What's new

Q&A about Marlins prospects

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Q: Mac from Durham, NC asks:
A few Marlin questions since I'm away from my beloved Fish here Durham. First, Adrian Gonzalez seems to be hitting AAA pretty well so far and Miguel Cabrera is absolutely tearing up AA, any chance we could see them as September call-ups? Opening Day '04? Mid-season '04? With Adrian Gonzalez coming up, is there talk of trying to move Jason Stokes to the OF, i remember they tried earlier but it didn't go so well? Could Derrek Lee play OF? A finally, the Marlins SP prospects seem to be tearing it up so far with Willis, Levinski and Hutchinson. Are those the top 3 or who would you put in the rest of the top 5, and what is their timetable?

A: Josh Boyd: Hey Mac, Durham isn't that far from the Marlins, you can head out to Zebulon and see Miguel Cabrera and a host of other prospects play. But Im sure you knew that. September callups are not out of the question, but more importantly, the Marlins might be willing to look at Gonzalez or Cabrera as early as next spring. I think Cabrera is going to be one of those special talents, and those types of players are capable of speeding up their ETA. I think Lee could play outfield, if needed, but nobody can match his Gold Glove caliber defense at first. They may look for a trade option there instead. As for pitching, you have to count Dontrelle Willis in there, followed by Ronald Belizario and Denny Bautista.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...chat042503.html

*I've told you guys about RHP Ronald Belizario his stuff is that good. the Marlins have been looking at him as starter but I feel he's a closer in the making.

Also, I really like Miguel Cabrera's future as he gets older, improves his plate discipline and starts turning all those doubles into homers. Any chance he competes for the Marlins' third-base job next spring when Mike Lowell is gone as a free agent? If not, when do you expect to see him?

Nate Stephens
Boston

Cabrera also signed for big money, a Venezuelan-record $1.9 million, when he turned pro in 1999. Unlike Guthrie, Cabrera got an early start on his pro career, making his minor league debut at 17. He has gotten better every year, and 2003 has been no exception despite the fact that he's one of the youngest players in Double-A at 20. He's hitting .390-3-25 through 21 games and has tightened his strike zone (eight walks, 10 strikeouts), which had been his biggest weakness in the past. He also has 10 more doubles after smacking 43 last year, and should have well above-average power as he matures.

Lowell actually won't be a free agent until after the 2004 season. If Cabrera spent a full season in Double-A this year and another in Triple-A in 2004, he'd be ready for the big leagues shortly before he turned 22. But if he keeps mashing the ball like this, he'll be ready by mid-2004. The Marlins always could trade Lowell this offseason, avoiding his arbitration price tag, and find a stopgap until Cabrera is ready next year.

* We all know if the Marlins are out of it Lowell could be gone and Cabrera will probable take his place this season.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ron sounds like an interesting player. Man it feels good to know we have a lot of excellent high ball prospects! Maybe this organization has finally produced a hitter with some pop.

You believe the Marlins will trade Lowell at the deadline if we are 10-15 GB? It seems from the article, that at 20, Cabrera should stay this year at AA then maybe next year after he tears up AAA we could see what hes got for MLB.

:plain

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
IMO I think "IF" the Marlins trade Lowell it will to the Cubs (are loaded with what the Marlins want) but I truly hope the Marlins are in the race in June. :(

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I honestly think we will be in the race by June, and we won't trade Lowell. The more we stay in the race, the more money we will make, and the better chance of keeping Lowell. We keep Lowell, I trade A-Gon if he has a good season for maybe a great/good pitcher, depends on his season, and move Miguel back to SS. And If it were me, I would move D-Lee into Left, and put Adrian Gonzalez at first. My opening day line-up, next season.

1.) Pierre CF (Obvious)
2.) Cabrera SS (Replaces traded Gonzalez)
3.) Pudge C (Will eventually re-sign)
4.) D-Lee LF (Will hit 30+ HR, and will take clean-up again)
5.) Lowell 3B (Usuall great season this year, will stay)
6.) Encarnacion RF (Will hit 30/30 this year)
7.) Adrian Gonzalez 1B (Too good not to call-up)
8.) Hooper 2B (Castillo leaves, FA)

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i dont see Cabs moving back to SS, although before this year, I would have been praying for it but AGon has been playing out of his mind

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I am not sure i am sold on moving lee to left field.....

granted, someone will have to be moved from first base eventually...

the same thing happened in houston a few years back...

lance berkman was a first baseman

daryl ward was a first baseman

jason lane was a first baseman

now they are all outfielders...

but if you are going to keep lee....people will have to learn new positions....

you would have lee, gonzalez and stokes....two of them will be forced to learn new positions or you will have to do some trading.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well my thinking is Stokes will still be in the minors next year, and Adrian will be in the majors. Lee definately has the speed and defensive ability to play Left.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
But Stokes will only be in the minors for so long, provided he continues to progress like he has.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
By the time he is called up, D-Lee will either have left as a FA, or will have huge trade potential, and could be worth a 15-20 game winner...

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
Portland had a Castillo clone last year, I'd rather see him over Hooper

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
are you guys rely wilin tgie up derrek lee's gold glove defense?

we are always raving about his defense i think he is the best defensive 1b in the n and top 5 1b in the nl.

why would you move him to left. i say while gonzalez is young they should move him to the OF?

in my mind i think lee should be a lock at first.

and i strongly feel that one of the two, stokes and gonzalez will be eventually traded. its not like lee is going to be retiring soon he's no older than 26.

i would trade one of our two 1B prospects.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade anyone. I would find a place for all of them.

Lee is 27.

And you have to move Lee to Left because Adrian Gonzalez can absolutely NOT play OF. He can't. lee has all the aspects to not just be an outfielder, but a very good one. I would definately sacrafise his defensive genius at first for a lot of extra offense with Gonzalez...

Top Bottom