What's new

Pudge new position? Long Term deal with Marlins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...rts/5727713.htm

Posted on Sun, Apr. 27, 2003

MARLINS NOTEBOOK
Pudge mulls new position for long term
BY CLARK SPENCER
cspencer@herald.com

After catching 1,448 games, Iv?n Rodr?guez is giving strong consideration to taking up a new position in order to extend his career.

''I've been thinking about it and, if I can do it, I think I can play six to eight more years,'' said Rodr?guez, who has been taking ground balls in the infield under the guidance of Marlins infield coach Perry Hill. ``I could be more dangerous [in the long run] at a new position.''

Johnny Bench and Joe Torre each made the switch from catcher to third base toward the end of their careers, something Rodr?guez said he is also considering to extend his career, whether it's with the Marlins or not.

''Maybe that's a good position for me to go to,'' Rodr?guez said.

``I've been catching for 11 years, and that's a lot of years behind the plate.''

Injuries have prevented Rodr?guez from catching more than 106 games since he played 141 games at the position for the Rangers during his MVP season in 1999. He has caught in 22 of the Marlins' first 25 games, though.

''I'm the everyday catcher right now,'' said Rodr?guez, adding he has no plans of giving up his current role in the immediate future.

Rodr?guez is signed only to a one-year contract but said he would like to finish out his career with the Marlins.

Reaction score
yes, that works out good for him and the Marlins. I think Lowell will be gone by the end of the year. Pudge could play 3B and RED and RAY will play catcher. That way we don't lose much hitting plus, maybe could add a solid starter or LF.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea that is very smart, He could be more effective like that and he wont get beat up as much. I hope he keeps playing with us and is right about ending his career here. I think he is very serious about it and can produce many runs for us...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would think the Marlins would rather have Cabrera at 3rd..... and frankly, so would I

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think they will trade lowell and bring up Cabrera. We would probaly trade lowell for some good, cheap and young relief pitchers to make our bullpen better...it will be hard trading lowell away, he has had very good seasons with us.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
lol

relief pitchers?

anyway, why not throw Pudge in LF.... or atleats have him take pop flies and stuff during BP..... he couldnt be any worse than Millar was

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
That is true... Get TH out of here, stick him in LF, put Ramon behind the plate... Sounds like a plan! lol.

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
It is interesting to think about from time to time...

but it's done.

As is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom