What's new

Pudge At Third

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
He might be heading to third if the Marlins Trade Mike Lowell.I thin he should stay at catcher. We need him there but we have pretty good Backups so maybe it is a good move?

Pudge at third? Maybe in '05

By Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 6, 2003

Johnny Bench did it after 14 years of squatting behind the plate. Now, the modern-day catcher most often compared to the Reds' Hall of Famer is preparing for a move to third base to extend his career.

"Sometimes you need to start thinking about other positions,'' said Marlins catcher Pudge Rodriguez, who has caught 1,456 games in 11 1/2 seasons.

"That's a lot of years behind the plate. Someday I'll play third base. Not next year."

And probably not the year after that. But Rodriguez is so serious about a switch someday that on Florida's last homestand he approached infield coach Perry Hill about taking pre-game ground balls at third.

"It was his idea. He came up with it,'' Hill said. "He's smart enough to see that and realize that maybe this will prolong his career."

Rodriguez said he took practice grounders at third with Texas but he never spoke to the Rangers like he did with Hill about making the switch.

"If I can do it, I think I can play six to eight more years,'' said Rodriguez, who caught 28 of Florida's first 32 games.

Injuries have limited him to catching no more than 106 since he played 141 games at the position for the Rangers during his MVP season in 1999.

Third base would be a natural move for a 10-time All-Star with a knack for throwing out runners.

"He certainly has the arm for it," said Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell, who has offered to loan Rodriguez his glove. "And he fits the mold of a third baseman more than a first baseman because of his size (5-9)."

Rodriguez, 31, is signed to a one-year contract but has said he would like to finish his career with the Marlins. Until he makes that commitment, his work at third base will be limited to taking batting-practice grounders.

The Marlins don't want to risk injuring their everyday catcher, but they also don't want to help prepare him for a position he could end up playing for another team.

"He can take all the ground balls he wants, but as far as instruction or extra work, none of that during the season. Absolutely not,'' Hill said.

"That's the last thing we need for him, to be out there doing something for five years down the road that he can get hurt for this year. Down the road, if he wants to get more details, that's his call. We've got to make sure he's still going to be here."

Pudge on Palmeiro: Rodriguez said he's not surprised that former Rangers teammate Rafael Palmeiro is closing in on 500 home runs.

"He's one of the greatest hitters in the game, but nobody recognizes him. Now when he gets close to 500, everybody starts to recognize him. But he's always been a great hitter,'' Rodriguez said.

"He doesn't talk much. He just goes out and plays. Puts up his numbers on the field and keeps quiet. And there he is, three from 500. That's pretty good.''

Palmeiro and the Rangers host the Marlins on June 13-15.

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge at third? Maybe in '05

That first line tells me that we will never see it happen in a Marlins uniform.

Hell, its too hard to plan for who will be on the team in 2004, nevermind 2005.

later.......

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I still think he'll end up staying in Miami... Family...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge at 3rd?

not in a Fish uniform

Miguel Cabrera........thats all i have to say

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
He is Going to end up being a Marlins. In recent article he says he is ending his career here no matter what. Thats good because i thought he was leaving after the season but were still going to have him...

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
He is Going to end up being a Marlins. In recent article he says he is ending his career here no matter what. Thats good because i thought he was leaving after the season but were still going to have him... Players are alway's making empty comments and promises let me tell you something that I said when Thome signed in Philly.

Money can move mountains if someone wants him he'll be gone!

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge will never play third in Florida...
He'll play left... lol

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
He'll play left... lol
:lol Yea replace that Hollandsworthless! But i think pudge will end up playing third...

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
maybe even 2nd base, becu u odnt see luis coming back

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
???

Luis is leaving? News to me. Not to mention, Pudge doesn't exactly have the look of a 2B. :p

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
pudge was quoted in the paper last weekend saying that a position change to 2nd or 3rd could happen.

because of miguel cabera i dot see pudge at third. and i think pudge will play about another two seasons at catcher after this season. he still has a few more seasons.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Maybe he should replace DLee at 1st :mischief2 :p
not with Adrian coming up....

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
isnt stokes the better of he two?
yea but he is a year behind....

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
when you say a year behind do you mean that he did bad so his eta was set back a year or that he is just younger or drafter later?

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Luis isnt going to be traded for a long time. Pudge cannot play 2nd wats so ever. He isnt a 2nd base type guy. He can only play 3rd and outfield and is too small for 1st base. He will never play 2nd trust me...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
when you say a year behind do you mean that he did bad so his eta was set back a year or that he is just younger or drafter later?
drafted later and he is in AA ball, Adrian is in AAA ball

Latest posts

Top Bottom