What's new

Pudge has been a disappointment

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
he hasnt been what we were hoping for.....

he hits into a DP whenever we need him...

his d has been good for the most part but he makes some costly plays...

he hasnt been clutch.....

any other thoughts?

dawg31

Muckdog
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, he has a long way to go to earn that 10mill.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well it's easy to blame it on 10 million dollar man when this whole offense sucks..

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well it's easy to balme it on 10 million dollar man when this whole offense sucks..
but he isnt supposed to suck.....

Chatty

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have been extremely disappointed in him. At first I was thrilled that he was going to be playing for our team but to tell you the truth I now believe that Redmond and Castro could have done a better job than he is doing. What drives me the most crazy is to see all the double plays that he hits into. I was glad to see that Torborg got him out of the 3rd spot last night but I think that he has to hit even a little further down in the order. I would rather see Lowell (3) and then Encarnacion (4) and then maybe Pudge. In my opinion he is nowhere worth the $10 million he is being paid.

His production has been pretty mediocre so far. 267 AVG 5 HR 21 RBI.

He's been a dissapointment to a degree and it's magnified because we are losing so much.

Isn't Pudge a late bloomer? I am not sure, but I think he is.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yes he is, and you know, Redmond and Castro (Maybe Castro) wouldn't have 5 HR or 21 RBI right now if they were playing combined!

He may not be worth $10 Mill, but he is still the best damn catcher out there...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp I actually started to make a thread on this yesterday, but held up for some reason. Pudge is supposed to be our Cliff Floyd. He's our 10 million dollar guy. Pudge is the veteran star on this team. The calming influence, the future Hall of Famer behind the plate who will gun down the runners and pound the ball all over the field. What we've seen so far, after shining in a few games early, is a mediocre rate of throwing out runners, a poor strike zone judgement, and a weak average with runners on base.

Pudge is a double-play machine, which is nothing new unfortuntely. He's always been that way. But instead of waiting for a good pitch to drive, Pudge swings at virtually everything thrown and gets in an 0-2 or 1-2 hole immediately, then he's forced to make a defensive swing at every pitch, which usually ends up in a weak ground ball double play. When's the last time he had a 2 RBI game? I guess he's just in a slump like everyone else, but so far he has in no way been worth the money. His RBI numbers are fine, but as we've seen with Derek Lee, numbers don't tell the whole story.

What was it he said before the season? Something like "the rest of the league should watch and see what I do this year for the Marlins." Ok, anytime now Pudge...

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
The guy is a career . 300 hitter with 10 gold gloves and All-Star apperences...

He did/won all that stuff AFTER 6 full months of baseball...

When it's all said and done, the man behind the plate in the Marlins uniform WILL hit . 300, he WILL start the All-Star game, he WILL win a Gold-Glove! End of story!

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Granted - I'm one of the biggest "outers" of Pudge's many weaknesses.

However, the fact that I had to take the time to LOOK for weaknesses in Pudge's game only goes to show how good of a ballplayer he is. Give the man some time.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
the only problem is that the Marlins are running out of time.....

i think Red and Ramon would have 21 rbi combined by the way Wild Card...

*anyway, Pudge did look really pumped when Pierre scored last night from 3rd on the sac fly....*

Time to turn it around Pudge

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
when you make 10 million....

the expectations are higher.

Pudge has struggled so far.

Pudge WILL NOT win the Gold Glove though, of that I am sure.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
When it's all said and done, the man behind the plate in the Marlins uniform WILL hit . 300, he WILL start the All-Star game, he WILL win a Gold-Glove! End of story!
HE might hit .300 but as of now signs point to no...

The fans deceide who starts The all star game and I'm guessing it will be Piazza once again but if you want the guy who deserves it... I'm being biased here but Lieby

He will not win a gold glove and I would bank on that.

He may improve but I guarantee that it will not be The Numbers the marlins want.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge hasn't done anything special to now.. and now I'm starting to believe he won't hit over .285 (which is still pretty good.. but he's had some bad throws and passballs... he's a bust for my expectations... :confused

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea it isnt only pusge thats hitting bad other people are hitting terribe but i thought pudge was going to be better than this. Maybe he's justin a major slump and will get out of it very soon....

CHRISTYTOD

You can't blame Pudge too much - he came from a team that for the most part had a lot of 'protection' in the lineup. He is getting a lot of bad pitches here because the other teams know that there is NO other huge offensive threat on our team besides him.

Case in point: Preston Wilson - he moves to a powerhouse offensive lineup and he is hitting over .300 this season, in between Helton and Walker.

Put Pudge back on the Rangers right now and I'm sure he is well over .300.

I don't blame him - we have an anemic offense as a whole.

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
remeber pudge has barely played in 2 seasons... i agree he hasnt been doing great like he worth but he will start hitting. I think today he going 3-4

Top Bottom