What's new

Rays go cashless

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25855304/tampa-bay-rays-tropicana-field-going-cash-free-2019

Seems pretty stupid to me - particularly for an organization that struggles with attendance and has to continually try and enhance the experience for folks.  What happens when the inevitable "system" goes down and charges can't be placed through?  What about when you have young kids from a school going to a game - are the Rays expecting their parents to buy them Rays gift cards in advance (good luck getting every last cent back on a gc too) in case the kid wants a snack/souvenir? 

Cash is king.

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
This doesn't seem like a good idea. Having more payment options is fine and good, but eliminating cash seems a little much.

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
my only thought is that Kevin Cash was supposed to be fired and someone thought "cashless" meant this instead.

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
my only thought is that Kevin Cash was supposed to be fired and someone thought "cashless" meant this instead.
Nah only the Marlins make such dumb mistakes. Jeter found some money under Sherman's couch cushions and told Hill to go get Harper and Machado. So he signs Dixon Machado and tries to sign Bryan Harper.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Moronic for the vendors.  It makes sense at the concession stands themselves, its going to be a pain in the ass for the vendors coming down the seats.  

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
Yea I thought this thread was gonna say that Kevin Cash got fired. 

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
The article says this will cut transaction times in HALF??? No way. That makes it sound like everyone was using cash and the employees took forever to count and deliver change. There's no way that many people were paying in cash for this change to lead that drastic of a time change. 

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
The article says this will cut transaction times in HALF??? No way. That makes it sound like everyone was using cash and the employees took forever to count and deliver change. There's no way that many people were paying in cash for this change to lead that drastic of a time change. 
I think they're forgetting that's a "perfect world" scenario too.  Tampa is stocked full of old people who still write paper checks for crying out loud.  How much time is going to be added by people trying to pay in cash and being told no? And again, what happens when the POS system crashes/goes offline due to some error? Maybe they had serious issues with concession workers pocketing cash? No clue but this is idiotic. 

Piazza31

Muckdog
Reaction score
I want to see someone try to pay with a check, then forget their debit card pin... then try to swipe their AAA card.

Only to accidentally walk away with their soda, crackerjack and ice cream helmet without paying because the cashier walked away to look for a supervisor.

Actually....

I'm going to Tampa this year.

Piazza31

Muckdog
Reaction score
This sounds plausible.
I see this as a precursor to them "Mismanaging" the stadium and attendence / revenues... and forcing their way out of St. Pete. Much like the St. Louis / LA Rams situation.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Why don't they just devote a register or two to cash and cards ONLY.  i.e. there's 4 registers at a stand, have 2 be cash only, 2 be card only.  The card line may go faster, but you still take cash for those that use cash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom