What's new

Rangers intentionally drop a pop up to allow Mike Minor to reach 200th K

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rangers-mike-minor-has-teammate-intentionally-drop-pop-up-in-order-to-reach-200-strikeouts-vs-red-sox/

Mike Minor asked his first baseman to drop a foul pop up to give him a chance at reaching 200 strikeouts. Alex Cora was mad at this, saying it wasn't playing the game the right way even though it was a meaningless game.

I think it is a little screwy not because it's important to the specific game but more so because did you really get 200 K's if one of them was supposed to be an easy pop out? It's like, I've always wondered, if you're a single short of the cycle and you hit a ball into the gap that could easily be a double or more... would it be wrong to stop at first base? 

Thoughts?

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Rangers manager Chris Woodward responded by pointing out the Red Sox were deliberately trying to keep Minor from getting the last strikeout by swinging at the first pitch. Minor set the side down in order in the eighth on just three pitches.

"...they swung at three pitches in a row in the eighth inning down by two. They chose to not try to win the game as well, they were trying to keep him from striking a guy out."

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
Who shits a fuck?

The batter got another chance to get a hit, and struck out. I'd be more mad at that.