What's new

Phillies fire Kapler

Valid

LumberKing
Reaction score
For what? Did they really think their roster was good enough to seriously contend in either of the last two years?

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Did they really think their roster was good enough to seriously contend in either of the last two years?
Actually yes they did.

Right or wrong they thought they could win and Kapler couldn't get it done while not exactly proving himself as being very good so it's no surprise he's gone.

It's been an uneasy feeling there since his first weeks as manager. I'm not sure if the fan base ever truly believed he was the right guy and I think this season the front office started having their doubts as well and so he's gone.

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
I'm not surprised they let him go. And regardless of anyone's feelings on the Phillies or Kapler, it's probably better for both of them - if they had kept him, there'd have again been a cloud over him, and he'd always be looking over his shoulder wondering when he'd be let go. Now they both get to move on and start new.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Kapler wants to manage in 2020, plenty of teams to interview with.

Valid

LumberKing
Reaction score
Actually yes they did.

Right or wrong they thought they could win and Kapler couldn't get it done while not exactly proving himself as being very good so it's no surprise he's gone.

It's been an uneasy feeling there since his first weeks as manager. I'm not sure if the fan base ever truly believed he was the right guy and I think this season the front office started having their doubts as well and so he's gone.
Seems symptomatic of an organizational problem more than anything else. That roster just isn't good and they've been bad for almost a decade now. They had far bigger issues than just Kapler. Managers can only do so much with a flawed roster. Their problems start at the top.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Seems symptomatic of an organizational problem more than anything else. That roster just isn't good and they've been bad for almost a decade now. They had far bigger issues than just Kapler. Managers can only do so much with a flawed roster. Their problems start at the top.
Classic case of a scapegoat here.
I agree it wasn't his fault that the roster was flawed but still, I don't think Kapler is a very good manager is my point. Plenty of bad teams have good managers. I feel like this was more like bad team and bad manager too so Kapler wore out his welcome very fast despite the flaws of the roster and thus he never earned his chance to stay longer.

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
It's stuff like this and comments from Dodgers fans on twitter calling for Dave Roberts to be fired that remind me that fans are never satisfied with their manager. Just about every complaint is about bullpen management just like with Mattingly. It just makes me more hesitant to want to get rid of him. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes with how pitchers feel. So many fans would manage so impulsively that it probably wouldn't work. You can't keep pulling pitchers after 3 pitches go bad and expect to win. Also, it's not like we have a ton of better options in the pen anyway. You can't avoid 5 guys in the pen all season and expect the other 2 or 3 to not have their arms fall off by season's end.

Ultimately I think that Mattingly's other traits are desirable in a manager and are enough of a reason to keep him until it comes to fruition. Don't keep him until you are good and throw him away. He has had enough of that. Despite all his years as a player and coach for the Yankees and Dodgers and he has still never had a taste of the World Series let alone winning one. Let's get him to the promise land. He deserves it.

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
Again Kapler can't do much without a pitching staff. He had crap to work with and crap he got. I'd love for us to pick him up in some capacity.

Fredi might interview with Philly. Please, Phillies, take him.