What's new

Pete Gammons notes

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
*The Marlins are telling teams that they will wait until July, then make their trade decisions on Castillo, Mike Lowell, Derrek Lee, et al. The Cubs still believe they will in the end get Lowell, but there are rumblings that if the Mariners could swallow the $14 million Jeff Cirillo has coming in 2004-2005, they could get in on Florida's All-Star third baseman.

by the way.....

*Florida's Double-A third base phenom Miguel Cabrera is now leading the Southern League in hits, slugging, doubles and RBI, while batting .366 with 10 homers.(OF Stephen Smitherman(REDS) leading HR 14)

*This is no knock at Derek Jeter, but Edgar Renteria may be a better player right now, at least in the regular season. It also might be unfair this season because of Jeter's shoulder. But Renteria and Rafael Furcal are star shortstops, and if infield coach Perry Hill can keep the Marlins' Alex Gonzalez focused, he can be as well.

I think A-Gon might already be there IMO...

* Luis Castillo again would sure look good leading off in Padreland.

*Or, if he wanted to see Reyes and the Marlins' Luis Castillo in the middle of the infield and at the top of the 2004 order, he could trade for Castillo in late July and get him signed.

...I think Castillo might be a hotter trade bait then Lowell

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1568328

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't get his last line.

Was he implying we might trade Luis for Jose Reyes?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't get his last line.

Was he implying we might trade Luis for Jose Reyes?
no, that the Mutts would trade for Luis

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, if he is traded to the Mets, I think Reyes would be in the deal...

I see the name Reyes in the line Pettie Gammons wrote, so I was thinking he is saying the Marlins would trade Luis for Reyes...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, if he is traded to the Mets, I think Reyes would be in the deal...

I see the name Reyes in the line Pettie Gammons wrote, so I was thinking he is saying the Marlins would trade Luis for Reyes...

Correct me if I'm wrong...
no, he is saying the Mutts would deal something for Castillo, sign him and have a Reyes-Luis duo up the middle at Shea for the next few years.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I see...

And what exactly would the Mutts offer?

There lies the problem...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I see...

And what exactly would the Mutts offer?

There lies the problem...
it would probably start with Kazmir...

it doesnt matter, i dont think the Mets are looking to add payroll :cool

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
It isn't like they can't, though...
Yea after Phillip's departure I'm sure their looking to follow in his foot steps. :rolleyes:

Also Reyes is an untouchable If you watch Sportscenter and BT they have been talking about him for two years now...

JMLinkinPark

Muckdog
Reaction score
If there were gonan be any offers from the Mets they will likely start with Scott Kazmir and Aaron Hielman.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
But in WC's book nobody is untouchable! j/k! :w00t

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
To get Castillo the mets would need to trade Alomar first.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
When are the Marlins going to learn to have some reservations about trading talent to teams that are theri rivals in the same division?

One of these times it's going to ocme back and haunt them.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree but with so much of it having to do with $$$ I can't blame then for trying to get the best deal regardless. It doesn't help when two or three(if you include the Phillies) big market clubs are in your division :confused

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well thats just gammons put in up rummors its not official or anything. I did not read the whole thing but I think h saying it would help the mets if they aquired Castillo.

Top Bottom