What's new

Red Sox-Tigers game

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
I went to the Red Sox-Tigers game today to catch up some former Marlins and for the first time ever in a game I attended the benches cleared, although no punches were thrown. It started in the first when Josh Beckett hit Gary Sheffield with a pitch and later he hit Magglio Ordonez. A couple of innings later with Todd Jones on the hill he missed with back to back pitches at JD Drew. They gave him and Jim Leyland the boot, Jones got in a shouting match with the Sox 3B coach and then the benches emptied, they even came charging in from the bullpens. I've been to several games over many years and had never seen benches clear, it was a thrill to say the least.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Big Texas gets into some scraps doesnt he? I like the intensity and I miss him on our team.

He's not a big fan of Ryan Howard as most of us know too.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score
its always nice when the sawx take on the personality of their fans

Bryan

Muckdog
Reaction score
For the record, Ordonez was sent to the hospital after Beckett hit him in the head.

I don't think he deserves an "atta boy", The Don.

Mark

Muckdog
Reaction score
For the record, Ordonez was sent to the hospital after Beckett hit him in the head.

Beckett said he just didn't have command of his curve yesterday...so it wasn't intentional.

However, hitters shouldn't have to get hit in order for him to find his command. Especially in the head. Especially after someone had already been hit.

Luckily Maggs will be ok, and no punches were thrown or anything. Hopefully its water under the bridge.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score

It kind of came out wrong. I wasn't trying to give him an atta boy for the bean ball. Sorry.

I just miss him gettin all fired up on the mound. The Jeremy Hermida I Look Like I Don't Give A Sh*t attitude isnt my style.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
The best is when you're IN a game when the benches clear.

One time during a travel ball game this exact thing happened. We had our #3 and #4 guys plunked in the game, and my friend Jonathan hit their #3 dead in the back. The kid started charging the mound, and Jon bent over as the kid kept running and flipped him over onto the ground off his back. The benches cleared immediately... Our catcher actually tackled the first kid who even came near our pitcher Ray Lews-style (he's also a linebacker). haha good times.

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't imagine Todd Jones shouting at anybody. He seems like such a mellow guy.

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
When Jones got ejected he just flipped the ball up in the air about 20 feet and started walking towards the dugout then, when Leyland got the boot, first Leyland then Jones started jawing at Sox 3b coach Hale. From my seat on LF line we couldn't hear what he was saying but Jones was rather animate in his discussion.

Top Bottom