What's new

Penny Questions McKeon

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Brad was mad at the manager for taking him out too early. i think Jack did he right thing.He couldnt leave penny so he can get racked again!

Penny questions McKeon

By Tom D'Angelo, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 9, 2003

Jack McKeon was questioned by one of his players Sunday for the first time since he took over the team.

Judging by McKeon's reaction, it may be the last time the Marlins' manager is second-guessed.

Starting pitcher Brad Penny was unhappy he was lifted after just 4 2/3 innings of the Angels' 8-5 victory against Florida at Pro Player Stadium on Sunday. Penny had allowed six runs (four earned) and believed he deserved the chance to pitch out of a fifth-inning jam.

McKeon strongly disagreed.

"He wanted to stayed in a little bit longer? Well, he had a (four)-run lead, he could have stayed in a whole lot longer if he would have got them out,'' McKeon said. "I went probably too long with him as it was.

"We're in the business to win games, we're not in the business to pacify everybody. The score of the game and how you're pitching dictates whether you stay in or you're taken out of the game.

"I gave him every chance in the world to get out of that jam. You have a four-run lead and you give up five runs and have them take the lead, that's enough.''

Penny was staked to a 5-1 lead, thanks to Juan Encarnacion's third-inning three-run home run. But Anaheim chipped way with two runs in the fourth on a Brad Fullmer triple and three in the fifth before Penny was removed after having thrown 71 pitches.

"I think they kind of jumped the gun a little bit in getting me out of there,'' Penny said. "One mistake and an error killed me. I get one guy on base, and then the bullpen is up.... If they're going to do that, I don't know why they send me back out there for that inning.''

Penny contributed to the rally by failing to cover first base on a ball that Derrek Lee bobbled. Realizing it was too late to beat the runner to first, Lee then looked for Penny, who was on the infield grass.

Lee's error, his third of the season and first since May 4, was followed by a single, sacrifice fly and Garret Anderson's single that scored the go-ahead run and ended Penny's day. Two of the runs were unearned.

"Let's face it, he helped himself get out of the game,'' McKeon said. "We talk about pitchers being able to bunt, being able to hit, being able to field the position, hold the runners on base and you can stay in the game longer. And if you don't do those things, you're not around.

"That meant two runs, so he's still in the game.''

Said Penny: "I just hesitated. I thought he had the play, and then he bobbled it.''

Catcher Mike Redmond said Penny's pitches were starting to rise.

"He was getting the ball up, especially his breaking ball,'' Redmond said.

Anderson's single was on a high breaking ball.

Michael Tejera did his job, holding the Angels hitless for 2 1/3 innings before Tim Spooneybarger allowed two runs in the eighth. But the Marlins could not overcome the one-run deficit in the middle innings, which allowed the Angels to win 2-of-3 in the series.

Florida finished with six hits, but just two singles in the final 6 1/3 innings following Encarnacion's home run.

"We just closed up shop,'' McKeon said. "If you want to be a winning team, you get a four-run lead, you close them out. And then if you get behind by one run, you've got to plug away. You get five runs off a guy and then quit? You can't do it, you've got to battle.

"We've had too many of those days. I'm getting tired of it. You're getting paid a good salary, let's go out there and put some numbers on the board as a team.''

Link

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Penny questions McKeon

By Tom D'Angelo, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 9, 2003

Jack McKeon was questioned by one of his players Sunday for the first time since he took over the team.

Judging by McKeon's reaction, it may be the last time the Marlins' manager is second-guessed.

Wasn't Spoony quoted a few weeks ago as saying he thought McKeon used him too much and for too many innings at once?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
There was a stretch in May where he used Spooney three nights in a row, and then a week later used him two nights in a row. I'm sure that's when he remarked his arm was getting a little tired.

I like McKeon's reaction to Penny though. Quit whining, you got handed a 5-1 lead and threw it in the toilet. He's not going to take any crap or coddle these players, which could be argued is what Torborg tended to do.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I agree.

Too much coddling is done in baseball across the board.

McKeon is looking to win, nothing else.

If it means making a player unhappy for a night or two....so be it.

If it means a winning record, I will take it.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm glad Jack isnt taking any crap from some of these cry babies, although the Pudge situation still bothers me. He should be hitting 5th or 6th.

Top Bottom