What's new

Quinnipiac University pulls plug on "May Weekend"

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
brief: Events like this go on at most schools in the NE. The school schedules events for students, and students abuse the privilages and drink like crazy in public and the cops don't do anything about it.

So this year after May Weekend ended the school e-mailed us and told us they are canceling May Weekend for next year (it has gone on for decades) because a few people went over the top drinking.

The issue at hand is the few events they are canceling did not allow alchahol in them. So, they are effectivly punishing those who choose to enjoy the school sponsored activites as opposed to the drinking activities.

http://www.nhregister.com/site/index.cfm?n...17515&rfi=8

I'm quoted in the story...

comments?

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't conduct a poll to see how students felt about this.

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
haha! This administration could care less what the students thought. The letter said because of a few people who may not be invited back to school, they decided to take away the entire weekend!

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
add to that I don't drink...so now I feel like I am being punished for NOT violating university policy? How fair is that?

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
add to that I don't drink...so now I feel like I am being punished for NOT violating university policy? How fair is that?

not drinking in college..can't fathom what that would be like.

Flamarlins3

Muckdog
Reaction score
When someone dies, a sexual assault, and there are over a dozen arrests in a weekend the university is going to have to do something. I'm not really surprised that the university didn't consult the students because honestly what do you think the poll would look like? Now there are probably other options the university can take and probably should have done rather than piss off an entire student body. My school has had a pretty rough semester when it comes to alcohol and basically what they've done is have more police and ALE around. And it definitely has cut down on the amount of big parties. Every semester we have a huge party at my place which is usually can reach 200-300 people, but didn't this semester because of the tighter policing. Hell just last night (reading day eve) there were 3 checkpoints within a mile of each other. Granted there still is a ton of underage drinking, but this would probably have been a better solution for Quinnipiac.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow thats really lame. We had spring weekend which was the second to last weekend in april. I believe almost all the universities and colleges do this. It sucks that they got rid of it.

TarHeel324

Muckdog
Reaction score
When someone dies, a sexual assault, and there are over a dozen arrests in a weekend the university is going to have to do something. I'm not really surprised that the university didn't consult the students because honestly what do you think the poll would look like? Now there are probably other options the university can take and probably should have done rather than piss off an entire student body. My school has had a pretty rough semester when it comes to alcohol and basically what they've done is have more police and ALE around. And it definitely has cut down on the amount of big parties. Every semester we have a huge party at my place which is usually can reach 200-300 people, but didn't this semester because of the tighter policing. Hell just last night (reading day eve) there were 3 checkpoints within a mile of each other. Granted there still is a ton of underage drinking, but this would probably have been a better solution for Quinnipiac.
Wow thats pretty extreme, I guess UNC DPS and Chapel Hill police are really lax compared to Elon. The most thats been done here is police at the end of Frat Court to catch people drinking as they leave parties and a few cops on main campus to catch public urination, vandalism of university property, etc. Hell cops showed up to only 1 party I went to all year, and they left without telling people to leave.

Flamarlins3

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow thats pretty extreme, I guess UNC DPS and Chapel Hill police are really lax compared to Elon. The most thats been done here is police at the end of Frat Court to catch people drinking as they leave parties and a few cops on main campus to catch public urination, vandalism of university property, etc. Hell cops showed up to only 1 party I went to all year, and they left without telling people to leave.

Well we've had one dude paralyzed from a drunken fight...we were featured on WFMY about our heavy heavy drinking. And they got some pretty damning footage and then skewed it to make us look worse. Elon has really got black eye this semester when it comes to this crap so they are really cracking down.

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score

not drinking in college..can't fathom what that would be like.

i went through college without even drinking alcohol. my school actually has a drug and alcohol ban on campus, which is rare.

but too bad they got rid of the drink-free things. now you're going to keep the non drinkers from doing anything. too bad.

Top Bottom