowed five hits, struck out five and did not issue a walk in his 92-pitch performance against his former team. After Vladimir Guerrero's first-inning double scored Orlando Cabrera, three Expos reached on singles, just one advancing to second base.

"That must be what it's like playing behind (Greg) Maddux in his day," left fielder Brian Banks said.

The last runner to reach, Jose Vidro, was erased on a game-ending double play. As first baseman Derrek Lee took shortstop Alex Gonzalez's throw, Pavano punched his fist into the air, catcher Mike Redmond held his fist above his head and Lee tossed Pavano the ball.

"He's such a smart pitcher, he hardly makes mistakes," manager Jack McKeon said. "He made a few that first inning but you keep your mistakes to a minimum and he's doing that pretty good."

The game lasted 2 hours, 3 minutes, a season low for the Marlins. And that wasn't the only season low. The Memorial Day crowd of 8,362 was the smallest at Pro Player Stadium this season.

The complete game was the second of the season for the Marlins, who have won four in a row after losing six straight.

"I look back at my career and my pitch count in the sixth, seventh or eighth inning is usually over 100," said Pavano (4-5, 3.63 ERA). "The key is to get ahead and try to expand the zone when you have a chance."

Five days ago, Pavano held the Expos hitless for three innings before allowing seven hits and five runs in the next two innings. But Montreal manager Frank Robinson seems only to remember the first three innings of that 7-2 Expos victory.

"He throws like Cy Young against us," Robinson said.

Most of Pavano's help came mostly from two swings, both resulting in two-run home runs. Banks, filling in for the injured Todd Hollandsworth, hit his fourth in the second inning to give Florida a 3-1 lead. Juan Encarnacion added his seventh in the fourth inning.

Banks started for the fourth straight game, and although Hollandsworth has recovered from his hamstring strain and told McKeon he's ready, McKeon will field the same lineup tonight.

"I'm a little bit superstitious, but I'm also going to ride the hot guys," McKeon said.

Banks is 5-for-11 during the winning streak, with two home runs, and has 14 RBI in 58 at-bats -- two more than Hollandsworth, who has 68 more at-bats than Banks.

"All I'm trying to do is take advantage of the time I'm given," Banks said. "How much longer that time will be, who knows."

Pavano was able to shake off a slightly sprained right ankle, which occurred in the sixth inning as he was getting out of the way of Mike Lowell's throw to first base.

"With my elephant feet, it's hard to get out of the way," Pavano said.

Pavano took no satisfaction from beating the team that traded him in July. He was part of the eight-player deal that send Cliff Floyd to Montreal.

"It's always sweet to get a win, whatever team is out there," Pavano said. "Every team is the enemy."

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I Hope Banks is still in the Lineup and Producing like he has been doing. He is on fire but eventualy Hollandsworth will stay in there....

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I will give a plug for the Palm Beach Post here. That paper doesn't get the notice of the Sun-Sentinel or the Herald, but as far as Marlins coverage, they're very good and as you saw here there's actually some positive articles!

Particularly during spring training I though they had some great articles.

Top Bottom