What's new

Phils agree with Madson, Alfonseca

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
Phils agree with Madson, Alfonseca
Right-handed relievers get one-year deals from Philadelphia
By Ken Mandel / MLB.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Ryan Madson avoided arbitration on Sunday by agreeing to a one-year, $1.1 million deal with the Phillies, leaving the club with four arbitration-eligible players.

Madson wasn't the only reliever to agree to a contract, as veteran reliever Antonio Alfonseca also accepted a one-year deal that could be worth up to $1.1 million, according to The Miami Herald. The newspaper cited Alfonseca's agent, Juan Iglesias, who said his client selected the Phillies over the Marlins.

Alfonseca was limited to 52 games over the past two seasons with the Rangers and Marlins. He was shut down in 2006 because of a sore right elbow. He compiled a 2.57 ERA in 79 games with Atlanta in 2004, his last full season.

Madson, 26, went 11-9 with two saves and a 5.69 ERA in 50 games, including 17 starts, in 2006. He finished second on the team in wins, third in innings pitched (134 1/3) and fourth in strikeouts (99), establishing career highs in all of those categories. As a reliever, Madson went 3-4 with a 4.50 ERA.

After shuttling between the bullpen and rotation last season, the right-hander is expected to exclusively be used as a reliever in 2007, and should serve in a late-inning role.

Originally selected by the Phillies in the ninth round of the 1998 First-Year Player Draft, Madson has spent his entire career with the Phillies, going 26-17 with three saves and a 4.35 ERA in 181 games.

The remaining four arbitration-eligible players are Geoff Geary, Brett Myers, Aaron Rowand and Chase Utley. Of that group, the team is considering a long-term deal with Utley that would essentially buy out his three arbitration years -- thus eliminating the yearly filing -- and perhaps delay his filing for free agency by a year or two.

Ken Mandel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
print this page

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Again the cheapness of our ownership screws the Marlins.

:pctoss

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score

couldnt have said it any better myself

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score

couldnt have said it any better myself
Ditto.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really think Ryan Madson would do wonders as a starter for another team

Top Bottom