What's new

Penny an 20 Game winner

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
He has the potential to be one. He is a smart pitcher and can throw strikes in an out....read this article.

Notes: Can Penny win 20?
McKeon likes right-hander's chances
By Abe Winter / MLB.com

Marlins manager Jack McKeon feels Brad Penny has the potential to win 20 games. (Alan Diaz/AP)

MILWAUKEE -- Brad Penny went into the 2003 season with 26 victories in his three years in the Major Leagues. Florida manager Jack McKeon wouldn't be surprised if Penny won that many in one season. Well, maybe not 26, but certainly 20.
"He's a potential 20-game winner," McKeon said. "He has the stuff. He just has to put it all together."

First-year Florida catcher Ivan Rodriguez agrees.

"He's a great pitcher," the former Texas All-Star said. "He's a hard thrower and has a good breaking ball. He's young and he's still learning how to pitch. When he learns a little more, he'll be even better."

His forte?

"He throws strikes with his breaking ball and his fastball is in and out," Rodriguez said. "When he's on, he's very tough to hit."

Penny, who is 4-4 with a 3.74 ERA, wasn't at his best Sunday when he let a 5-1 lead evaporate and turn into an 8-5 loss to Anaheim. His next start will be Friday night in Texas, and he will take the mound shortly after the Rangers pay tribute to Ivan Rodriguez.

Overall, McKeon likes what he's seen from Penny in the month he's been managing the team.

"He's done a good job since I've been here," he said. "Sunday was the poorest game he's pitched."

But he's seen enough to think Penny will be a fixture for a long time.

"I would think so," McKeon said. "He's a bulldog, a horse. He has good stuff but like all young guys there's room for improvement."

Link

LiLLaz#8

The way he is doing right now he can't even get 10 wins!

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
What you talking abaout?He has been pitching well except for the last game.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
They arent talking about this Season but maybe in 2 or 3 years he could be a 20-game winner. He has the Stuff to be one he just has to learn a little bit more.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
but he hasnt been pitching good
Wow someone woke up from a coma missing The Entire season except for his last start...

Dude one start does not ruin a pitcher...

BTW how much did you spend for what your smoking... I could use a good deal

LiLLaz#8

Penny right now is 4-4 with a e.r.a. of 3.74,so he's not so bad after all he's pretty good.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
-^-He has more than one bad start!
No he doesnt. He has lossed alot of 1 or 2 run games because our lack of hitting in RISP....

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Penny has been one of the more consistent pitchers on this team if not the most consistent throughout the year.

Bad starts happen to every pitcher, ace or scrub.

I expect Penny to turn it around and perform much better his next time out.

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
Penny has been one of the more consistent pitchers on this team if not the most consistent throughout the year.

Bad starts happen to every pitcher, ace or scrub.

I expect Penny to turn it around and perform much better his next time out.
Who is this man? Who took over Das' account and posted something positive. I actually agree with this assesment.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Crap.

I forgot I am Mr. Negativity.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Brad Penny has the potential to win 20 games.

Potential. Yes, Pontential. But so What? I mean every young player has pontential is just up to that specific player to reach that pontential let's just hope penny works hard and gets where he's suppose to be.

markotsay7

Right, and he very well could. He also very well couldn't. Remember all the "potential" Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor had...

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yes but it does not matter. If Penny works hard and learns from his mistakes, like the ones he did on his last outing, he could be a 20 game winner someday.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
You all are out to lunch.

1) He's 4-4 this season , not really a great indicator that he can win 20.

2) He has an ERA over 4 in the National League.

3) He's 30-28 lifetime. Once again, not what I would call a great indicator.

We've been down this road before. Van Poppel, Taylor, Dempster, etc.... For some reason they never fully mature into great pitchers. Some turn out to be above average, some below, but none of them great.

After 90 career starts, I don't wanna hear about "potential". We have plenty of pitching in the minors with "potential." Why, after 90 starts, hasn't he developed an out pitch, why is he still prone to fits of wildness, why does he still think he can overpower hitters all the time, why doesn't he cover first base... Why are his numbers getting worse this year rather than better?

Penny is a #3 or #4, maybe a two on a pitching-starved team.

I really think that all the praise gets to their heads. That is the one thing that seperates the D-Train from the rest of them....He's still humble and listens to advice and critcism.

dawg31

Muckdog
Reaction score
You have the right to be wrong.

His era is 3.74. Where I come from, that is not over 4.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
You have the right to be wrong.

His era is 3.74. Where I come from, that is not over 4.
yea.

but he said in the NL....

Top Bottom