What's new

Philly Series

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
So while you all are still bickering about Julio, I thought it'd be time to be look ahead, you know, talk about the stuff that can be changed. Today starts a 3 day series against the 0-3 Phillies, who will hopefully continue their losing ways.

So we have a another classic Marlin/Philly. Here's you're pitching matchups:

Game 1: Jamie Moyer vs. Sergio Mitre
Game 2: Bretty Myers (0-0) vs. Dontrelle Willis (1-0)
Game 3: Zack Segovia vs. Scott Olsen (1-0)

I almost had to laugh when I learned the Sillies were seriously using Jamie Moyer as as starting pitcher. He's probably older than some of our hitters' fathers.
Anyways, I see this series 2-1 in favor of the Marlins.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
One of two things happen:

1) We sweep the Phillies; or
2) Win only one or two games because our bullpen blows it.

I think we have the pitching advantage in every game, except maybe Saturday's game. I think we have an advantage then, too, but when Bretty Myers is on he's really good.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope we can take 2 of 3. I don't think I've seen Segovia pitch before...(?)

Myers & Willis could be a pitcher's duel, hopefully we're still swinging the bats.

I say we'll win Games 1 & 3.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
It would be great to end the weekend 4-2, especially if we can secure victory tonight and Saturday.

I say that as much as a fan as from a marketing standpoint. Friday setting up Saturday as a weekly event for the season by some early season victories can have a big impact on weekend attendance and ultimately trickling down to improved attendance throughout the week.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score

I think we have the pitching advantage in every game, except maybe Saturday's game. I think we have an advantage then, too, but when Bretty Myers is on he's really good.

Brett Myers is gonna get rocked on saturday, book it. :cool

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score

You don't think we have the pitching advantage on saturday with Willis? :blink:

I think we do, but he's pretty good when he's on. He's had an ERA under 4 in each of his last two seasons, and he's got good stuff. All I am saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if he outdueled Dontrelle.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score

Mitre > Moyer? That's ridiculous. Can you explain why you think Mitre is better than Moyer?

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
The way he's been pitching and given that Moyer is 50 years old I think we have the advantage.

We can agree to disagree. I'm not going to get into an argument.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
The way he's been pitching and given that Moyer is 50 years old I think we have the advantage.

Moyer's age is irrelevant as long as he continues to perform well.

Are you one of those people that puts a lot of weight on ST stats? It seems to me that you are given that you're so high on Mitre based his ST.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dunno but if you ask Jimmy Rollins, they are the team to beat this weekend :lol

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dunno but if you ask Jimmy Rollins, they are the team to beat this weekend :lol
The Braves showed the Phillies certainly are a team to beat, a rather easy one to beat too.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score

Are you one of those people that puts a lot of weight on ST stats? It seems to me that you are given that you're so high on Mitre based his ST.

He started well last season, too. I just think he's got great stuff when he's on, but the main weakness in his career has been an inability to be consistent. This is probably because he's never really had a solid 3rd pitch, which by all accounts he has apparently gotten this season. So now he has a sinking fastball, a changeup, and a curve. That's pretty good.

Plus, if I am not mistaken, we shelled Moyer at least once last season.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score

He started well last season, too. I just think he's got great stuff when he's on, but the main weakness in his career has been an inability to be consistent. This is probably because he's never really had a solid 3rd pitch, which by all accounts he has apparently gotten this season. So now he has a sinking fastball, a changeup, and a curve. That's pretty good.

Plus, if I am not mistaken, we shelled Moyer at least once last season.
Mitre has a career ERA over 6.00 and Moyer went 3-0 vs us last year so frankly I have no idea where you're coming from other than you're exhibiting homerism to its worst degree.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
You need to chill out. Relax. I am working right now and I don't have time to sit here and research everything to death.

I still think we have the advantage today. It's not homerism, I just think this is the year Mitre steps it up and becomes a good middle of the rotation starter.

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Moyer is a cagey veteran and depends more on location than velocity. That's what makes him dangerous. When I think of Moyer, I think of that old Charlie Hough joke: When a reporter asked about what was Hough's last fastball, Charlie replied, "78." The reporter looked and said, "78 mph?" To which Hough replied, "No, 1978, that was when I threw my last fastball!"

llahsram

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've been following Mitre since he was at Chicago... I'm not at all sold on him. Every year I fall into the trap thinking that its his breakout year. I hope he proves me wrong!

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Instead of looking at career stats which for any number of reasons may not be indicative of how well he pitches when healthy and starting, last April he finished the month with 3.82 ERA. He's starting and he's healthy (knock on wood) in 2007 and for myself that's the comparison I think is most relevant.

I would feel differently if he had four or five hundred innings under his belt about using career numbers but with 161 total inning and in 2005 for example he had three times as many relief appearances as starts, and 2006 double. So for me the career number is less an indicator than it might be with a more experienced pitcher.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
Exactly, Marlins2003.

This must be a dream, because we've been agreeing on a lot recently.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Instead of looking at career stats which for any number of reasons may not be indicative of how well he pitches when healthy and starting, last April he finished the month with 3.82 ERA. He's starting and he's healthy (knock on wood) in 2007 and for myself that's the comparison I think is most relevant.

I would feel differently if he had four or five hundred innings under his belt about using career numbers but with 161 total inning and in 2005 for example he had three times as many relief appearances as starts, and 2006 double. So for me the career number is less an indicator than it might be with a more experienced pitcher.
I don't disagree with much of what you wrote however why look only at the 5 starts he made in April?

He made two starts in May before going on the DL. On May 12th he only made 3 pitches so I think that's where he got injured and that one should be ignored. He made a start on May 5th in which he got pounded. In his 6th starts, including the May 5th start, he averaged 5.8 innings with a 4.89 ERA and a 1.49 WHIP.

Was he injured on May 5th and that's the reason he got pounded? I don't remember. Either way I think it's obvious to anyone other than a Malins homer that Moyer is better than Mitre.

Top Bottom