What's new

Pete Hernandez on Comcast re:Stadium

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
(note to mods - this brief program will only be on a few times today, I think alot of people may want to see it - feel free to move or delete this tomorrow)

Comcast broadcasts on the CNN Headline News channel (29 here) a local program featuring Spiro whatshisface.

Today's guest is ex-asst county manager and now City of Miami Manager Pete Hernandez (whose job it was to get the stench out of city hall once Joe Arriola departed) and the subject is the new ballpark downtown.

I'll let you hear it for yourself (unless someone knows how to find an online feed and can post it here) he is very very upbeat and talking like this is a done deal. They've been using the footprints of existing modern stadiums (Camden Yards was one mentioned, I forget the others) and he says triumphantly "they all fit".

I don't know the broadcast schedule (but it usually interrupts Glenn Beck around 7:25 - 7:35pm). Those interested might want to look out for it.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is this Comcast inserting the content at the :25 and :55 slots on CNN Headline News or is it WPLG?

TarHeel324

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll let you hear it for yourself (unless someone knows how to find an online feed and can post it here) he is very very upbeat and talking like this is a done deal. They've been using the footprints of existing modern stadiums (Camden Yards was one mentioned, I forget the others) and he says triumphantly "they all fit".
I've heard Samson say in a few past interviews that theyve used the footprint of Minute Maid Park to judge how big ours is gonna be

Everything lastely sounds very positive, lets pray this time we get the deal done

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is this Comcast inserting the content at the :25 and :55 slots on CNN Headline News or is it WPLG?

It's a Comcast produced local show. What if anything WPLG has to do with it I don't know.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
anyway someone can tape it and put it to youtube and post up or something? or a details of it for those of us that dont have comcast? :)

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not being in the same region, therefore not hearing as much news... can i actually get my hopes up?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not being in the same region, therefore not hearing as much news... can i actually get my hopes up?

uh huh :thumbup

DcFishFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
INCREDIBLE.

Could this finally be what we've been waiting for since 1998?

By the way, I just moved down from D.C. to Miami (making my handle inaccurate), and I just bought a set o' those weekend season tix. I am psyched!

:BananaLlama

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've heard Samson say in a few past interviews that theyve used the footprint of Minute Maid Park to judge how big ours is gonna be

Everything lastely sounds very positive, lets pray this time we get the deal done

Okay, kids, it's another installment of "SoFlaFish's Fun With Photoshop!"

This time around the pictures from the three cities (Miami, Houston, and Baltimore) are the same scale (500') and they're all from Google Maps/Earth.

Here is the site with what I assume to be the assembled parcels of land outlined in red:

Here is the site with a Minute Maid Park overlay:

Finally, here is an overlay of Camden Yards:

Either way, it's going to be a tight squeeze in there, no bones about it.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know very little about the Miami area, minus some of the burbs I've been around getting to the current stadium and the Keys. What is this new site going to do for transit times from Central Florida?

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know very little about the Miami area, minus some of the burbs I've been around getting to the current stadium and the Keys. What is this new site going to do for transit times from Central Florida?
just another 15-20 minutes down I-95

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd say you'd be driving for another 15 minutes.

There won't be any traffic at all heading south on I-95 before game time, but you won't have the convenience of hopping on the Turnpike from where you live and having it spit you out right at the stadium. Of course avoiding 70 miles' worth of tolls and hordes of FHP isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score

There won't be any traffic at all heading south on I-95 before game time, but you won't have the convenience of hopping on the Turnpike from where you live and having it spit you out right at the stadium. Of course avoiding 70 miles' worth of tolls and hordes of FHP isn't necessarily a bad thing...
If you put it that way...can;t argue with that! Less Smokeys and no Tolls, sold me on it! :thumbup

DcFishFan

Muckdog
Reaction score

Okay, kids, it's another installment of "SoFlaFish's Fun With Photoshop!"

This time around the pictures from the three cities (Miami, Houston, and Baltimore) are the same scale (500') and they're all from Google Maps/Earth.

Here is the site with what I assume to be the assembled parcels of land outlined in red:

Here is the site with a Minute Maid Park overlay:

Finally, here is an overlay of Camden Yards:

Either way, it's going to be a tight squeeze in there, no bones about it.

what really ticks me off is looking over at aaa (with the stupid airplane sillouhette) and thinking that there was PLENTY of space on that strip of waterfront property for a baseball stadium. is it too late to get the dalai lama to levitate the aaa over to the government center site so we can build a stadium on the water?

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
That Dalai Lama better not touch the AAA.

If you want to levitate anything out of there, it should be the Performing Arts Center.

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
There is more than enough land at Bicentenial Park, like 100 yards north of the AAA. That is where the stadium was going to be built when John Henry was ruining this franchise. About a million other groups claim to have better uses for that land, many of them must be politically powerful because it is never even brought up anymore. Other than closer to my house in boca, it would have been the best place to build it....great view, somewhat easy access in and out, would have created a nice entertainment district with the AAA (much like other cities such as cleveland and I think atlanta have)....

Anyway, just built the damn thing already. There has never been this many positive signs regarding the issue...mlb has to move to do this quickly.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

LOL Maybe in Miami the traffic isn't bad going south at that time. But taking I95 up here in that time frame heading either direction is a parking lot. Turnpike is the only route to take. Time it right and you don't hit much real heavy traffic until in Broward.
What would that exit be off I95? I'm gonna have to drive it one day this coming week at the appropriate time to feel it out before I pass judgement. But I have always been against a downtown site. I just see no sense in moving further away from the counties that have the most disposable income and are the fastest growing. And the maps with the overlays show no parking. Gonna throw mass transit in? Add another 30-45 minutes each way over your estimated 15 minutes to travel times. Not bad if you are retired but I doubt very much most bosses would understand his employees having to leave work at 3:00-3:30 every day to be able to make the games.

Top Bottom