What's new

People in Gainesville

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
Everyday I get stuck at stop signs behind a car for 40 seconds until I drive on half of the median to go around them. It's like drivers dont feel that they can continue until the sign says go. Granted, people really cant drive anywhere, but its extra annoying here. I've never seen so many people stop at green lights also.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gainesville has actually made me miss South Florida driving. The traffic here is also horrendous, especially when you spend about 45 minutes on Archer going 3 miles.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Try South Beach. People either drive 20 miles below the speed limit (gawking tourists) or 20 miles over (locals, like myself, recklessly trying to maneuver around said tourists so we can get about our daily lives). And now that it's Spring Break it's seriously been enough to deter me from leaving my apartment on a couple of occasions.

Lee

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't really think the drivers are any worse here than they are anywhere else I've experienced. As for traffic, Gainesville traffic isn't nearly as bad as traffic in Coral Springs, unless you're on Archer, 34th or Newberry at rush hour. Overall I find it very easy to get around if I stick to smaller roads.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
South Florida driving is exponentially worse than my limited experiences with Gainesville. The problem with Gainesville is that there are too damn many people for a small area (and a poor traffic flow system). The problem with South Florida is the drivers. Huge difference there.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I used to defend South Florida drivers, but two years of living down here has made me a very impatient and aggressive driver, even when I'm no longer driving around South Beach. Every time my parents come down here to go out for dinner, my dad picks me up and we drive like 10 blocks at most, and every time he complains about the drivers.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
Williston is pretty ridiculous around rush hour too, but I dont understand why. Where is everyone going? If Im crossing town I try to stick to 8th, its not bad unless youre passing through the school zone. People also walk in the street without looking or waving if you let them go too much, causing me to nearly run over way too many people.

Lee

Muckdog
Reaction score
Everyone on Williston at rush hour is going to I-75. Williston gets bad but not nearly as bad as Archer or Newberry because it has only two traffic lights between 13th and I-75, and neither of them are at a major intersection.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Try Tennessee Street near FSU. Not only do you have people in their cars, but you have buses stopping, pedestrians crossing, and people looking for parking.

Hooray for traffic!

markotsay7

Gainesville has actually made me miss South Florida driving. The traffic here is also horrendous, especially when you spend about 45 minutes on Archer going 3 miles.
Gainesville is awful for driving. I don't take Archer or University, or 34th for that matter, when I can help it. In fact I'd rather do 20 on campus. Also the best shortcuts are 42nd St., 20th Ave., and 62nd Blvd. 42nd runs behind Target at Butler all the way to 20th. If you go east on 20th it runs to 34th by Kash and Karry. If you go west, you can take it to 62nd and go north, which takes you to Oaks Mall and Newberry Road.

I live south of Archer and when I need to get to 13th Street or Main I take Williston to either one. Much quicker.

FlummoxedLummox

I lived in Gainesville for 4 years until I moved last year. The driving there is no different or worse than anywhere else. The traffic on Archer and University/Newberry is bad because the city hadn't planned on how quickly the town would grow in the last few years. If you're stuck behind a bad driver, it's probably because he/she is high. And that's not a joke at all.

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not only do you have people in their cars, but you have buses stopping, pedestrians crossing, and people looking for parking.

That just sounds like a normal street in any relatively busy city.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
There is traffic anywhere you go in any metropolitan area.

If you dont like it, might as well just move to Asia or something.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not only do you have people in their cars, but you have buses stopping, pedestrians crossing, and people looking for parking.

That just sounds like a normal street in any relatively busy city.
Except it seems like the pedestrians (aka jaywalkers) like to play Frogger with themselves.

Plus, Tennessee Street also has the wonderful rolling hills Tallahassee is known for. The ladies and gents with lower clearance vehicles may find themselves scraping or bottoming out in an intersection on this busy artery.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Try South Beach. People either drive 20 miles below the speed limit (gawking tourists) or 20 miles over (locals, like myself, recklessly trying to maneuver around said tourists so we can get about our daily lives). And now that it's Spring Break it's seriously been enough to deter me from leaving my apartment on a couple of occasions.

I was down there last night for WMC and saw the most maniacal driving of my life.

I was suprised I made it home alive.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score

I was down there last night for WMC and saw the most maniacal driving of my life.

I was suprised I made it home alive.

What did you see last night?

I'm going to check out Justice/Digitalism tomorrow night at Studio A.

Mark

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gainesville is awful for driving. I don't take Archer or University, or 34th for that matter, when I can help it. In fact I'd rather do 20 on campus. Also the best shortcuts are 42nd St., 20th Ave., and 62nd Blvd. 42nd runs behind Target at Butler all the way to 20th. If you go east on 20th it runs to 34th by Kash and Karry. If you go west, you can take it to 62nd and go north, which takes you to Oaks Mall and Newberry Road.

I live south of Archer and when I need to get to 13th Street or Main I take Williston to either one. Much quicker.

I f***ing hate 20th and 62nd. 2 lanes and you always get behind busses. The only problem is those are better options than the cluttered main roads.

If you guys want a good back road, try sixth street instead of 34th or 13th during rush hour. Never go west on Williston, Archer or Newberry during rush hour.

Gainesville just has too many people in a small space. And the roads were made for a smaller community and not equipped for the traffic a college brings.

chickenman04

Muckdog
Reaction score
most people in Gainesville go to UF, so they're just plain retarded anyway.

Top Bottom